Sisters Debt

Options
Hello,
I'm just writing to ask for some advice please, as everyone is so helpful on here.....

My sister lived with my husband and I for 6 months back in 2003; she moved in with her boyfriend later in that year. At the time she changed all her contact details to our address, however, they were all changed again when she moved.

Earlier this year she moved out of town with her boyfriend, and we received a couple of letters at our address for her chasing her for payment from debt collection agencies, also at the same time we kept on getting phone calls, we have now changed our phone no and have gone ex directory because of this.

All had been quite for a couple of months, and then totally out of the blue last week we received two letters from debt collection agencies again for her and one was threatening to send someone round to our address. I phoned both and explained the situation and sent the letters back with her address on. However, one thing worries my husband and I, what if she sends the letters back denying that she lives where she does and says that she still resides at our address....?? We are so worried about this, she is very devious and we're worried that we may have baliffs knocking on our door....??

She has never been on the electoral roll for our address, so surely they can't do anything.....??

Any advice will be welcome. ;)

Thanks so much
Kez
Light bulb moment 18/03/06 Total Debt at light bulb moment approx £40k :eek:
Total Debt now £29,973.82 :j
Snowball date Dec 2010, but hope to clear by June 2010 if not sooner.....
Arrgghhh......!!! :o

Comments

• terriblesaver
    Options
    Kez

I had this with my sister - I called the agencies and gave her details and stated that if they kept threating things at our address i would report them for harrassment - they stopped!

Also been advised that credit rating etc goes on name and date of birth not addresses if that helps!

X
    Terriblesaver - hoping to improve!!! Unsecured debt ... £[STRIKE]57938[/STRIKE] £51453
    Official DFW Nerd no 176
    Reclaimed and won Capital One £224, Paragon £758, GE Capital £63 and £135
  • bargainbetty
    Options
    Just keep sending back the letters with 'NOT AT THIS ADDRESS' written across them. You have provided a forwarding address and it is up to the baliffs to follow it up. I would write a letter to the companies involved stating when she left and that you are not financially liable for any of her debts as you are not and never have been her guarantor.

Also state that further communications will be discarded unread, and further phonecalls or visits will be considered harrassment. If baliffs turn up on your doorstep, push a copy of the letter through the box and tell them they have sixty seconds to leave before you call the police.

Even if she is devious, you are not liable. Do not be bullied!!

Good luck xx
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • KEZZAE_2
    Options
    Thanks so much to you both for your replies. That's put my mind at rest, and no doubt my husbands.... She already owes him 1K, not much chance of getting that back....

I sent my sister an email last week, I don't like being nasty but I did threaten her that if we get any more letters then I will have to come and confront her face to face.....!!

I'll see how things go, I'll let you know what happens.....

Thanks again
    Kez
    xx
    Light bulb moment 18/03/06 Total Debt at light bulb moment approx £40k :eek:
    Total Debt now £29,973.82 :j
    Snowball date Dec 2010, but hope to clear by June 2010 if not sooner.....
    Arrgghhh......!!! :o
  • SAP_Saver
    Options
    you are not liable. Do not be bullied!!
    Good luck xx

Keep tough... and listen this good advice.

Deepest Debt - £13,000+
    Debt Now - £0
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if they sent someone round to your address all you have to do is wave a proof of ID under their nose and somethign to prove you live there (rent agreement or something with your name and address on) and tell them to whistle for it. You have provided details on where they can find her and regardless the debt isn't yours therefor they can't take anything from your property - it would be seen as theft.

Hope that helps you feel a little more relaxed about them "threatening" to come round :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • terriblesaver
    Options
    Don't worry - your sister should curl up in embarrassment - mine did!!!

be firm but fair - tell her to call them as putting it off makes it worse .

xx
    Terriblesaver - hoping to improve!!! Unsecured debt ... £[STRIKE]57938[/STRIKE] £51453
    Official DFW Nerd no 176
    Reclaimed and won Capital One £224, Paragon £758, GE Capital £63 and £135
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family