A Few Questions

Have been getting my application completed online ready to go in about 5 weeks time.

I have 28 Creditors and the total owing is north of £100K - does this make it more likely I will be hauled in for an interview in person ?

26 of the debts are over ten years old and all but three have been sold on to 3rd parties does this have any bearing on matters. IE the OC's have sold it off for peanuts to various bottom feeders such as cabot and nco etc so does the OR consider this relevant ?

How are you supposed to remember what you spent it on over 10 years ago ? Is the OR less interested in ancient debts ?

I'm proud to say that my Bankruptcy will be "pure debt" with no rent or utilites included - up to date on all of them !!! Does this go in your favour ?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi there,

Interviews tend to be done in person when the application is more complicated. If your debts are all credit cards, loans, overdrafts etc. it may mean the application is still quite straight forward even though it is for £100k plus. Unfortunately, it is difficult to say for certain one way or the other.

It will be irrelevant to the OR what the debt collectors bought the debt for and it is very common for debts to be with third party companies at this stage, so I think it is unlikely this will have any impact on the application.

When asked what you spent the money on, you should give as much information as possible. It is understandable that won't recall every detail from 10 years ago, but all you can do is give as much information as you have.

The adjudicator will consider your application and make a decision within 28 days of you submitting it. If the application is rejected you can appeal this decision.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    The face to face interview is fine, mine was complicated but the examiner was really kind and did everything he could to put me at ease, he moved figures around to help, nothing to be concerned about,
  • Butts
    Butts Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi there,

Interviews tend to be done in person when the application is more complicated. If your debts are all credit cards, loans, overdrafts etc. it may mean the application is still quite straight forward even though it is for £100k plus. Unfortunately, it is difficult to say for certain one way or the other.

It will be irrelevant to the OR what the debt collectors bought the debt for and it is very common for debts to be with third party companies at this stage, so I think it is unlikely this will have any impact on the application.

When asked what you spent the money on, you should give as much information as possible. It is understandable that won't recall every detail from 10 years ago, but all you can do is give as much information as you have.

The adjudicator will consider your application and make a decision within 28 days of you submitting it. If the application is rejected you can appeal this decision.

Laura
    @natdebtline

All my debts are credit cards or loans.

Some of the expenditure was probably 25 years ago, none of it was on gambling. How on earth are you supposed to remember from that far back ? Will it suffice to say that it was just a general accrual over the years - ie living beyond your means which it generally is unless gambling is involved.

I feel it is extremely relevant that most of the debts are owned by third parties. It is impossible to find out how much they paid for them and I am led to believe it is often pennies. If the original creditor has written the money off why should they gain large sums of money without disclosing their outlay. In my case they will get diddly squat.
  • Butts
    The face to face interview is fine, mine was complicated but the examiner was really kind and did everything he could to put me at ease, he moved figures around to help, nothing to be concerned about,

How long was it between your Bankruptcy and Interview and did they have your old bank and credit card statements in front of them ?
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Butts wrote: »
    How long was it between your Bankruptcy and Interview and did they have your old bank and credit card statements in front of them ?

My BR was 5 years ago, I think my interview was 2 to 3 weeks after.
    Yes I had provided 2 year bank statements and 1 year credit card statements as requested.
    My case was then tranferred to a trustee as there were 3 properties and and an ex partner.
    I was showed respect from everyone involved.
  • Butts
    In Section 4 of the Online Bankruptcy Form (Assets) it asks about any pensions, life ins etc that you have cashed in in the last 5 years.

When you answer yes it does not ask for any further information such as name / amount etc.

I find this strange.

I had an employment pension that I cashed in a couple of years ago -I only got a monkey and paid the tax due which was deducted at source.

Anyone got any insight - is my form flawed or is this normal ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure