Halifax Bank No Longer Notifying Me Of Charges. Advice?

Options
I need some advice. I'm with Halifax and have a planned overdraft. I'm fully paperless and each month would receive an email telling me I had a message online from Halifax regarding my bank charges. It'd look like a letter and it would state how many days I'd been on the overdraft, how much they were charging and when it would be deducted from my account. This has stopped, since April they haven't sent me any physical letters or paperless on my online banking about anything but still continue to charge me. The last one I received was because I'd gone into an unplanned overdraft, it said I may be charged and they would notify me if this was the case. They never did notify me and a charge came out for it. After that, nothing. I then find out online that as of the 2nd of November all fee's etc are changing but that people would be notified two months in advance and people who would be negatively affected would be helped to transition over. They've not contacted me about it at all, I happened to find out about it by accident, not by mail or paperless online from my bank. Is this allowed? Basically all correspondence from my bank stopped in any shape or form.

Comments

• Lingua
    Lingua Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Inform them and ask to switch to paper statements again? It probably won't cost so will be worth it in the long run

Lingua
    Long-Term Goal: £23'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
  • faylean
    faylean Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    They charge for paper statements and because of personal circumstance it is better for me to receive them online. Is it possible I could claim these charges back as I wasn't notified?
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    faylean wrote: »
    I'm fully paperless and each month would receive an email telling me I had a message online from Halifax regarding my bank charges.etc

Have you logged into your account recently without having received a prior notification? It might well be everything with your account is as it should be and is in its proper place, only the notification as such has gone astray. If that is the case, ask your bank to investigate why you are not notified anymore.

Forthcoming charges are normaly advised on the statement for the previous month.
  • faylean
    Options
    Hi, yes I log in a few times a week. I clicked on it mulitple times anyway just to check and reread all the previous messages to check if any mentioned this would happen. You can't delete the messages online either so everyone I've received is there. I thoroughly checked my online banking to see if anything was there and there isn't

When you say forthcoming charges are normally advised on the statement what do you mean? My statement shows when I log in, what's come in and gone out but it's never said anything about charges, only shows when they've come out.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the daily charging coming in next month - you won't get any advance warning then as you will be charged daily.
  • faylean
    Options
    I don't think so because this started back in April, that was the last time I had any message off them. Plus they said everyone was being notified 2 months in advance to the changes being made in November, it's now a month away and they've still not notified me of it. I had no idea it was happening till I came across it online, my bank didn't tell me about it. Think I'll just have to contact them and see what happens, I can't afford the charges now and in November they'll be three times as much.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you spoken to the bank and checked your address is correct?

Letters regarding overdrafts were sent out in the post.

It seems strange that you've not received any letters in your digital inbox or via the post. I would speak to them ASAP.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • faylean
    Options
    I haven't spoke to the bank yet, will be tomorrow, just wanted to ask on here first and see what people said as I hate dealing with these kinds of things. Yes my address on there is fine, same address it's been for over ten years. I can check things like that online so I know that's not the problem. Must be some sort of glitch somewhere. Thank you all for getting back to me by the way :)
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Simple letter:

"You haven't advised me of the charges per your terms and conditions. Please refund all charges immediately."

Refer to FOS if they don't.

What makes you think they charge for paper statements?
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Overdraft letters are sent via the post and into your online mailbox, if you go over your agreed limit.

If you stay within your limit and are paperless then your charges letters are sent to your online box, and you are notified via email.

Have you checked

1. Your address is up to date
    2. Your email address is up to date
    3. You online mailbox even if it doesnt show any documents on front page

As mentioned above the charges are being changed from next month and you will be notified of your charges at the end of each working day, and not at the month after you have used the overdraft.

Paper statements are a option if you are finding it hard to find your paperless ones in your inbox, and there is no charge of paper statements.

You can change it back via online banking, or in a branch if that is easier and there is someone free to change it for you.

As to claiming back the charges, you are aware that there is a fee for using the overdraft, so although you dont think you have been made aware, you have said you log into internet banking a few times a week so you would have seen your balance and that you were over your overdraft limit.

The new charges are coming in next month and all customers have been advised by letter and there is prompts on the Halifax website, and on here.

If you have not had any notification of the changes then I would take the assumption your address is not up to date, as the notification was sent at the end of August.

Have you also seen the PDF of your statement? as on the second or third page is the notification of your forthcoming charges, if you are using the app, you need to click on statements and then download/view.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing