PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• Binning soup (or anything else either) come to think of it is one of those "singles" things. Personally - I keep some of those largest size yogurt containers (ie those Yeo Valley straight-sided ones seem to be strong enough) and put extra soup portions in them and then into the freezer. This is the "singles need largest size freezers possible" argument - whereas couples/families not so much.

Mind you - having gathered the Governments latest guidelines are its best to keep various fruits in the fridge = ditto to largest fridge we can manage to get in as well (space allowing:cool:). Even if one does find a tradesperson making a remark about what an enormous fridge that is for one person - as I've had:rotfl:
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bathroom cleaned -check
    Lounge tidied - check
    Time for a cuppa - too right:D

I've had a few comments from friends re not needing so much cupboard/fridge/freezer space now I'm an empty nester..... I just smile now and move swiftly on as I know there is no malice they just don't get the realities of CFO :cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yesterday was another day of lets say, wind, thats enough info :). Something yet again upset my digestive system and I have reluctantly put it down to milk or rather, maybe, the protein in milk, I had porridge made with normal milk yesterday morning, when normally a pint lasts a whole week because I have previously been having plant based milks on cereals, then of course there are all the yogurts. I had to wash this weeks yogurts away because I need a new start, now that I have stopped the rumblings.

I have stocked up with A2 milk, it is milk without the A1 proteins, which are much more likely to cause problems than lactose. I have frozen enough for over christmas and for hm yogurts and actually decanted so that I have separate pints rather than litres. Its definitely an experiment and I got the milk in morrisons, which I re-discovered today. Haven`t been to morrisons for quite a few years and to my delight, it is imo better than sainsburys in that the top shelf is lower plus it is nicer to shop in

I started the day with two half slices of toast lightly spread with peanut butter. Lunch was a small cold pork pie with salad. Last meal will have to be something with the part roasted parsnips that I took out yesterday, probably fish from the freezer and peas. I made a small meat order for next week, nothing to be cooked in multiples, so am going to have to do a big freezer compression exercise this weekend. I also ordered more meat and nice bits for christmas/new year just for me, they will arrive a few days before christmas. I am still going to do hands and knees cleaning that week but probably only on 4 days
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2017 at 2:58PM
    Hate to say it Kittie - but there's an article in today's papers re just how many bits of plastic we are being (inadvertently) forced to consume alongside any fish we are eating these days.

That was the reason I gave up eating it again personally - as I don't see why I should be forced to eat fish that isn't "just fish" iyswim.

EDIT; Found it:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3759269/Plastic-fish-caught-Britain-toxic-microbeads-used-shower-gels-toothpastes

The odds are just way too high I'd be consuming plastic too inadvertently and it's an absolute certainty I'd be having a "dose of anger" going down my throat, along with my fish, that other people could expose me to that. Anger whilst eating a meal isnt a good sauce to season one's food with imo....
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Back from garden centre centre, with farm shop, furniture store, book shop, Father Christmas & goodness knows what else attached. Gone are the days of just going for some compost

But it was pleasant, I had a yummy scone + coffee for mid morning snack

Then into the farm shop, except it is more than that, I suspect even Money could like some of it, loads of organic, local, free froms etc. There were samples out, I liked it all, including local, culled on the estate, venison. That could just be part of my CFO Granddad no mates Christmas meal instead of nut roast :D

Dinner will now be a fresh, real, faggot, never had that before, trying something new. The butcher told me how to cook it, I'll have it with mash, nuked peas & gravy. Here's hoping the faggot is to my taste or the bin will have another customer
    Mind you - having gathered the Governments latest guidelines are its best to keep various fruits in the fridge = ditto to largest fridge we can manage to get in as well (space allowing:cool:). Even if one does find a tradesperson making a remark about what an enormous fridge that is for one person - as I've had:rotfl:

Should just say it handy for keeping the body parts in:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    money, I don`t believe that fish actually digest plastic to turn it into flesh, so I feel that eating fish flesh is perfectly safe from plastic contamination. Pesticides and weedkillers are another matter entirely, those that are in the oceans and spread over non-organic vegetables and not counting all the chemicals and medications going into the sewerage system, which is also spread on arable farms. That is what limits my fish eating to max of twice a week. No fish can be organic, not like grass fed organic meat for example but it aint half expensive, that meat and good fish

Farway I like a trip to a big garden centre now and then, it is a good half day out and I always stop in the cafe
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Change of dinner menu, I have just cross checked faggot cooking, seems as many ways as there are to skin cats

I'll stick to what the butcher told me, he makes them after all said & done

Change is most seem to prefer mushy peas with them perhaps that is part of their chip shop heritage?

Mushy peas it is then, tin opener is GO
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I am the new owner of a selection of L&L boxes. That didn't really work out quite as planned.

I had a size in mind, but, standing in the shop it just seemed "a tad small" still. So I bought one anyway - and then another "random cheap brand" bucket box (why? ... god knows, but I appear to have taken it to the till and bought it).... I think I was thinking "This ... and if it doesn't fit in that then BOTH will fit in this bucket thing"

Next shop .... had some larger L&L and they were quite a price! But I stood there and looked at them and thought "Go on, be reckless; you're here, they're here, if you walk away now you might just regret it" so bought two of the larger size anyway!

At home I tried flour in the smaller one, once opened/used the flour bag would fit .... but, as I only bought one of that size I decided to plonk my bags of flour into the larger boxes anyway - I can always change my mind in the future and/or buy one more of the 1.8l when next passing that shop ... if they have stock at that random future point.

I'd made sandwiches before I went out, so I immediately had food to eat when I got home .... but the long drive home forced my eyes to be drawn to every chinese takeaway between there and here.... so now I REALLY fancy a good chinese. Trouble is, my local "good one" doesn't do good chow mein or egg fried rice, it's just the main dish that's "good". So not sure what to do really ....

And I fancy something sweet.... sweeties .... chocolate .... something.

So I suspect I'll have to go out shortly.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ooh farway, faggots. They were such a tasty lifesaver when the children were young, we were skint and I was working. Yummy, faggots, normal peas, mashed potatoes and gravy. A feast fit for a king. A fantastic meal for a dreary night

I`m looking forward to my christmas goodies tbh, had to make sure they were delivered in 20 days or I might be tempted too early. Booja booja amongst them and a fillet steak to eat between christmas and new year. I also ordered a small turkey crown and cranberries to make portions of sauce and a piece of ham. Well I will do the ham in january and will vac pack and freeze the cooked turkey slices and ham. I ordered stuffing too, real pork stuffing and I will make and freeze individual balls. I bought some sainsbury turkey slices the other day and they were floppy tasteless, skinny bits of something that was called turkey, I`ll never buy them again, hence the real turkey

I think I am getting into the mood so will make shortbread biscuits in two weeks. I have a lovely mold and I`ll use butter from guernsey cows so it won`t spoil my A2 experiment. Just got to keep a list going now for the shops, lemonade to go with my port, a couple of lemons for my GnT and some turkey gravy granules so far and oh yes, some crisps

I already have the dvds to watch, Ashes to ashes. There is alone and there is lonely and I am certainly planning for alone, never lonely

plonked flour is good PN, stops pesky weavils getting in. I am always plonking my flours
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2017 at 6:04PM
    Farway wrote: »

Should just say it handy for keeping the body parts in:D

:rotfl::rotfl:Burst out laughing as I thought "Bet Farway is thinking of someone he knows I've recently met ITRW.....:cool:"

Barely even thought of Christmas - except to start making arrangements re attending a Christmas thing that one of the groups I attend has each year (which clashes with another group's one - so I cant manage that). Special lunch out being arranged between "The Three" (ie 3 of us that all moved over here at about the same time from Southern England). That's a bit of a challenge - with the other two having health problems with certain foods and myself that doesnt have any of that (but wants vegetarian and at least somewhat healthy).

Must start writing those Christmas cards...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure