PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How self sufficient can you get when you don't have a smallholding?

Comments

• Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Home cooked food, allotment, foraging, swapping, giving stuff away - the more you give away the more you get back it seems...eps plants and seeds!

It all depends on what you mean by 'self-sufficient'...just scout around a bit, add a few things to your arsenal; scout a bit more and keep adding things that you enjoy doing. For example, I made soap once but didn't like using it so didn't make it again. But making bread, esp the slap and fold method, is wonderful. And growing most of our own fruit and veg is fabulous but quite hard work.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • dom300186
    dom300186 Posts: 342 Forumite
    One really cost saving thing that I've started doing is making my own tortilla wraps. Very quick and simple, but cost pennies and you can vary the flavour to suit your tastes.

Going to have a go at pitta bread and possibly bagels (which I love) especially the onion ones.

how do you do this do you have a recipe?
    Trying to make big cut backs!!!

:TExpecting DS2 EDD 28/March/2012:T

:bdaycake:
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    dom300186 wrote: »
    how do you do this do you have a recipe?
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1864/flour-tortilla-wraps.aspx
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • we make our own soap, moisturising balm, tooth powder and deodorant, so neither of us buy any toiletries (saves an absolute fortune!) Same goes for the laundry powder, softner (vinegar) and cleaning spray.

we only have a small back yard, but it's enough to provide us with salad vegs in the summer and grow our own herbs in pots & dry them for the winter. Also make jams from fruits picked at the pick your own farm (which is a great day out).

The only things we really buy are food (and yarn..... that's my weakness) but everything else we either make or buy second hand. We didn't use to make any of it though, three years ago, I was the brand-loving shopperholic :) We started making one thing ourself, then another thing, then another, slowly building up on the skills we needed. I wanted to learn to be a bit more self sufficient because I hated being dictated by the big companies as to what I should buy, put on my face, etc.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    How do you make tooth powder, please?

My mum smoked when I was a child so we all used that Eucryll Smokers Toothpowder. The dentist was horrified when I told him and made her buy me toothpaste but it really did get your teeth clean! I've been looking for some for my son to use occasionally as he doesn't brush nearly as well as he should (luckily he's inherited his dad's strong teeth and neither have a filling in their heads.)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • toothpowder - mix baking soda with pepper mint oil - takes a bit of getting used to, but if it's good enough for the victorians, it's good enough for us!

I also found that once I stopped using commercial toothpaste, I suffered a lot less from mouth ulcers.
  • you can also get most coffee/wine stains off your teeth by rubbing baking powder on with cotton buds.
  • I make playdough for my little boy to play with, easy, cheap and it's nicer to play with. You can add whatever food colourings you like and scents like lavender oil or vanilla extract for extra fun.

I am also self-sufficient in hairdressing. I bought clippers to do my little boys hair, and I've got a good technique for cutting my own hair too. This is going to save us a fortune over the years.

I don't have anything in the ground, but I've strawberries and mint in pots and going to plant more herbs in pots soon.

Of course baking is great fun to do with children!
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    toothpowder - mix baking soda with pepper mint oil - takes a bit of getting used to, but if it's good enough for the victorians, it's good enough for us!

I also found that once I stopped using commercial toothpaste, I suffered a lot less from mouth ulcers.

Thanks, I wil give that a try. My son's dad had grown up using salt and lemon juice which I've tried but it makes me gag, peppermint oil sounds much nicer!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • I thought ovf another one, I stopped buying shaving gel at £2.12 a pop and use body lotion with water mixed in 50/50 is a little watery but still works just as good and a bottle lasts AGES. I always have loads of body lotion since I use body butter as a moisturiser and don't use much at all and I always get tons of it for Christmas. Good way to use up those ones that aren't so nice either.

I second the tortilla wraps cost pennies save pounds!
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business