Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikael1888
    • By mikael1888 6th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mikael1888
    Help:Three network are scamming me
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    Help:Three network are scamming me 6th Dec 17 at 8:48 PM
    Hi all.

3 months ago I renewed my contract with three on the basis I got a free handset, I was adamant I wouldn't be paying for a handset as I still had my iphone 6 in great condition, so was willing to wait for a good deal.

3 offered me the Samsung 8 with a free handset and six months half price on a decent tarrif.

I then noticed on my first bill I had been charged £50 for the handset. I called three and was told someone would be in contact with me. I forgot about it, was not contacted, then notice it was taken our of my account.

So cancelled the direct debit to ensure I was called asap. I was then contacted, explained my situation and was again told I would be contacted after someone listened to the initial call.

I then went into hospital leaving my phone at home to keep it safe. 3 began pestering my mum, she took it out for me about 10 years ago when I had no credit, during this time I renewed the contract a few times thinking it was in my name. As I paid the bill and it was my billing address.

I got out of hospital this week so phoned to sort this out. I attempted to explain to the first phone agent my issue for about 10 minutes, he played dumb during this time informing me I had to pay my bill to resume service. I then asked to speak with someone with better English who could understand my issue, he then informs me that he understood perfectly, that I was charged for a free handset!!!

I'm then transferred to a Scottish guy. He says that I agreed to paying the cost of the handset 3 times. I explain I know as a complete fact that I didn't, as I was listening specifically for that. He said he was reading off a transcript so I asked him to read it back, he then says it wasn't a transcript at all, but a rough outline of the call?

Finally I asked for the transcript and to listen to the voice call.
    He said I could fill a Request for Access to Personal Information. To which I'll have to pay £10 for the pleasure

However

"Voice recordings of calls you’ve made to us or that we’ve made to you.
    We don’t record all calls to and from us and any recordings that we do make are held for no longer than
    six months. So we may not be able to send you a recording of a specific call that you request."

So they basically have me over a barrel, they've batantly lied on the call outline. I would just stop paying my bill but they are harrassing my mum and she's raging that she has a late payment on her credit file.

Pease help, thanks!
Page 2
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 7th Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    spadoosh
    There should be an easy solution to this.

So they either have the transcript or they dont. If they do it should vindicate you, youll get an apology and maybe an extra data bundle for a month.

If they dont, youve got an argument to make. They say you took out a contract you need to pay the bill. You say youre not paying the bill because theyve charged you wrong. They say theyve charged you as per contract, you say prove it and they say theyve not got the transcript. Well if they dont, they dont have any contract agreement for you.

It worked really well for me with vodafone when they offered me 30% discount. Unfortunately i got disconnected from the web chat while the man went to process the deal. Naturally couldnt get hold of that person again and they put the contract through without the 30%. Vodafone told me i would have to pay the higher amount as per contract. I asked to be put through to cancellations and asked to leave the contract as they where refusing to honour the original. They said sure that would be £xxx. So I asked for the transcript of me agreeing to the contract (the same one where they offered 30% discount) of which they couldnt provide. So i simply asked the question of which theyd prefer, nothing or £508.80 over 24 months. They chose the latter.
    Don't be angry!
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 7th Dec 17, 9:12 PM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 3,021 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Where do "we" say that?

Most companies that record calls do it for training purposes. The "implication" that you say doesn't exist is that the company is telling the person on the other end (ie you) that the call is being recorded. The implication therefore is that the person on the other end (ie you) didn't realise/know the call was being recorded because it wasn't being recorded by the person on the other end (ie you).
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup

Having worked in multiple call centres that is a lie they tell you.

The real reason is in case a dispute occurs such as the "you said this" of course the company will claim they can't give you a copy of the recording and often you aren't allowed to record them but thats all lies too.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 7th Dec 17, 11:33 PM
    • 1,833 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Having worked in multiple call centres that is a lie they tell you.

The real reason is in case a dispute occurs such as the "you said this" of course the company will claim they can't give you a copy of the recording and often you aren't allowed to record them but thats all lies too.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    Remind us when you last worked in a call centre?

Having been a call centre trainer, I can confirm that call recordings are used for training purposes. They're also handy where a complaint occurs. Why would a company claim they can't give you the call recording, which of your multiple call centres had such a policy?
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 8th Dec 17, 7:01 AM
    • 13,193 Posts
    • 8,360 Thanks
    arcon5
    Write a formal letter of complaint.
    If no success and they can't provide the recording write again offering payment subject to all late payment marks removed from your mum's credit file.
    For your mum's sake though sort it once and for all. She's a victim also
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 10th Dec 17, 7:16 PM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 3,021 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Remind us when you last worked in a call centre?

Having been a call centre trainer, I can confirm that call recordings are used for training purposes. They're also handy where a complaint occurs. Why would a company claim they can't give you the call recording, which of your multiple call centres had such a policy?
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Oh I don't know, maybe CURRENTLY

And worked in MULTIPLE ones in the past.

The words used by the computer always said to customer at start of call were variations on "we MAY record your call"

But it was ALWAYS recorded, just in case a complaint occured.

And yes who said it wasn't used for training as well.

The can't use the call was when a customer said they had a dispute and wanted a recording of the call and were told they couldn't due to "data protection" or the such, or if customer said they had their own recording companies would tell customer it can't be used only theirs can be.

Basically companies cover their own backs even though the law said one thing either bad training or rude staff have their own interpretation of the rules.

Very rude to bring up "when did you last work in a call centre" which implies my knowledge is invalid, and somehow only yours is.

And on top of that is my times as a customer being told same things like my own recordings were not valid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,359Posts Today

7,582Users online

Martin's Twitter