Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tawny_Owl wrote: »
    Probably cheaper as well. But since UB/RBS are owned by the taxpayer, I don't suppose they've got any motivation to reduce operating costs. How cynical I am !!:p
    Sounds more like cliched lazy tabloid-style muddled thinking than cynicism to me - while it's undeniably true that a large stake in RBS is held by UK Financial Investments, a semi-autonomous company set up by the government to manage its stake in banks, there is nothing to suggest that the bank is run as anything other than a commercial operation* rather than a genuinely nationalised entity.

If they weren't interested in reducing costs, why do you think they're outsourcing jobs to India (and consequently attracting plenty of understandable criticism for doing so) when a nationalised industry would be somewhat unlikely to do this?

* Apart from continuing losses of course, but that's a different issue....
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    From the Guardian on Monday 4th September including Ulster Bank comment;

"It seems Ulster Bank was inundated by savers after offering one of the best savings rates around – so inundated it could not cope with demand. Happily, someone at head office quickly got on the case and you have now been sent your reader. The bank has apologised and paid you £200 compensation.

Ulster says that it has now cleared the backlog and all services should be back to normal."

Backlog cleared? I think not, but £200 compensation sounds good.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/sep/04/ulster-bank-card-reader-online-account
  • Gingerdiana
    Options
    Yes, I am going to close the account. Said my sort code was incorrect, said my Member no was incorrect - what's the point?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apparently any hard credit searches will now be wiped: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73130498&postcount=1
  • RG2015
    Options
    I have just received an email from Ulster Bank that includes the following statement.

"Some eSavings customers have been telling us they received a 'wrong PIN' message when they tried to use their Anytime Banking card online.
    We're very sorry about this, and will be issuing you with a new card and PIN. These should arrive separately (for security reasons), over the coming week."

Five weeks after ordering the card reader I still have not received the first card. What are the chances I will receive two cards next week?
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Cripes. Was looking at this account but won't bother as it seems like far too much hassle for an extra fraction of a percent.
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72909247&postcount=185

I hardly dare mention the format, frequency and distance between holes of the paper statements when you people with issues receive them - it'll need an extended Watchdog episode this...

An email today suggests those of us who've opted for paperless might not be receiving these from now on....hopefully.
  • SouthLondonUser
    Options
    A quick summary of my experience.
    On July 31st I applied for a CharterCourt ISA and for an Ulster saving account. My ChaterCourt account was up and running in 2 days. It is now Sept 18th and I still do not have access to the ***** Ulster account!

I called to chase at the end of August and they told me they had a backlog. I called again a few days ago; they said they had texted me an activation code. Nope, didn't receive it. They said they'd send me a new one in the post. It arrived by text. I try to use it to register online. I get a warning that it is quicker to register if I have a debit card - but over the phone they told me I need to register in order to order a debit card! The website asks for my sort code and acct #. The problem is, they told me the sort code via email, but not the account number - only the last 4 digits. So tomorrow I have to call, listen to their beautiful jingle for the nth time, and hope to sort this out.
    At this point I am so fed up that I will probably open a Shawbrook account and put my
    savings there. I am afraid I might still need to go through the painful registration procedure with Ulster Bank because in order to close my account, though. Honestly, who the hell designed these processes???
  • RG2015
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    I have just received an email from Ulster Bank that includes the following statement.

"Some eSavings customers have been telling us they received a 'wrong PIN' message when they tried to use their Anytime Banking card online.
    We're very sorry about this, and will be issuing you with a new card and PIN. These should arrive separately (for security reasons), over the coming week."

Five weeks after ordering the card reader I still have not received the first card. What are the chances I will receive two cards next week?
    Yes, I have received two cards in the post this morning (Sat 23rd Sept). The accompanying letters are dated 21st Aug and 14th Sept.

Having received my PIN for the second card two days ago I am now fully up and running 47 days after opening the account.
    :j:beer::rotfl:
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    Tempted by the high (er) interest rate I opened this account.

Now I've found this thread! Opening online went OK but laborious inputting passport details, don't know if I was hard credit scored it didn't say I would be, marketing options are a trick which I don't like, first box of three is to opt out second and third are to opt in banks should be above this old fashioned do you want to not not receive marketing by phone text or elephant on Tuesdays but always on Fridays unless its raining ;)

Sent a token amount to my new account immediately refused. Tried to register for online banking, like opening the account again! Failed.

Clarified with helpful lady in Ireland wait until working week starts before registering, card reader can only be requested after registering, takes about 3 weeks.

Having got used to slick Internet banks and systems this is a bit of a sheep dog trial of an account to get going on, hope I get there in the end.........and relax........:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback