PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm wincing in sympathy at the rug story! I have a large antique carpet - it's been patched in a couple of places and is wearing out but I love it, it was in my bedroom when I was a child. I had it professionally cleaned about 17 years ago so it's probably filthy again by now and my elderly cat has added to the pattern but it still sparks joy. However it's the only thing in the house that I can't move by myself. I've shifted sofas, wardrobes, desks and beds over the years using sliders or partially dismantling them, but the rug is too heavy and unwieldy to move without help.

Good luck with it Greenbee, I bet it will look lovely once it's all in place.

Someone mentioned baking trays above. I bake a lot, and make at least 30 biscuits every week but I only have two trays. I use baking parchment and load up the first two. While they're baking I'm usually working on cutting out/rolling/slicing the next two trays' worth. I put them on sheets of parchment; when the first trays come out I slide the parchment sheet off, run the tray under the tap to cool it, and slide on the next sheet with raw biscuits on. There are a few recipes where the biscuits are supposed to cool on the sheets but I haven't found this to be essential as you're not lifting them while they're fragile. Just thought I'd throw this out there - don't imagine I am a minimalist about baking equipment though. I have around 30 different sizes and shapes of cake tin - and that's after Kondoing!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Decided that I wouldn't bother with the film in the camera in the end. I know we got somebody to take a photo of us standing where OH had proposed, which sounds romantic, but TBH I was so sick of waiting for the proposal the moment didn't really spark the joy it should have done if I hadn't had to wait so long. And no, I wasn't going to propose to him, he knew it would be his choice of when and where. I've got lots of lovely photos of our wedding, I don't need the one from the camera. I have thanked the camera and will also be letting that go either to CS or recycling as it hasn't been used for 11 years. I asked OH about the camera case I found it in, whether we could get rid of that. Oh, keep it for now. I said if he hasn't used it in the next 12 months it's going, since I know it's not been used for the last 11 years.....

This morning I'm kondoing dirt out of the cat bed. She's a bit confused about where it's gone, currently on the table outside drying off in the sun.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Had a LBM yesterday whilst reading the thread (thought i'd ticked the relevant post to share, but obviously haven't and now i can't find it). Anyway, someone said about all their clothes fitting into one drawer and I thought "well actually mine would do that - shirts / tops and trousers anyway - that would free up a drawer in the dresser."

The LBM was when i then realised that all the en-suite towels would then fit into the free drawer and clear space in the closet.:T The towels have been mugging me off cos they are rather crammed in. I know i could ditch them, but they are v. plain cream and perfectly usable so they will come into circulation at some point so i don't want to get rid.

SO thanks, whoever's post sparked that off. :D

About to drop another small bag at the chazzer - i have added my tap shoes to it. I used to do a ladies tap class and then had to drop out of it for some years due to logistics. Last year i started it up again but had to drop out due to all the overseas travel I was doing. I could start again, but I haven't missed it at all and so i think that part of my life is done now (I have been through all the "I could do it, and maybe I should do it", when in fact it seems i don't want to do it) and am happy to let the shoes go :T
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,142 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm wincing in sympathy at the rug story! I have a large antique carpet - it's been patched in a couple of places and is wearing out but I love it, it was in my bedroom when I was a child. I had it professionally cleaned about 17 years ago so it's probably filthy again by now and my elderly cat has added to the pattern but it still sparks joy. However it's the only thing in the house that I can't move by myself. I've shifted sofas, wardrobes, desks and beds over the years using sliders or partially dismantling them, but the rug is too heavy and unwieldy to move without help.

Good luck with it Greenbee, I bet it will look lovely once it's all in place.

Builder has got the rug in place, stretched it and trimmed it to fit. We're a tiny bit short so there will be one space with bare boards. It will need adjusting slightly when it's completely dry, but I'm happy with how it looks. It's nice to have decent underlay as well!

We've just spend an hour and a half moving furniture so we could empty the room he's starting on today (his assistant has the day off, and TBH it was easier for me to move the furniture with him anyway). The bedroom is now a tip as stuff has just been stuck in there any way it can go.

The ancient beds (originally from my great grandmother have been taken apart. I need to polish the head and footboards before we put them back together, and the wooden supports are going to be bolted to the metal ones this time instead of held on with duct tape! It's a lovely room, but WAY too full of furniture, so a lot less will be going back in there. After all, visitors need a bed, bedside table, a couple of hooks and coathangers, and maybe a dressing table and mirror. I don't think a chest of drawers is really essential for them. Or a bookcase.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Options
    This talk of washing rugs made me haul 2 of mine outside to be scrubbed. Laid them out on the patio and threw a bucket of warm water and fairy over them, scrubbed them with my windowbrush ,squeegeed them then rinsed in cold water with the watering can. They are now resting over the patio furniture. In this heat they will dry quickly. Enjoying this heatwave up here.:j
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    So its all about timing or maybe synchronicity;).

If you'd have told me three weeks ago I'd be clearing out my house, emergency moving my daughter in, emergency moving her stuff from her flat and her ex boyfriends house and then moving her into a new place today I think I may have laid down in a dark corner and not emerged for some time! :D

However, we've just about done it, still lots to move from her flat. But we are packed, kondoed and pretty much ready to go for her move later today.

I can calmly lay my hand on spare towels, curtains, washing powder, bathroom accessories, kitchen accessories, bedding etc.
    Most of her clothing has been washed and dried and smells new and fresh.

She is excited and in a great mood and her friend will help her set up home in her new place after we've unloaded.

I've kondoed the bedding cupboard and got a pile for car boot of old excess bedding and curtains and cushion covers.

Found two or three tents?:eek: I'll sort when I have more time.

Moved cooker and cleaned underneath it and 'found' an oven tray that was long lost.

Dismantled and took three wardrobes to the dump yesterday and a huge mattress which half killed me lugging up to the skip. More rubbish discarded from her flat and only keeping essentials and personal possessions.

I've realised that stuff doesn't matter and as I go through and review, relocate or discard I have a strange sense of freedom, for the first time in many decades.

I'm itching to get on with my business stuff, and will and should be able to get on with this, finally after my daughter moves out.

Have a great day everyone.

Rug inspiration hit here also and i've washed one from the kitchen that fitted in the washing machine :D
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • greenbee
    edited 9 May 2016 at 3:55PM
    Options
    well done Triker... and it looks like if you hadn't been able to find a flat for your DD you'd have been able to set her up in a campsite :D

Clearly I should wash the rest of my rugs...
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I took one of my rugs to the local car valet place, he has a carpet cleaner thingy, he did it for me for next to nothing, and let in dry in his large workshop, I would have struggled for ages, but it makes me happy it is now clean, fresh, and smell nice back in its place.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • greenbee
    Options
    Good idea kaz. Next time I'll do that... although I'll need to borrow a van. A big van!

House is now a tip... furniture everywhere... but I have to sort it out before I go to bed!
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Greenbee, see if the valet guy will come to your house, some of them are mobile, it may be cheaper in the end compared to hiring or borrowing a van.

Just decluttered some more 'stuff' as a door sale........love it, stuff out that I no longer need / money in for my hol kitty. :)
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills