Missed flight due to accident on motorway

Hi,
I'm hoping someone could offer some advice. We missed our flight from Bologna - Italy on Sunday 10th Sep, there was an accident on the motorway so a journey on the E35 should've taken 1hr 20min but instead took 4 hrs.
The travel insurance company have said unless I can prove that there was an accident I cannot claim for the additional expenses which are over £1000 due to having to stay overnight plus depart from another city the following evening.
Does anyone know if there is a website that would hold historical motorway delay data?
Desperate to try and recover some of the cost.
Many thanks

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Do you know the local paper for that stretch of motorway? Usually they report on such things
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hols_Jo wrote: »
    The travel insurance company have said unless I can prove that there was an accident I cannot claim for the additional expenses
    Which insurer?

One I just looked at has this exclusion wording:-

any claim where you missed your departure because of heavy traffic or road closures that were not severe enough to be reported on a recognised motor association website, on news bulletins or in the press

That's probably the type of thing you are looking for - local press would be a good start.
  • Hi thanks for replying,
    it's Natwest Travel Insurance. They have said they will not proceed until I prove the delay.

We have tried local newspapers via search engines but not showing anything special. I have also emailed the Italian highway agency for that part of the motorway but no response.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hols_Jo wrote: »
    it's Natwest Travel Insurance. They have said they will not proceed until I prove the delay.

Sounds normal.

Holiday rep? Ex-pat forums?
  • Hi
    Not sure if it is enough for your insurance company but if you search twitter for A1 Bologna on twitter a number of tweets come up from a few different accounts.
  • CCISS‏ @CCISS_Ministero Sep 10
    More
    A1 Milano-Bologna code per 8 km causa incidente nel tratto compreso tra A1 Fidenza (Km. 90,4) e Nodo A1/A21 km 5...
    Translated from Italian by Bing Wrong translation?
    A1 Milano-Bologna queues for 8 km due to accident in the stretch between A1 Fidenza (90.4 Km) and Node A1/A21 km 5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure