Cohabiting

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bugslet wrote: »
    Actually he owes whatever the OP decides. If he doesn't like that, then she can either reduce the charge or face losing the income, and he can decided if whatever rate it is, is better than what he can get elsewhere and if not leave.:D

Kind of depends where in the country they live as well.

By that logic, if she asked for £10k and he gave it to her, you don't think that would amount to a beneficial interest?

The whole point here is to protect the OP and her investment. But charging more than half of the costs, she could be open to a legal struggle down the line.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The whole point here is to protect the OP and her investment.
    Yes, and it sounds like he is starting to realise this. I expect he'll be the one walking out shortly. Sometimes it's better to pay more than to be taken for a fool! 4 years is a long time to still being considered nothing more than a lodger at the end of it.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    By that logic, if she asked for £10k and he gave it to her, you don't think that would amount to a beneficial interest?

The whole point here is to protect the OP and her investment. But charging more than half of the costs, she could be open to a legal struggle down the line.

Maybe, that would be interesting in court, but I think the reality is wildly different, he's going to take the moving on option.

Going back to reality, at the moment I don't think she has much to worry about in terms of protecting her investment.

Going by my example, with a far greater time period than the OPs, he might and only might, have got some money.
  • Comms69
    bugslet wrote: »
    Maybe, that would be interesting in court, but I think the reality is wildly different, he's going to take the moving on option. - I don't see why his behaviour is so offensive though

Going back to reality, at the moment I don't think she has much to worry about in terms of protecting her investment. - No, at the minute it seems to be perfectly sound

Going by my example, with a far greater time period than the OPs, he might and only might, have got some money.

Just to be clear, that was just the opinion of the solicitor.... You never actually did the whole court thing

Sometimes it's not about the money won, but the money lost by the other side.

If I issued court papers and you didn't have a clue, you may go to a solicitor, who would charge you £200 to file a defence.

I simply withdraw my claim (total cost so far is around £35) and you are left £200 down. You cannot reclaim that from me.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,966 Forumite
    £315 - yep fine with me
    £200 - bit high, but sure
    £45 - storage - no, they're living as one household.

So he owes £7.50

The OP said he has his own room within the house as he 'likes his own space' (doesn't sound like 'one household') plus sole use of the shed.

We recently rented a cubic meter sized cupboard at a storage unit. That was £8+VAT per week.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Comms69
    Slinky wrote: »
    The OP said he has his own room within the house as he 'likes his own space' (doesn't sound like 'one household') plus sole use of the shed. - What like a home office or a man cave? Never heard of either of those?

We recently rented a cubic meter sized cupboard at a storage unit. That was £8+VAT per week.

Presumably you aren't sleeping with the owner though....
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you earn the same and are sharing the same house and bills it makes sense to me to split it equally. The way I see it is its probably cheaper than him renting elsewhere and if the house is mortgaged, you are sort of renting it off the bank. Its not as if you are personally pocketing his rent. He sounds ungrateful.
  • Comms69
    If you earn the same and are sharing the same house and bills it makes sense to me to split it equally. The way I see it is its probably cheaper than him renting elsewhere and if the house is mortgaged, you are sort of renting it off the bank. - no you aren't... Its not as if you are personally pocketing his rent. He sounds ungrateful.
    And yes that is exactly it, she is pocketing his money to pay her debts.

Literally putting money into the property in the form of equity.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't understand this, that's not fair, attitude.

Maybe I'm thinking about it from the point of view that I have my own house that I have worked hard for and am struggling to pay for (why did I buy it? Cos I bought it with an ex 11 years ago and he left me with small children, so situations change).

If I had someone move in with me and they expected to live with me for free when I can barely keep the house over my head, I think I would resent them.

At the same time, I wouldn't want them to have a claim on my house as I've had it for so long and I know that relationships don't always last the course.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Comms69
    Maybe I'm thinking about it from the point of view that I have my own house that I have worked hard for and am struggling to pay for (why did I buy it? Cos I bought it with an ex 11 years ago and he left me with small children, so situations change). - So you'd like someone to pay for it for you?

If I had someone move in with me and they expected to live with me for free when I can barely keep the house over my head, I think I would resent them. - ok, but their still paying their way, it's costing you no extra to have them there. What you actually want is for them to pay off your mortgage, but you to benefit from it.

At the same time, I wouldn't want them to have a claim on my house as I've had it for so long and I know that relationships don't always last the course.
    Exactly. You want someone to just pay off your house for you.

You see nothing wrong with that? profiting from someone you supposedly care about
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure