The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PPI companies on Rip-Off Britain - BBC1 now

Might be worth a watch

Comments

• It's very interesting - if you watch on iplayer, stick with it because the programme returns to PPI further into the show.
  • One small point is that Gloria Hunniford told us that PPI stands for Personal Protection Insurance & not as i thought Payment Protection Insurance. So thanks for that, Gloria.
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,927
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sandblast wrote: »
    One small point is that Gloria Hunniford told us that PPI stands for Personal Protection Insurance & not as i thought Payment Protection Insurance. So thanks for that, Gloria.

I didn't get ANY personal protection with mine, was I mis-sold? :cool:
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thats what you get when you employ pensioners to show you are not ageist :D:D
  • All I can say on the matter, is do not use a third party for your PPI. The work they do is nothing more than what you would do if you filled out the questionnaire from the FOS website. They do 10 minutes worth of work and can claim up to 30% for what you get.
    PPI is Payment Protection Insurance.
    Any company claiming to have it sorted for you in 3 weeks are telling porkies. The banks have 8 weeks with in which to deal with your complaint about PPI from the date they receive it. So there is no telling how long it could take, it's based on how many complaints the bank has to deal with.
    My wife works for one of these third party companies and they are ripping you off.
    If you are unsure of how many policies you have had with PPI just state that on your form from the FOS website and the banks will look into all your cases.
    The money will get sent to you. Most banks refuse (and within their rights) to send the money to a 3rd party.

I can assure you, the form is not that difficult to fill out and only takes 10 mins.
  • ShazzaMcG wrote: »
    My wife works for one of these third party companies and they are ripping you off.

From that I guess the implication is you are both living off the proceeds of a rip off. Just a thought!!!!;)
  • The_Swerve wrote: »
    From that I guess the implication is you are both living off the proceeds of a rip off. Just a thought!!!!;)
    That's rather a moral issue than a legal one, of course.
  • That's rather a moral issue than a legal one, of course.

of course!!!
  • The_Swerve wrote: »

Haha thankfully not :D. My wife is not involved in that part of the business.

I thought I would just highlight it as I don't think it's fair people lose 12-30% of the money because a company claims theirs so much work to be done to claim it back.
  • The_Swerve
    The_Swerve Posts: 78
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 5 September 2012 at 9:13AM
    ShazzaMcG wrote: »
    Haha thankfully not :D. My wife is not involved in that part of the business.

I thought I would just highlight it as I don't think it's fair people lose 12-30% of the money because a company claims theirs so much work to be done to claim it back.

Yeah it doesnt feel right for these companies to charge so much for what we know to be a pretty straightforward process (in most cases).

But, I think if these companies tell people that they can do it for the price of a few stamps themselves and the person still chooses to go with the fee charging company, I guess there is not much more that can be done. (Believe it or not, one such company did actually tell me that there was nothing stopping me doing it for free myself, I took their advice :) ) I guess the problem companies make out that using them is better etc etc.

People take taxis to cut out a ten minute walk...are taxis wrong to charge? Could the taxi driver advise the potential passenger that it is only a 10 min walk and would be of benefit to everyone but the taxi driver if they did walk?
    (Is that a fair analogy? :) )

If people are willing to pay then I guess if a CMC isnt exploiting the vulnerable, then fair play to them. They are keeping thousands of people in employment and people are getting their PPI back. Its just that personally, I wouldnt want to have paid anyone 2 grand to send out the two letters that was needed to get my PPI back and I would always advise people to at least have a go themselves using the information on this website and elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure