PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I did another 'wee' shop at Mr T today and bought some woopsied sausages :o. Saying that they were from the butcher counter and are really nice, decent quality beef ones which are (as we speak or type :rolleyes:) in my slow cooker producing a hopefully yummy curry :D
    So todays spend was another £14.10 but did include a load of fruit (damn child :rotfl:) and some staples (like curry paste) which will last ages. Does however mean that I am over half my budget and nowhere near at half the month :mad: Will really need to stick to my meal plans (which I have anyway but really really need to now)

P.S - dont really mean it about my son eating fruit. He loves it and would choose a bowl of fruit over choc and sweeties and trust me I am soooo pleased he would.

P.P.S - I also like cooking from scratch. Never would have bothered me but in the last few years I have become a little tiny bit obsessed with homecooking :o

Anyways off to update the sig now.........
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Evening all,

Just wondered if anyone knows what Ald*s super six are this week? I'm off to lunch at DMums on Tuesday and thought I'd pop in there as we don't have one near us. As I only have £8.35 left til the weekend I need all the help I can get.

Had salmon for dinner tonight. I made a glaze using soy sauce, honey and ground ginger, basted the salmon and wrapped in individual pieces of foil. Baked for 35 mins. Really scrummy with noodles and sauteed peppers.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Evening all,

Just wondered if anyone knows what Ald*s super six are this week? I'm off to lunch at DMums on Tuesday and thought I'd pop in there as we don't have one near us. As I only have £8.35 left til the weekend I need all the help I can get.

Had salmon for dinner tonight. I made a glaze using soy sauce, honey and ground ginger, basted the salmon and wrapped in individual pieces of foil. Baked for 35 mins. Really scrummy with noodles and sauteed peppers.

Coxy
    xx
    They are all 49p ...
    - 3 peppers
    - vine tomatoes
    - 1.5kg new potatoes
    - 500g punnet of grapes
    - punnet of nectarines
    - bananas - 49p/kg
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • dazzle21
    dazzle21 Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Options
    Managed to give Mr T £20 yesterday.. OH is full of cold and we're trying to decorate and get ready for our move next week so i popped into to get some bits to make an easy lunch and ended up with extras.. and forgot to buy milk..but refusing to go back to Mr T as i have no self control at the moment even with ever decreasing pennies in my pocket! so shall pop to Waitrose. Back on meal plan this week so nice and straight forward for me and our budget :)
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2009 at 8:28AM
    Options
    Hi guys, once again, sorry I don't keep up with the thread even although I do the grocery challenge every month, I hope everyone is well and that anyone with problems is managing to combat them to the best of their ability.

My grocery challenge still isn't going to plan. I'm spending an average of £30 per week for 3 adults but had budgeted only £100 per month, which is proving impossible at the moment. Despite the cupboards being full, the hens all laying and the garden producing more veggies, I am still getting through a carton of milk a day and 3 or 4 loaves per week, plus the fruit, meat products and raw ingredients such as flour. Most of the wheat products have gone up in price again, as has sugar. All of this and I still can't grasp the ability to meal plan. It just seems to be beyond me. :confused:

CW - I read you'd meal planned for the entire month + extra - can I borrow you to assess my cupboards and show me how it's done? :o

Coxy - Ald! Super 6 is here :D They also do an email newsletter updating you with their weekly offers, which is very handy.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    scot saver...it makes u think these food programmes...did u see the hfw one where he ran a battery farm production shed....i havent purchased a 'cheap' chicken since....i like making my own food as well as u know what has gone into it and there is no manky stuff eg additives...thats excellent about kidlies not being ill...i actually think my sons health has improved since i gave up work to become a sahm...i have so much more time to cook and choose food....not as much money to buy it but hey u cant have everything

take care
    tessa

Hi tessa - yes I've seen all of those programmes - a bit of an eye opener. I too am a SAHM so have plenty of time to cook from scratch which I love.

Should be a NSD today, just been out in the Garden and have another 4 courgettes ready to be cut otherwise they are going to get too big - running out of ideas of what to do with them, have so far made the Courgette muffins, courgette flatbread, courgette fritters, have had them chopped in a frittata and chopped in a curry - while I'm typing this I've just had an idea - think I will make a big batch of Tomato Sauce and chop them into that and then use that in Spag Bol, lasagne or on a Pizza.;)

Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 July 2009 at 4:21PM
    Options
    scotsaver wrote: »
    ... have another 4 courgettes ready to be cut otherwise they are going to get too big - running out of ideas of what to do with them...

My favourite courgette recipe is very easy (originally from Delia) -

fry sliced courgettes in oil until golden
    slice some tomatoes

in a casserole dish put
    - layer of courgettes
    - layer of tomatoes
    - layer of sliced cheese or cheese sauce

oven cook until golden brown on top

depending on how many courgettes I have I usually do 2 or 3 layers of each ending with a cheese/cheese sauce layer; if using cheese sauce then I grate a little cheese on the top ;)

forgot to say that sometimes I add a couple of cloves of garlic when frying the courgettes
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks nykmedia and taka for the info re: super 6.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • moneytree1
    moneytree1 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi just a quick update have spent £62.21 of my budget so far this month so ok so far.
    2016 £31138 Debt free ?
    Jan Groc £200/162.56

One step forward closer to debt freedom.;)
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Another £6.30 spent by DH yesterday in the co-op on veggies for Sunday dinner and £14.70 spent by me on stain removers for DS1s clothes that have returned from uni rather pink! Toothpaste and other things also in the £14.70, I ordered more to save on postage!?
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure