Low Carb Diets Support Thread

Comments

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    2 stone loss is great, however you cut it, 40% or 2/5ths, you are going in the right direction.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning all :)

I've been reading through the early pages of this thread, very interesting! I just wanted to post to make it official in my head that I'm here and so I'll make a point of coming to check recipes.

I have diabetes and for the two years since diagnosis I thought I was eating low carb but realise now that I'm probably eating too much of it. Choosing low carb foods but not properly counting and eating more than a target amount. Anyway, I wasn't overweight when diagnosed, medication and this half hearted LC diet and now I am overweight (about 2 stone) so I'm going to need some help please.

Ok, going back to the recipes to find something amazing for dinner tonight...
  • pamsdish
    Welcome xbrenx, we are all here for you if you need help.
  • Morning all

Welcome xbren.

I got to 13lb weight loss; went away for the weekend and put 5lb on. Carbs had me bloated too.

Back to it today. Want to be at a stone loss by next week again. Have another break planned in 6 weeks. Want to be at 2stone weight loss by then; 3.5lb a week should be doable.

Good luck all.

HHx
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good morning everyone......

Fell off the wagon but can I come back now please.

I have been really struggling with my car crash injuries - no excuse I know ibut starting to feel better so I'm really need to get back down to lo carbing.

I need my blood sugars testing. I know I've not been strict enough but hey it's a new dawn, a new day and I'm starting again.

Going to have a fridge sort out and get organised.

Will catch up later.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am stuck! Just haven't shifted the stubborn 2lbs. So the past 2 days I have gone back to Induction phase. That will do it. My self imposed deadline has been extended by 10 days (that's when we go away for a week). I came closest to cheating this week, after 4 months. I had a stern word with myself about how much I had achieved, rather than thinking about the not- yet-achieved, iyswim. It would be soooo annoying to cheat just once this week because, for me, a cheat will stop any weight loss for the whole week, wiping out the other 6 days of effort. I hung in there, and I have been very strict ever since that near wobble :D

I am about to write a list of things to take to the self catering cottage, so I can ensure appropriate victuals are to hand (eg, sweetener, sugar-free jelly, nuts!). That way I won't be panicking / anxious about what's for tea, and I can eat sensibly. Obvs fresh stuff will be purchased locally.

DH is planning a trip to his fav restaurant. I checked the menu online and have spotted a dish that will suit. Unfortunately the desserts sound yummy but I have resisted for months so no problem there - my philosophy on restaurant desserts has been a MSE one! If I have no dessert, I save money :D I 'll treat myself to a bunch of flowers with the saving. No calories in them!

Feeling a lot more chilled than I was 2 days' ago, must have got past the angst :j

M
    PS - I am definitely going to bake the low carb almond and cocoa bickies to take with me. Will do nicely on our rambles :)
    PPS - Waitrose Mediterranean burgers for tea. Salad for me, bun for DH!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    MMF007 - I am stuck too, physically and mentally. I just don't know what's wrong with me.....

.I know what to do but I just can't get into gear.

I know my blood sugars are too high, I know I need to eat lo carb, I know I need to exercise. I am a mass of aches and pains......I have zero energy. Well I will feel like that because I am lugging around 3 stones of extra weight around.

I am so cross with myself. I have no excuse. I just feel so low and demotivated.

Maybe it's a combination of the 2nd anniversary of my husband's death and the after effects of the car crash but I feel so low. I just can't seem to get going.

Well it stops right here.........

It's time to climb back on the wagon.

If you don't mind, I'm going to post on here every day to try and stay motivated. Still need to get a battery for the scales but will take my measurements today.

Yesterday I stocked up, plenty of meat and fish in the freezer, plenty of f&v, some nuts and seeds for snacking.

Sorry for sounding such a wimp and for moaning.

I'm setting myself a goal of losing 1 stone by Christmas. That's about 1 lb per week.

Surely I can do that. :o
  • pamsdish
    I am letting myself and everyome else down this week, car broke down on Sunday, and it`s been a tale of woe since, looking like this time next week before on the road again, with a resultant hefty bill.
    I keep saying I need to go through my freezers and this is my chance, so head down and menu plan with in house/freezer ingredients.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh, Lessonlearned, don't be hard on yourself, please. We wouldn't be dieting if we were at our ideal weight and whatever the reason for weight gain we can lose it, but only by having the right outlook. Now, I shall send you positive vibes, encourage you to have a stern word with yourself that you CAN do this, and cheer you on along the way. Ok? :D

the first lesson I learned about starting and sticking to a diet was that you have no alternative but to start from where you are! So no regretting how the weight went on, just look at what you can achieve now, by losing some.
    Second - choose the diet that suits you. I have NEVER felt hungry on low carb diet so I don't day dream about what I want to eat. Makes for so much less temptation.

Lose a few pounds on a strict start and you will be buzzing. That feeling of achievement will sustain you as you continue.

You have obs been through a very tough time but you have coped with it and possibly now is the time you can see a future with some joy in it. Small things really make a difference to me when I am down - pretty pottery, a beautiful tree, dew on spiders webs, you know the things!

Annoying and inconvenient though the car repair maybe, if you can afford it then it's not the end of the world. Don't let it get you down. (Please don't think that's callous, Imused to fret like mad over a puncture, a broken cup, anything! Now I think I am lucky to be able to fund the replacement and that it was not more dangerous!).

HTH.

(((((( hug )))))))

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • MMF007.

Thank you so much for those kind words.....you have brought tears to me eyes.....

I really don't know why I feel so low. I've got no real excuse. You are so right though, I can do this and I will do this. I am not going to give in.

I ate quite well yesterday, although I didn't manage any exercise. By the time I had finsihed the ironing I was just too tired. Still I did at least get the ironing done. So that's a plus. :D

A friend rang me up,yesterday and invited herself to stay for a few days. In a way I don't feel up to it but I know it will do me good. She's good fun and I am sure we will have a few laughs.

And at least it will make me clean the house :rotfl: she's coming on Wednesday so it gives me a few days to get organised.

I think part of my problem is I am not getting out and about enough. I've been widowed for two years now and I do feel as if I am drifting a bit.

I have resolved that as soon as my back is a bit better I am going to join a gym, both to get fitter and also to meet new people.

Today I am having cold meat and cheese followed by ras0berries for an early lunch and then dinner will be chicken and Mediterranean vegetables.

I can be very good during the day but do have a tendency to get the evening munchies, so I have bought nuts and fruit and I might make some Parmesan crisps later.

I am not concerned about the car. It was a write off. I have decided to go car free for a while. I live with my son and we are going to car share.

And anyway, it's time I walked more. ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure