Lost 20 years NCB as not been driving for 5 years?

Options
Hi all,

I don't drive many miles a year but someone is giving me a car that's worth only around 200 pounds - it's got 50 K on the clock in good nick but has a dent in the rear hence friend giving it to me as he wants to get rid of it asap as his insurance is due. and he has another car.

Been through all the comparison sites and the average cos to insure this car is £1500!!

I have lost all my no claims bonuses because I haven't driven in five years but I think this is a rip off. Never made an insurance claim in my life. Is there any way around this? Thanks.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    No way to get that NCD back (but think how much you saved not buying any policies for the last 5 years.

See if a local broker (not Swinton) can get you an introductory discount
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Is that for third party only?
  • Kris35
    Kris35 Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Q. Yes, third party only.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Try comprehensive quotes - usually cheaper than third party cover
  • Kris35
    Options
    Just seen there are agencies that cater for this sort of thing so will try them.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Wow I'm gobsmacked! Maybe try a broker ?
  • Kris35
    Options
    I'm tired of the way these companies take the pee like this. If it's not the energy companies or the banks, it's insurers - all out to make their company rich and stuff the rest of us.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Adding another named driver (e.g. a partner or family member) may help if applicable.

It might seem ridiculous that insurance is significantly more than the value of the car but of course if you ran into a third party then you'd do just as much damage with a £200 car as one valued at £20000....
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    It might seem ridiculous that insurance is significantly more than the value of the car but of course if you ran into a third party then you'd do just as much damage with a £200 car as one valued at £20000....
    Perhaps more, as a 20 year old banger won't have modern safety features, and is more likely to be in poor mechanical condition than a new car. So it's not unusual for very low value cars to be more expensive to insure than a new car.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As you've managed for the last 5 years without a car, do you really need one now? If not then simply decline to accept it and let your friend work out what to do with it. I can't see why you should be hit with a huge bill for taking on a pile of junk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure