We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    stunning day here ! suns shining, blue sky ...

and im spending the afternoon in the hospital with my mum [having melanoma removed]..............
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope it all went well for Mum, alfie. The Big C has been in our minds too recently, as we attended a big event at the weekend to celebrate the life of a friend: a survivor who raises thousands for the hospital she still attends. :A

Here, I just have a sore throat and the usual aches & pains which go with it, so nothing to grumble about, but I've taken it easy. :o

The other two broke through from the unfinished en-suite to DW's Den today, which will now be sealed-up from the outside to become a walk-in wardrobe/linen room about 10' x 8' in old money. In the picture DW is frantically painting the door that will never open again when a wall is built behind it.....:cool:

DSCF0134.jpg
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope mum gets on fine Alfie.

You are busy Dave - always you two are getting stuff done.

It's been a slow day here - shifting things & then shifting other things - living in the place as we are doing it is hard & muddly. Still, what can you do?
  • Davesnave
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    You are busy Dave - always you two are getting stuff done.

It's been a slow day here - shifting things & then shifting other things - living in the place as we are doing it is hard & muddly. Still, what can you do?
    Yes, it's gone well in the last two days, but what we're doing now is changing stuff we did last year, thanks to altering our plans. If we'd done it right the first time.....:o

Still, it's lucky we made DW's room flexible. This bedroom/en-suite/wardrobe space combination could be a small, independent living unit without a lot of tweaking now. The space we're making into storage for clothes and linen could be a basic kitchen, if we ever need it. Hope we don't, but circumstances alter.

As for shifting things.... where the builder is fixing the door frame, there was a Welsh dresser parked and about 20 boxes! :rotfl:That all moved late last week. Most of the house is still a bit of a tip, but it's a warm tip now and the kitchen/diner's good.

Incidentally, our builder friend bought a plot of around an acre while in Australia, complete with PP and a modern wooden barn. He won't be around here for more than a year now. He and his wife will be off to build their dream. :beer:

I'm really happy for him. He lost everything in the financial crash of 2008. He's a much better joiner than businessman. ;)
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Oh, almost forgot...saw what looked like two big planes joined together today and then another two, which I snapped when they were well into the distance.

When I blew the pictures up, I could see one was flying above the other and they weren't refuelling or joined at all.

P1000234.jpgimgur
    Look to me like B52s, but I'm no expert! :)
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is the gestation period of a B52? When do we hear the scream of likkle engines?;)
  • Davesnave
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    What is the gestation period of a B52? When do we hear the scream of likkle engines?;)
    Never. They migrate westwards to the USA in order to breed.

The actual mechanics of it are shrouded in mystery, but a rare photograph, smuggled out of Area 51, may yield some clues:

b52e.jpg

My guess is that it's some kind of asexual process. You have to admit, it's quite like this:

kalanchoe-mother-of-thousands-2__67266.1406661370.740.740.jpg?c=2

:D
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is that seamen on the wings? If so, that's not asexual reproduction.

Oh, wrong kind of..... Ah....
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    morning all...

now that would be a spectacular "wing walk" if it took to the air :eek:
    mums little op went fine...she takes it all in her stride !

getting very cool at night now ! brrrrr and bit chilly first thing... seems to warm up a bit during the day ... a bit !
    still no rain tho [had a few attempts last week] and the ground id rock hard, ponds still almost empty..

I got home yesterday to find a big box on my doorstep containing the most beautifull bunch of roses and chocs sent from the couple and 2 kids I had to stay last weekend...:D brightened my day !

still no sign of horses next door moving :( they have broken the top wire to our field leaning over to get to our grass but I see she has craftily put an electric fence line [not on] at an angle to prevent this on the broken bit BUT its still broken ... im undecided wether to say to her to mend it or leave it till they get in and then complain ;)

im hoping on Monday that we can pick up the carriage [hoss] to take it to LIR.. the mare and foal are growing/changing daily it seems ! LIR intends to go shopping by hoss and cart....:rotfl:

im getting so bl**dy annoyed with these random selling calls to my mobile !! I now just say "can I have your details as you have my number illegally....oooo where have you gone " ;)

the one thing I do miss in this house is the lack of "jobs to do"... I know ! I don't get covered I paint/oil/sawdust etc... should be gratefull I suppose...;)

im having my feet "done" today... im treating my crocodile heels to a going over....:rotfl:
    then driving a couple [in their posh car] to the docks for a cruise...

well have a good y'all...
  • Davesnave
    Options
    We had our first frost yesterday morning, alfie. Not a biggie, but enough to whiten the grass.

Still not up for rumbustious outdoor jobs, I put the drill that Hitachi have just repaired FoC for me to good use and dug out the fireplace opening yesterday pm. It was a delicate job in parts, as I had to reduce some bricks at the back to about half their length....and the other end of them form part of the kitchen wall! Anyway, I seem to have got away with that. :D

Horse Woman isn't improving and all concerned seem to be putting-off the inevitable. She doesn't have carers, she has 'enablers,' which means effectively that she can just stay in bed, not eat, not take her pills and tell them to boogar off, which they do, frequently. :(

DW is fed up, having queried all this and been 'put right' over their role. She's now having to check -up on them! :(:(

I'm afraid she gave HW's youngest son an ear-bashing by phone a few days ago. He hasn't seen his Mum this year. He'll get a bloody big shock when he does! :mad:

No word from either fireplace/fire company, but at least we have a tidy hole for it. Conservatory co sent new contract at new price, so that's under way, but there are still unanswered questions.......
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback