Have you saved money? Want to tell the world?

Options

Comments

• BavarianMonk
    Options
    Whenver I manage to save some money during the month, something always crops up...like a car repair, that means I have to resort to using the money I have saved. Every single month!!! Maybe one month I will not have to use this and start the ball rolling
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    Mine are:

Instead of going to the cinema twice a month (around £70-80 once dinner is factored in) I joined Lovefilm for 4 quid a month and have had a free rental already for no reason! Saving me about £60 (we buy popcorn and bits)
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • transgenic
    Options
    Using the downshift technique and not going out as much I saved £180 last month, when usually I would have absolutely nothing left at the end of the month. I should be able to get that up to £200 per month and assuming there are no household/motor catastrophes, I should be able to save £2400 per year.
    Debt as of 02/02/2012
    Mortgage | [STRIKE]£2000 Loan[/STRIKE] | [STRIKE]Electric Bill[/STRIKE] | [STRIKE]Overdraft[/STRIKE] | Practically debt free! (Excluding mortgage)

Savings as of 02/02/2012
    General Savings - £3300 (So grateful I had some - just had to pay emergency vet bills) | Christmas 2012 Savings - £20
  • StockTrader6080
    Options
    Changed my phones to vonage for a low monthly cost and free long distance.
    Also changed from satelite tv to cable (includes internet).

All in, I've saved about 250 per month.

Also relooking at how I trade the stock market. Here's a good article by Regina Guinn: http://www.cool-trade.com/education/Invest2010.asp

Keith
  • Maiiden
    Options
    I have done rather well considering im on basic pay. i have saved £3000 in 8months last year so i could have my freind visit me in the UK.
    This year i have saved another £2200 so far to go towards my wedding and just had a renewal come through for my car insurace at a cost of £2000.93. on which i
    found another comparing willing to insure me for £991!!
    Being 20years old i think im doing rather well considering i have a brand new car and will be getting married abroad. although i dont have much of a life with all the things i cut back on. still all good. :)

aviva 12months for price of 10months car insurance.
    £3500 wedding plan for basic pay worker. £350 + £200 + £1700
  • nbaki82
    nbaki82 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    I have changed from Skype to Vyke and absolutely love the quality and the price. I have moved some of my friends over as well, because Vyke to Vyke calls are free.
  • TheLupineOne
    Options
    I discovered some print-out vouchers that Martin has missed in his e-mail!
    Visit Millies Cookies website, and print off their coupons for winter (expires 28/02/10)

When I showed them the "buy one treatbox, get one free" coupon, they asked if I wanted to go for 4 treatboxes for 2! That's 48 cookies for £9.99! Let's bring up the good old "Cookie Calculator"

From the website...
    1 for £0.99 - Real Tasty!
    4 for £2.99 - That's 75p per cookie!
    6 for £3.99 - That's 67p per cookie!

12 Take Home / Treatbox for £5.99 - That's 50p per cookie!
    24 Take Home / Treatbox for £9.99 - That's 42p per cookie!

But with vouchers...
    12 for £3.99 - That's 33p per cookie!
    24 for £5.99 - That's 25p per cookie!
    48 for £9.99 - THAT'S 21p PER COOKIE!!!

Wow... that's serious moneysaving.
  • likklegem
    Options
    Thanks Martin! Thanks to you, I'm becoming a regular little money saver!

So far this year:

Got Regular Saving Account with Barclays at 6% - Earned at the end of the year £70

Switched to Talk Talk from BT, saving of £25 per month, plus £55 from Quidco for switching

Switched Gas and Elec from Scottish Power to E-on - saving of £300 over the year, plus £65 for switching through Quidco

£2275 from mis-sold PPI back from HSBC

Reduced Credit Card Debt from £3200, to £1100 (and its at 0% so not only am I saving in the long run, I'm paying the debt off! - which I reckon has saved me about £1000

Total Saving: £4010 - I love you Martin Lewis!!! You have well converted me! I'm aiming for £5000 next year!

:beer:
  • Lehman
    Lehman Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    nbaki82 wrote: »
    I have changed from Skype to Vyke and absolutely love the quality and the price. I have moved some of my friends over as well, because Vyke to Vyke calls are free.

I also like Vyke a lot. My friend made me move from MSN Voice to Vyke and I like it a lot. Good quality and excellent price for international especially US and Canada.
  • WAVENEY
    WAVENEY Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Since joining the site i have reduced my food bills by shopping around on other posters advice also i now meal plan which avoid waste.My thanks to all .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure