Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 24th Nov 17, 10:40 PM
    • 3,989Posts
    • 1,840Thanks
    gt94sss2
    Santander Select changes
    • 24th Nov 17, 10:40 PM
    Santander Select changes 24th Nov 17 at 10:40 PM
    I was on the phone to Santander today and they told me that as the beginning of the week they had relaunched their Select account.

Existing Select customers need to ask to change to their new current account if they want it.

The main features of both the old and new Santander Select accounts appear identical (same monthly fee, same interest/cashback etc).

However, they have replaced the gold debit card (with which you could withdraw £750/day) with a new black debit card that has a higher £1000 daily cash machine withdrawal limit.

Also, the first £500 of any overdraft is fee free.

You can apply for an new account or transfer your existing Santander account to it here
Page 1
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 24th Nov 17, 11:46 PM
    • 1,489 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 24th Nov 17, 11:46 PM
    • 24th Nov 17, 11:46 PM

You can apply for an new account or transfer your existing Santander account to it here
    Originally posted by gt94sss2
    Unless you've already got the max.. in which case you'd have to transfer one to get it.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 25th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 25th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    • 25th Nov 17, 10:36 AM
    I think I'll leave it as it is, I'd confuse the new black debit card with the black credit card. I'm easily confused.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • HardSpend
    • By HardSpend 25th Nov 17, 8:44 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    HardSpend
    • 25th Nov 17, 8:44 PM
    • 25th Nov 17, 8:44 PM
    I think I'll leave it as it is, I'd confuse the new black debit card with the black credit card. I'm easily confused.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    same here, gold>black
    • JGUK
    • By JGUK 27th Nov 17, 12:32 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    JGUK
    • 27th Nov 17, 12:32 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 12:32 PM
    I don’t think it’s that simple they said it was 15-20 minutes and it’s an actual account change from the Gold Account to the Select Account.

Once the account is changed then the new black card can be issued apparently.

I said I’d pass as I didn’t have 15-20 minutes and not sure it’s worth it for an overdraft I don’t use and 250 extra cash limit which I don’t use.

The advisor did say the gold cards are about to be stopped but he was unsure whether the free cash withdrawals were tied to the underlying gold current account or the gold debit card.

Oh well.
    Thanks
    JG
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 27th Nov 17, 1:14 PM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:14 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:14 PM
    I donít think itís that simple they said it was 15-20 minutes and itís an actual account change from the Gold Account to the Select Account.

Once the account is changed then the new black card can be issued apparently.

I said Iíd pass as I didnít have 15-20 minutes and not sure itís worth it for an overdraft I donít use and 250 extra cash limit which I donít use.

The advisor did say the gold cards are about to be stopped but he was unsure whether the free cash withdrawals were tied to the underlying gold current account or the gold debit card.

Oh well.
    Originally posted by JGUK
    The free withdrawals are linked to the gold debit card - we were advised not to use Santander ATMs outside the UK & Spain until they were issued - only UK & Spanish ATMs would be FOC.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 27th Nov 17, 1:41 PM
    • 4,837 Posts
    • 9,138 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:41 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:41 PM
    I don't think we will bother either. It is quite nice having the gold Santander select card and the black 123 credit card. Having 2 black cards will be a total pain especially as my first direct personal account card is also black. We don't use overdrafts and really not bothered about getting £1000 in cash out as only once in a blue moon is that needed.
    2 weeks to go until early retirement in December . Debt free and mortgage free.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • JGUK
    • By JGUK 27th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    JGUK
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    If thats the case then they can currently re-issue gold cards but not issue new ones anymore.

One person was unsure on how much longer they could re-issue the gold cards for whilst another said indefinitely so no idea on that one.

I always thought it was the underlying Gold account that made the withdrawls free not the actual debit card.

In Santander Spain ALL debit cards for normal customers are gold apart from the most basic and Select customers have black debit cards so I'm guessing they're bringing the UK into line with Spain with this change.

Thanks
    Thanks
    JG
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 28th Nov 17, 2:12 AM
    • 3,989 Posts
    • 1,840 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:12 AM
    • 28th Nov 17, 2:12 AM
    I think I'll leave it as it is, I'd confuse the new black debit card with the black credit card.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    tbh this was one of my first reactions as well. Though having seen what I think the new cards look like, I don't think there is much risk of me confusing them with each other (I have the Zero card)

I donít think itís that simple they said it was 15-20 minutes and itís an actual account change from the Gold Account to the Select Account.
    Originally posted by JGUK
    Yes, its an account change - and the 15-20 minutes would be for all the small print they need to read out if you do it by telephone.. which is one reason I prefer to do things online!
    • JGUK
    • By JGUK 5th Dec 17, 11:25 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    JGUK
    Has anyone else done the change and got the black debit card?

I can't see my card at all online for things like going abroad/replacement card/etc - can anyone else?

They sent it off to the back office last week but its still broke - might be a problem with these black debit cards apparently.
    Thanks
    JG
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 6th Dec 17, 1:44 AM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    I'd imagine they'll write out (when they are discontinuing the current setup)
    Probably better to move then, if they are having teething problems.
    • JGUK
    • By JGUK 6th Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    JGUK
    Iím not gonna move over not being able to see my card in online banking - thatís a bit drastic :-)

Just wondering if itís a fault everyone with the new debit cards is having.

Doesnít look like anyoneís made the switch though lol
    Thanks
    JG
    • JGUK
    • By JGUK 7th Dec 17, 11:48 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    JGUK
    No one else changed over yet?
    Thanks
    JG
    • Revex
    • By Revex 8th Dec 17, 12:49 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Revex
    I did online and it was changed over the same day. Haven't received anything through the post yet though.
    • JGUK
    • By JGUK 8th Dec 17, 1:00 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    JGUK
    When you get and activate your new black debit card let me know if you can see it online and do things like mark yourself as going abroad or issue a replacement card or get a pin.

Online banking doesn’t seem to see mine at all - the call centre can see the card though.
    Thanks
    JG
    • Revex
    • By Revex 8th Dec 17, 2:26 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Revex
    I will let you know.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Dec 17, 9:31 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    EssexExile
    As your OP says there's not much difference between old & new & you have to ask to change, I haven't asked. I've not heard anything about it from Santander.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • JGUK
    • By JGUK 10th Dec 17, 4:17 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    JGUK
    Thanks for the updates, will wait until someone else has changed over.
    Thanks
    JG
    • JGUK
    • By JGUK 11th Dec 17, 6:24 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    JGUK
    Called up today and asked - its a known issue that they're dealing with and should be fixed in the next few days.
    Thanks
    JG
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 11th Dec 17, 7:22 PM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 3,016 Thanks
    ceredigion
    But quite like my gold card. Yes I know, sad moronic fool.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,359Posts Today

7,582Users online

Martin's Twitter