PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• Future_Rich_Girl
    Options
    Hello :D,
    My name is Shani, i'm 36 & i'm a self employd market trader, i sell costume jewellery & hair accessories (but cant do a thing with my hair. lol :eek: )

I live in a rented flat with my rabbit (Smudge) & hamster (Tumbles)
    Even though i go out to earn money, it seldom covers my costs, but i'd be worse off on the dole. So i'm stuck between a rock & a hard place.
    Lots of people are in the same boat or worse, the old addage 'look after the pennies & the pounds will look after themselves' is more true than it has been in a long time. Sometimes all we can do is cross our fingers & hope for a better tomorrow.
    It's better to be late in this world than early in the next! :A
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello new folks:hello:
    You will find it friendly in here, with lots of people giving lovely advice:coffee:.
    Nice to *meet* you
    w
  • HomeSpun
    HomeSpun Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    :hello: everyone!

I've lurked for a while, posted a couple of times in the last few days and thought I had better introduce myself.

I'm 34, married to a plumber (12 years this year :eek:) and we have 3 children, 2 girls aged 10 and 9 and a boy aged 6. We also have a 2 year old Westie and an 18 year old cat (the cat came as a lodger when my Grandmother went into hospital over a year ago - my GM still in hospital, so the cat still here!). I live in rural Lincolnshire having moved here from near Bristol a couple of years ago, although originally I'm from near Winchester. I'm also a student with the OU and a SAHM.

So that's me and mine in a paragraph! Looking forward to meeting more of you :)

HS x
    "I married beneath me, all women do." - Nancy Astor 1879-1964

Studying with the OU - MU120 (CMA 41 & 42, TMA01(i) & (ii) done :D) and also M150 (02/09), DB123 (05/09), MST121 (09/09) and T175 (10/09)
  • freebiequennie
    Options
    Hello

i am 28yrs old married (34yr old) for 2 yrs been together 10yrs. We have 2 rabbits.

I work as a childrens nurse and love my job. I also do ad-hoc work as a night nanny (caring for babies whilst parents sleep) and proxy parent (24hr care whilst parents go away without children).

I love saving money and my colleagues at work always laugh about me knowing where the bargains are and whats on offer where and when - think this must come from my days as a supermarket supervisor where i changed all the offers over and prices so knew the price of most things.
  • skintbuthappy81
    Options
    Hi, I am currently a newbie but have been lurking for quite a while now.

I am a 27 year old female and living with my OH and our 9 year old rabbit DJ (yes thats right 9!!) we have been together for 5 years now and engaged.

I am a Police Officer hence my random times of posting, my OH is a computer programmer although he is looking to go into the fire service.

My interests are shopping, my car and erm shopping. I love a good bargain so this site is perfect for me, plus I also have 11k debt that needs paying off but shhhh keep it quiet....
    Married 1st October 2015:heartpuls

1st Baby due June 2016 :happylove
  • princess_siobhan
    Options
    hello,

Just wanted to post to say hello
    long term reader of MSE first time poster!
    I am a 20 and a full-time student, next year I intend to to start training as a solicitor (v.expensive!!!)
    I live in a rented flat with my lovely partner who is starting his naval officer training soon....
    we both have A LOT of student debt and because we are living on a tight budget i think old style saving is a brilliant idea....i am cautious about my spending, especially on food which i hope is making me a better cook!
    I also have a sealed jar for change and a little savings account which i hope will help me with a deposit on a new flat when we move to leeds in june.

Basically I have joined this forum for help, support and tips. I really love the idea of using the money saving initiative for weight loss (big eating christmas
    with the parents!!!).

So thats me. its lovely to meet you all, and i hope i can give as much help as you seem to give each other....

any hints for extra penny pinching are much appreciated

siobhan
  • FrenchMaid_2
    Options
    Well done you! So young and already so sensible!
    I can only recommend doing little steps at the time, it's so much easier to adjust the belt notch by notch, rather then restricting everything in one go.
    Someone told me once that it takes 30 days of doing something everyday for it to become a habit. How about starting to keep a spending diary for 30 days? You then see exactly where your money goes and then take it from there...?
  • princess_siobhan
    Options
    Good plan...new year, new diary..or a notebook as a cheaper alt. (i dont mind paying less and writing my own dates!!!!) i think it may help with my big weight loss plans too-use diary for all kinds of things...food diary etc. i am really happy someone responded. i think the thought of my partner moving away for his navy training made me feel a bit lonley : (
    I think i was born tight so love cheap hearty recipies and tips to make food last...nice to meet you xxx
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi siobhan,

Welcome to Old Style :hello:

You sound like you've made a great start on clearing your debts. If you have a read of this thread it should help you find your way around:

Welcome to Old Style - (BRAND NEW "Read me first")

I'll add your post into the Getting to know you thread where everyone introduces themselves. I hope you learn lots from the old style board and look forward to your tips too.

Pink
  • moneypooh
    moneypooh Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi welcome:j

you will find so much help on this site about absolutely anything :D
    the threads on DFW will help - try looking at the challenges like £10 a day, you may not save £10 but you can pick up some great tips for free money. Also there are things like free daily scratchcards that pay a minimum of 10p a day and daily 'clicks' to get free money.

I'm sure if you've been a long time reader you'll be aware of all of these but join in and post away, you'll always get a warm welcome.

good luck with your new start and happy money saving, save £s and loose lbs :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure