euro's & Halifax credit cards

I put £600 into my Halifax credit card to use on holiday,I withdrew £300 worth of euro's from a Santander
bank and only got 103 euro's per pound,my friend 20 metres away got113.5 euro's.
Martin says the Halifax is best for exchange,what did I do wrong?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You accepted the overseas bank's exchange rate/fee, rather than letting Halifax do the conversion.

Next time read the message on the ATM screen. The option you want, on a Santander ATM, is "without conversion". The other option (ie "with conversion") works out the GBP amount for you and displays it on screen.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Also not a good idea to 'put' money onto a credit card in advance to spend. Putting the account into credit may breach terms and conditions.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    mogsey14 wrote: »
    I put £600 into my Halifax credit card to use on holiday,I withdrew £300 worth of euro's from a Santander
    bank and only got 103 euro's per pound,my friend 20 metres away got113.5 euro's.
    Martin says the Halifax is best for exchange,what did I do wrong?
    Please can you let us know the location of these ATM's giving such fantastic rates?
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Please can you let us know the location of these ATM's giving such fantastic rates?

I think he meant per one hundred pounds. If there was an ATM giving out 103 euros per pound then we'd all be flying there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure