Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2016

Comments

• stoneman wrote: »
    Seldom seen kid
    Why did hubby short change the taxi driver? $16 is about the correct fare to MGM if not on the cheap side.

We have absolutely no itention of ripping anyone off. The fact he wanted to take the freeway implied to my husband that he wanted to rip us off. If this is not the case then we will feel really bad. However, after telling him which direction to take he was really off with us, and the journey was very uncomfortable. As we pulled up he was asking for the money, and we got the impression that he wanted it before we got out of the car. We had to get out of the car as our money was in our hand luggage in the boot, and he made absolutely no effort in helping up unload our luggage. I hope this makes sense?
  • traveller wrote: »
    Only thing is you made me realise how much I will miss Santa Monica-I keep questioning my decision to try San Diego

We went to SD 2 years agao. It has a very different vibe to SM, but is a great place. We would visit SD again in a heartbeat.

Having visited LV loads, and still having loads of places still to visit and loads memories to create, I am loving the fact that we are now adding a 2nd city to visit each trip. This year we flew in and out of LA, but I definitely perfere flying in and out of LV and having the middle weekend as a trip away. It can actually be cost effect as the weekend rates in LV can sometimes be excessively high.
  • traveller
    traveller Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    We went to SD 2 years agao. It has a very different vibe to SM, but is a great place. We would visit SD again in a heartbeat.

Having visited LV loads, and still having loads of places still to visit and loads memories to create, I am loving the fact that we are now adding a 2nd city to visit each trip. This year we flew in and out of LA, but I definitely perfere flying in and out of LV and having the middle weekend as a trip away. It can actually be cost effect as the weekend rates in LV can sometimes be excessively high.

My biggest worry is it's boring,lol! Don't ask me why, as I was desperate to book it. But now i've been second guessing myself. Our plan is the zoo, for my youngest, Mission beach and Balboa park as the main stuff and the trolley tour. We're staying on Shelters Island, for a Hawaii feel,lol :D And we're flying Spirit :rotfl:
    :A Your Always in my heart, you never ever will be forgotten-9/9/14:heart2:
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We have decided to go back to Vegas next year but this time have plans to do it differently. Hubby is disabled and usually hires a mobility scooter over there and we spend the 2 weeks mostly on strip doing different shows each night.

Next time we are taking a fold up wheelchair and have decided to go for maybe 3 weeks but hire a car and do a road trip. Thinking perhaps 3 or 4 night in Vegas then leaving in the car and returning to Vegas for the last 4 nights or so leaving us a week or so for travelling somewhere else.

So thats my question really, where would people recommend thats a reasonable drive and worth seeing and staying for a while. Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco?

Whats a good reasonably east drive to do, both for the timescale and the scenery? Ive driven in Florida a few times but never anywhere else in the USA and would prefer to avoid any major city driving.

Would appreciate any advice or recommendations, thank you.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 22 May 2016 at 4:39PM
    You could do a big loop around the Grand Canyon, taking in Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks in southwestern Utah. Maybe plus Arches and Canyonlands near Moab.

Or you could do a loop up to Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks in California, maybe plus Lake Tahoe on the Nevada/California border. Maybe even the Pacific Coast Highway.

All those places are excellent, and most of the roads on those routes have excellent views and not much traffic.

All but the smallest towns have motels and restaurants, so you're not limited to staying in big cities.

It would be worth experimenting in Google Maps to check routes and distances.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you for the reply, Im doing lots of googling and will probably be doing an awful lot more now I have this idea in my head! Im not too bothered about the Grand Canyon as we have been but would perhaps like to see some coastal areas.

So much choice-so little time!
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    swingaloo wrote: »
    So thats my question really, where would people recommend thats a reasonable drive and worth seeing and staying for a while. Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco?

Whats a good reasonably east drive to do, both for the timescale and the scenery? Ive driven in Florida a few times but never anywhere else in the USA and would prefer to avoid any major city driving.

I would cross LA off the list if you are wanting to avoid major city driving...we haven't driven in SF but I gather that it may be a bit of a struggle with parking being difficult and with a wheelchair (but I could be wrong on that). We really liked San Diego but were only there one night and I cannot really remember the lay of the land.

I suppose it depends on what you like, really - if you enjoy nature and national parks and that sort of thing, then John's suggestion may be one to consider. you obviously know what mobility restrictions you'll have, but we don't normally venture too far from the car when we visit the parks and we feel we get a lot out of them.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • traveller wrote: »
    My biggest worry is it's boring,lol! Don't ask me why, as I was desperate to book it. But now i've been second guessing myself. Our plan is the zoo, for my youngest, Mission beach and Balboa park as the main stuff and the trolley tour. We're staying on Shelters Island, for a Hawaii feel,lol :D And we're flying Spirit :rotfl:

Definitely not boring.
    USS Midway was not something I thought of doing, but loved it.
    Had my best shopping trip / most bargains at Westfield Mission Valley.
    Had 2 very drunken nights for my husbands 40th in SD. 1) Up the top of the Hyatt. Great views, and worth popping up. 2) House of Blues with a random band who were handing out free drinks vouchers before they played.
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Drunken Nights, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I look forward to many of those real soon !! :D:D:D
    Still haven't toped my "Bin" scenario on the walkway between NYNY & Excalibur! ;););)
  • traveller
    traveller Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    Hi, the last time we went to Vegas, I drove, this time I'm not and not sure whether to order a car service or get a cab/uber to the Signature. Is it a lot of waiting around if you take a cab, let alone the tunneling carry on,lol. What does everyone here do? Thanks
    :A Your Always in my heart, you never ever will be forgotten-9/9/14:heart2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport