How long to ESA decisions take, after questionaires are sent back?

Asking on behalf of a client who is in the process of filling in her ESA form.
changing form IS to this,

Their support worker says there is a high change they ill qualify for the support group. (with the avoidance of a called in interview)

min - max weeks/months range ?

If you got in the support group, how long did your decision take to get made ?

Comments

• satarical
    satarical Posts: 211 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2013 at 12:28PM
    gemmaking wrote: »

Their support worker says there is a high change they ill qualify for the support group. (with the avoidance of a called in interview)

min - max weeks/months range ?

If you got in the support group, how long did your decision take to get made ?

My first ESA claim was made in September 2009, had a medical in Jan 2010, was advised in Feb 2010 that I failed, on reconsideration I was put in the Support Group in May 2010 for the next 3 years. My first ESA payment was received in February 2010, 20 weeks after I made the claim.

Review ESA50 sent back 2 weeks ago (3 years being up) and I fully expect another face to face assessment and a complete failure. Then I will appeal and submit my evidence which hopefully should see me back in the Support Group by June 2013 when I would receive my backpay.

I would mention that I receive DLA (HRM & MRC) + the DWP have already assessed me as being 40% disabled due to mental illness alone. All of the other conditions/illnesses were not considered.

I too have a Social Worker amongst the many other professionals that look after me.

Good luck!!
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    gemmaking wrote: »
    The support group and the WRAG group will take the same amount of time.
    It can vary - it's going to be at least several weeks.
    People can get lost in the system, and it can take a considerable time.
    If they've not got a decision in 3 months, contact ESA and check.
    She will continue to be paid IS at the current rate until the ESA decision is made.
    If the ESA decision results in her getting less money, she will get the old IS amount, but this will not increase with time.
    Eventually, ESA payments will catch up with this amount, and the transitional protection stops.
  • kazzah60
    kazzah60 Posts: 752 Forumite
    I have just been through this process
    I had to return my form by NOvember 30th
    24th December I had a phone call asking me to go for a medical on 11th January - which I attended
    24th January received notification of being placed in Support group

so in all, from 1st receipt of form until decision notified 12 weeks

hth
  • kazzah60 wrote: »
    I have just been through this process
    I had to return my form by NOvember 30th
    24th December I had a phone call asking me to go for a medical on 11th January - which I attended
    24th January received notification of being placed in Support group

so in all, from 1st receipt of form until decision notified 12 weeks

hth

Could I ask, did you send any evidence in with the ESA50/take any with you to the assessment and/or did you indicate on the ESA50 either which medical professional to contact or did you give the name and address of your GP?

It might have a bearing as to why your case was quickly disposed of.

This time round I have given them absolutely no evidence whatsoever(because I believe that it is never read or used by ATOS or the DWP), they don't have the name or address of any of my consultants or even my GP (simply because they never bother to contact them when you do give it).

By the way I was placed in the Support Group 3 years ago - expect now to fail on the same conditions/illnesses + another two new ones in the past 2 years that they don't know about and a load of more complications that they don't know about either (but hey they don't bother reading the blurb I could send them so why bother).
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    satarical wrote: »
    (but hey they don't bother reading the blurb I could send them so why bother).
    That's like suggesting that a policeman issued with a bulletproof vest who had never been shot at deciding not to bother wearing it. Your funeral.....
  • Pippin12
    Pippin12 Posts: 525
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    satarical wrote: »
    Could I ask, did you send any evidence in with the ESA50/take any with you to the assessment and/or did you indicate on the ESA50 either which medical professional to contact or did you give the name and address of your GP?

It might have a bearing as to why your case was quickly disposed of.

This time round I have given them absolutely no evidence whatsoever(because I believe that it is never read or used by ATOS or the DWP), they don't have the name or address of any of my consultants or even my GP (simply because they never bother to contact them when you do give it).

By the way I was placed in the Support Group 3 years ago - expect now to fail on the same conditions/illnesses + another two new ones in the past 2 years that they don't know about and a load of more complications that they don't know about either (but hey they don't bother reading the blurb I could send them so why bother).

In my view this is a big mistake. I sent in six letters with my ESA50 - one each from my consultant, CPN, Occupational therapist, GP and two friends and Atos dealt with my case with out the need for a face to face assessment. I passed and was put into the support group. In the ESA85A Atos state that they used my letters as evidence in coming to their decision.
  • I helped a friend through this. His form was handed in at the start of December, he got notification of being placed in the income-related group approx 6 weeks later (no medical).
    ''He who takes no offence at anyone either on account of their faults, or on account of his own suspicious thoughts, has knowledge of God and of things devine.''
  • I too sent in plenty of evidence. Claim dealt with within about 8 weeks after I'd returned the ESA50. Support Group, no medical.
  • my daughters 12 month renewal went in on 15th november, still not heard anything yet. guess it depends what area you are in.

gracex
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    • Claim made in advance to start in October 2011.
    • ESA50 form received soon after, returned with copies of letters from GP and consultant.
    • Face-to-face assessment April 2012.
    • WRAG decision received a couple of weeks later.
    • Appealed for Support Group, included statements from husband and friends, May 202
    • Reconsideration October 2012, placed in Support Group.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure