PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Streetwise Publications

Has anyone had any experience of Streetwise publications/Property auction news. They claim to help you find properties at auction and also investing in property. A service you have to obviously pay for.I just wondered if it was for me.

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You might find this of interest:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/columnists/article.html?in_article_id=407993&in_page_id=19&in_author_id=5

I had some dealings with them, and I won't be having any more.
  • Thank you very much Doc. I am already retired so it wasnt that which I was interested in. It was that although I do get the Mail fairly regularly I had'nt seen anything about this company. I knew somebody on here would have the answer. As hetherington says, " Why is that bloke not retired himself." ????
    Thank you again.
  • Pobby
    Pobby Posts: 5,438 Forumite
    I have suscribed to Property Auction News.There are interesting articles about buying from auctions.Each month they also review an auction showing prices that properties have gone for.As for investing in property right now,well what can I say?

Interesting to see what possible savings you could make rather than taking the usual route in buying.Just be very careful and research any properties you may consider going for.btw,often places sell at auction at well over the reserve price.

My final bit of advice is WAIT!It is unclear at the moment where property prices are going.As someone who has taken a keen interest in the subject,I think we are about just starting in a downturn in house prices.Just how far that will go is not plain yet but I would expect some substancial drops.This is already happening on new build.
  • OMG! Theres a blast from the past! I used to get oodles of Streetwise junk through the letter box, I think I once bought something off them around 15 years ago & thought "what a waste of money."

I think they did have a successful publication to do with speed limits & how to avoid getting speeding fines once - the rest in my experience was rubbish.
  • unluckycustomer
    unluckycustomer Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2011 at 9:12AM
    Beware of Streetwise! They are now resorting to the tactics of the most untrustworthy of “business opportunity” sellers. All reputable sellers offer 30 day, or 60 day, or 90 days money back guarantees. And they honour their guarantee by refunding money.

Streetwise used to be one of the few you could trust. But with the latest product they are marketing they have relied on their previous good name to trap even the most wary of customers.

They are selling a system called “The Ratchet System” which they charge £497 for and give a 90 day money back guarantee. A lot of money to pay for a system. But if you’ve developed confidence in a company you pay up because you take them at their word and feel your money is safe.

The Ratchet System is a staking plan that uses the age old methods of Arbitrage and Dutching. Something that anyone who has been betting on the horses for any length of time is familiar with. As soon as I read the manual I realised that it was something that was of no use to me because

A) I discounted this form of betting some years ago and
    B) I have had quite a few of my online betting accounts restricted because of my success in betting and so would be unable to place the bets as described.

Within half an hour of getting the parcel from Streetwise I emailed them to explain this and applied to get back my £497. The guarantee stated “no need to return the system manual”.

Those of you who have been trapped by rogue companies in the past can relate to my astonishment and shock when I was refused a refund. I spent a week trying to talk to the owner Mr Harrison but he hides behind his office staff. Another avoidance technique that disreputable companies use. If you are reputable you talk to your customers.

Their guarantee quotes the “system originator” George Elliot saying “I don’t want to keep a penny of your money if you can’t benefit from what I’ve discovered”.

Well I believed that because Streetwise have always honoured their guarantees. £497 is a lot of money and I certainly wouldn’t have paid that to a company I hadn’t heard of before. Not many people would.

But despite emailing Mr Harrison many times and politely pointing out that I was already aware of the staking plan and don’t bet using staking systems he refused to talk to me and I got a letter from their accounts department telling me that I have to use the system for 90 days before they will consider a refund.

This was not made clear in their Guarantee and if it was I would not have ordered the manual. I am not stupid and the guarantee did not make it clear that you couldn’t get your money back for 3 months.

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
  • Richie35
    Richie35 Posts: 11 Forumite
    This sounds very strange. I've used Streetwise a few times and got a refund from them once, no bother. They'vbe been around for ages. How many times have you asked for a refund from them in the past and how many times have you been turned down?
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Richie35 wrote: »
    This sounds very strange. I've used Streetwise a few times and got a refund from them once, no bother. They'vbe been around for ages. How many times have you asked for a refund from them in the past and how many times have you been turned down?

How coincidental that you happened to join this site just after a negative post about Streetwise was posted.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Richie35
    How coincidental that you happened to join this site just after a negative post about Streetwise was posted.

Not really sunshine. Arrived at this from a Google search on something else and signed up. It's not the first negative post, as far as I can see. I've got no axe to grind either way. Just adding my limited experience.

Have to say what's less surprising is that you turned up here with a totally pointless post with nothing of value to contribute. You can't rack up 8,202 posts without having far too much time on your hands and a talent for the tiresome. I can only assume you're being sponsored by Action For Bores or are going for a record. Keep smilin'.
  • Richie35
    edited 4 April 2011 at 9:13AM
    [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Hi,

I see. Who alleged they are in financial difficulties? Is that just an assumption you've made because you've received several refunds from them before, or do you have some other information to back that up? I appreciate you sharing your concern, but I just want to be sure there's something behind this rather than 'sour grapes' because you've had some sort of dispute. Not trying to pour cold water on your warning, but I receive promotions from them all the time and have done okay with some of the stuff they've sent me. If I'm going to stay clear of them, just want to be sure there's a problem.
  • It certainly isn't sour grapes. I have been on the Streetwise mailing list for some 20 years since they started. It's because their behaviour is so out of character that it is cause for concern

The person who alleged that Streetwise were having financial difficulties is a businessman in Rotherham. Where Streetwise is based.

On another thread I have read this evening that Streetwise has applied to change it's name.

For Mr Harrison (owner of Streetwise) to promote a high value product and not publish Terms and Conditions but state that there is a 90 day money back guarantee, and then when people apply for a refund they are told that they have to use the system for 90 days before being eligible for a refund, is completely out of character.

That's why it is such a concern. Thankfully I paid by credit card and they have put the transaction "in dispute" and have frozen the payment because Streetwise did not say in the guarantee that customers have to use the system for 90 days. They also failed to publish Terms and Conditions in the sales letter or product manual.

To be frank what Mr Harrison has done is crazy. There are many others who paid for the Ratchet System (which is just a staking system using Arbitration and Dutching) and have applied for a refund to get back their £497. I wouldn't have paid that much to assess the product if I hadn't built up trust that they would honour their guarantee.

So it's far from sour grapes I can assure.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure