PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Comments

• I have a feeling it's on in MSE Towers. It's 24.8 degrees on the thermometer right now!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    I have a feeling it's on in MSE Towers. It's 24.8 degrees on the thermometer right now!

Not very MSE!
  • Had it on a couple of evenings over the weekend/early this week due to having a bit of a cold and cough. After a few hours I was sweating so it was switched off again. So not as cold as middle of winter cold where it's so cold that you can have the heating on all day and the house is still cold. :p
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Am I the only person that turns the heating on when I feel cold and turns it off when I'm warm enough? The weather in this country is so unpredictable it doesn't make sense to me to set November as a switch on date any more than, say, April for a switch off.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    maman wrote: »
    Am I the only person that turns the heating on when I feel cold and turns it off when I'm warm enough? The weather in this country is so unpredictable it doesn't make sense to me to set November as a switch on date any more than, say, April for a switch off.

I put the heating on when I need it but that's never as early as this. My heavy duvet is on the bed but it's still nowhere near cold enough for heating. The coldest my living room during the afternoons this week has been 19c even on the dull wet days, today it was over 21c as it was sunny.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I prefer to snuggle up with warm clothes and a fleece cover.

I only put the heat on when it is really cold and I do try to hang it out as long as possible.

It does annoy me when my OH sits there in a short sleeve t shirt, shorts and no socks complaining he is cold!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    1st October and incredibly, my heating is still off - although it has been unseasonably warm lately! I'm sitting here reading about energy saving measures, damp courses and ventilation and now feeling uncomfirtably chilly. For such is the power of the mind:o

Time to pop out for a bit, if only to warm up.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I decided to thoroughly flush our heating system out at the beginning of September so recommissioned the boiler early. Normally it is shut down from June until the end of October. The thermostat is set at 18 but, so far, the house hasn't dropped that low. We do tend to light a fire if the weather is miserable outside, regardless of the actual temperature.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 October 2017 at 4:59PM

The reasoning behind my switch on and switch off dates are that the heating is rarely, if ever, required between the June and October so it makes no sense for boiler to be on. The pilot light uses a surprising amount of gas and would be burning for no purpose.

If we do need heat in the off period, we light one or more fires.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I decided to thoroughly flush our heating system out at the beginning of September so recommissioned the boiler early.
    Is this a DIY job or must it be done by a CORGI-registered plumber? (Sorry to be a bit thick, but I assume flushing it through means the tank and radiators are cleared of sludge, and the boiler is unaffected apart from the obvious efficiency gain).

Its still lovely and warm, but breezy. This time of the year is excellent walking weather! :T
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback