Credit card for 17 year old

13»

Comments

• A pre paid card is not a credit card.
  • Capital One are the only card company that allow under 18s as an additional cardholder (they never ask for the DOB). Amex is changing its policy early next year to allow 13+ on additional cards.

AmEx goes in cycles with these things, was a little while ago now but had an additional card on my parents account when I was 16-17

Their security is also fairly lax on the basis I wanted an additional card for an overseas relative, was told to give my address for them but that I'd need to provide a copy of their passport etc as obviously they'd fail the CRA ID check but to wait for the letter asking for it. A week later or so a letter arrived but it didnt ask for the ID as they'd sent the card
  • It used to be the case that credit could be offered to under 18s, just the debts were not normally enforceable so this together with ethical issues meant that being 18 was a prerequisite. Having said that, I had a Barclaycard when I was 17. I didn't lie about my age or anything - it goes back to the days when it doubled as a cheque card and they issued me with a Barclaycard to replace a cheque card. The limit was £100. (Indeed cheque cards were not normally available to under 18s, though I also had one with Girobank when I was 17.)

I would imagine* now that regulation means that the T+Cs always state that you must be 18 or over and that no CC would knowingly issue or promote a card to an under 18.

(* on a slow connection, so not practical for me to check. Perhaps some kind soul out there has something specific.)

Same for me - I had a Barclaycard with a £2 limit when I was 17. I really only had it as it was also the cheque guarantee card for my Barclays account. I was quite impressed when they wrote to me on my 18th birthday and put my limit up to £200. This was 30 years ago though !
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Same for me - I had a Barclaycard with a £2 limit when I was 17. I really only had it as it was also the cheque guarantee card for my Barclays account. I was quite impressed when they wrote to me on my 18th birthday and put my limit up to £200. This was 30 years ago though !

I also had 1 at 17 (approx 1980). My Dad had encouraged me to apply for 1 then (with him as guarantor) because he wanted me to learn how to use it responsibly. I was initially turned down but then, a few weeks later and still aged 17, I received an invitation to apply for one! I applied and got a Barclaycard. Don't remember what the credit limit was but I never went anywhere near it. I was still on pocket money at the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure