Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Comments

• nikki.paul
    nikki.paul Posts: 173 Forumite
    I have 2 accounts that defaulted and were passed onto a debt collector unidebt who are still after the money. I owe the natwest £3000 they owe me £7000 I rang natwest (not the number you ring regarding charges) and they agreed to put the debt collectors on hold for 1 month ( thats big of them when they owe me money ) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    get your claim in even if your charges are less than you owe its still money of your debt and we all want to be debt free

nikki
    Avid freecycler (Received Dishwasher, Cooker, 0ver, fridge, freezer and Bathroom suit)

Reclaimed bank charges from natwest £5252.00
    :beer: Dealt with my Debts( still debt free 4 years on yipee:beer:
    Make £2012 in 2012 0027.50/2012
  • Hi I have managed to claim back my charges from natwest Yippppeeee, i know that i was charged by abbey and royal bank of scotland but i dont have my account numbers or the exact dates that i banked with them, will the banks give me this information if they know i plan to claim my charges back...
  • lizzie12_2
    lizzie12_2 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Hello everyone

Have been reading the links on people claiming their bank charges and thought it would be worth asking the following...........

4 1/2 years ago oh and I changed bank accounts....... and shredded all the bank statements we had for that account.

Everything running smoothly at the moment but have been thinking over the last few days and reading the info on this site.... do you think we are in a position to claim the charges from this old account which was closed just over 4 1/2 years ago but we are still in the 6 year time limit.?

How long has it taken people to recieve their money?
    Does it cost to ask for old bank statements?
    Could be a non starter but worth asking....
    Any information will be helpful.

Thanks......L.
  • Julieoolie
    Julieoolie Posts: 42 Forumite
    lizzie12 wrote: »
    Hello everyone

Have been reading the links on people claiming their bank charges and thought it would be worth asking the following...........

4 1/2 years ago oh and I changed bank accounts....... and shredded all the bank statements we had for that account.

Everything running smoothly at the moment but have been thinking over the last few days and reading the info on this site.... do you think we are in a position to claim the charges from this old account which was closed just over 4 1/2 years ago but we are still in the 6 year time limit.?

How long has it taken people to recieve their money?
    Does it cost to ask for old bank statements?
    Could be a non starter but worth asking....
    Any information will be helpful.

Thanks......L.

Yes you can claim. If you don't have account numbers then give as many details as possible ie., Date of Birth, previous addressess etc. If you have moved house since you closed the account then send them a copy of a utility bill or similar with your new address on it. There is a thread somewhere about claiming from closed bank accounts - you might want to find and read that first. Follow Martin's step by step guide and you should be OK. The Consumer Action Group website is also extremely good for information and advice. They also have template letters and I have taken the best from theirs and this site when putting my letters together. I frequently flit between the 2 sites. Thoroughly read the FAQ's on this site and the CAG site (you have to join but it's free and easy to do) before you start the process. There is ALWAYS friendly help and advice on both these sites - we're all in the same boat remember! The very best of luck - I've found it's not easy and am thinking of buying a crash helmet (damage limitation for when I'm smacking my head against the wall with the Abbey....) but I keep on going because I know I'm going to get there in the end! Just as an aside - there is a section on the CAG website regarding claiming for charges over 6 years old. You may want to claim for the charges up to 6 years old first and then put in a separate claim for those over 6 years old. That's what I'm going to do. People ARE being paid out on claims for charges over 6 years old.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You need to start by reading Martin's article and the Reclaim Help Thread which is linked in my signature and you'll get the template letters and all the information needed to start your claim.

Step-by-step Guides: Bank Charges: Reclaim Your Cash | Bank Charges Video Guide | Top New Bank Account Calculator: Charge them interest Template Letters: (right click and save) Ask for charge details |Initial letter | Second letter | Small claims note Get Updates On Important Changes: Free Weekly Money Tip
  • lizzie12_2
    Julieoolie wrote: »
    Yes you can claim. If you don't have account numbers then give as many details as possible ie., Date of Birth, previous addressess etc. If you have moved house since you closed the account then send them a copy of a utility bill or similar with your new address on it. There is a thread somewhere about claiming from closed bank accounts - you might want to find and read that first. Follow Martin's step by step guide and you should be OK. The Consumer Action Group website is also extremely good for information and advice. They also have template letters and I have taken the best from theirs and this site when putting my letters together. I frequently flit between the 2 sites. Thoroughly read the FAQ's on this site and the CAG site (you have to join but it's free and easy to do) before you start the process. There is ALWAYS friendly help and advice on both these sites - we're all in the same boat remember! The very best of luck - I've found it's not easy and am thinking of buying a crash helmet (damage limitation for when I'm smacking my head against the wall with the Abbey....) but I keep on going because I know I'm going to get there in the end! Just as an aside - there is a section on the CAG website regarding claiming for charges over 6 years old. You may want to claim for the charges up to 6 years old first and then put in a separate claim for those over 6 years old. That's what I'm going to do. People ARE being paid out on claims for charges over 6 years old.

Thanks very much for your time and giving all the info. Will make a start and sit down tomorrow and have a good read. To be honest - didnt think we stood much of a chance in claiming, but the extra will help. Have to work out how much we are talking first. What is the CAG website?
    Good luck with your task........
  • lizzie12_2
    You need to start by reading Martin's article and the Reclaim Help Thread which is linked in my signature and you'll get the template letters and all the information needed to start your claim.

Step-by-step Guides: Bank Charges: Reclaim Your Cash | Bank Charges Video Guide | Top New Bank Account Calculator: Charge them interest Template Letters: (right click and save) Ask for charge details |Initial letter | Second letter | Small claims note Get Updates On Important Changes: Free Weekly Money Tip

Thanks for you time in sending all the info. Will get started tomorrow.
  • lizzie12_2
    How much do the banks charge roughly for requesting past statements?
  • Julieoolie
    Julieoolie Posts: 42 Forumite
    lizzie12 wrote: »
    How much do the banks charge roughly for requesting past statements?

They aren't allowed to charge more than a tenner for a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act. CAG website - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk
  • kazzy26
    kazzy26 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I used to have an account with Barclays Bank which I closed about 2 years ago because of the charges they added to my account. Does anyone know if I can still make a claim for the charges even though this bank account is now closed?

Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport