PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to clean pine furniture

Doing a move about of furniture and seeing things from different angles has shown up some grubbly, greasy marks on my waxed pine furniture which I cannot seem to get rid of. Kids greasy fingerprints I think. Also there are a few crayon and ink lines courtesy of the three horrors.

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning these? I usually just use a microfibre cloth with a drop of washing up liquid or stardrops but this doesn't seem to deep clean. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• Any suggestions gratefully received.
  • barjam_2
    barjam_2 Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    your link kittie i think just takes to treating pine not how to clean pre treated pine that has been waxed,

i have waxed furniture and the way i clean is rub with a very fine sand paper a wax again, sorry it might not be answer what you are looking for busymumof3 but thats what i do:confused:
  • prudryden
    prudryden Posts: 2,075 Forumite
    barjam wrote:
    your link kittie i think just takes to treating pine not how to clean pre treated pine that has been waxed,

i have waxed furniture and the way i clean is rub with a very fine sand paper a wax again, sorry it might not be answer what you are looking for busymumof3 but thats what i do:confused:

That's the way.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • tracyk
    tracyk Posts: 224
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I cleaned a waxed pine coffee table last weekend with diluted Stardrops - couldn't believe the dirt it lifted & it never affected the waxed finish at all.
  • Thanks for the replies. I have tried very dilute stardrops but I will try a slightly stronger mixture. I did buy some beeswax yesterday so will try the sanding with fine wire wool followed by that. Thanks again.
  • prudryden
    prudryden Posts: 2,075 Forumite
    I was wrong about the sandpaper. My wife tells me she used the finest grade of wire wool, which didn't damage the grain (since its a soft wood) and then reapplied Bee's Wax - working with the grain of the wood.

The sandpaper is good for anything that has been varnished - so I was half-right.:)
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • SPINKO_2
    SPINKO_2 Posts: 317 Forumite
    Hi,
    Has anybody got any ideas how to treat or feed Pine bedroom furniture on the cheap.I have bought wax products before but they are so expensive and I wondered if there was a home made solution I could make.Also is there a cheap glass cleaner solution I could also make myself.I have mastered a kitchen,bathroom cleaner but have now become a bit stumped.
    Many Thanks.
    Sarah-Lou loves a freebie, a bargain or a wine!:beer:
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Cheap glass cleaner - vinegar and newspaper. It works, honestly!
  • SPINKO_2
    SPINKO_2 Posts: 317 Forumite
    Wow thank you for taking the time to give me that solution.I will try the olive oil and lemon juice tomorrow morning.Will let know how I get on.
    Thanks again.:T
    Sarah-Lou loves a freebie, a bargain or a wine!:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family