Moving to Newport - advice please!

krys21
krys21 Posts: 1 Newbie
Hello, I'm planning on moving to Newport because Bristol has become mega-expensive and the places I can afford here are depressing! I hear not great things about Newport, but I'm sure it's not that bad...right? I'll still be working in Bristol so need to get to the station, but are there any areas that are particularly to avoid? There's loads of property up for sale east of the river off of Corporation Road (think this is Victoria?) and in Barnardtown (off Church Road) - is this area ok? It kinda looks flood-able... What about the area sandwiched between the big roads (brynglas avenue-ish) or Barrack Hill-ish? Any advice appreciated! I don't want to get this totally wrong!

Comments

• Looks like you'd be better posting on the housing sub-forum re this.
  • carguy143
    carguy143 Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    HI Krys,
    I recently moved to a "New Town" called Skelmersdale. I'd heard all the negative things about the place which started in the 80s/90s however I am always of the opinion that places, like people, do change. What I did, and what I would recommend you do is this:

1. Go to some estate agents in the towns. Tell them what you're after. Explain your situation and ask them for the good and bad areas. Yes, the sales people are on commission and will want to sell a house, but they will still have a good knowledge of the area and as they will want your custom, should be happy to share the info with you.

2. You're your own best judge. Once you've gone to the estate agent or seen houses you like, you should scope out the areas yourself. Go at different times of the day and on different days of the week if you can. This will give you a better idea of an area as that quiet street during the day can be a living hell at night!

3. Research local news online. What's Newport's local paper? Read the local paper's website to get a better idea of the goings on in the area. Local papers are also full of adverts for things to see and do.

I hope my little guide helps you.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    +1 for all carguy has said, but also check for flood risks.
    No need to pay super-high house insurance if another address meets your needs & is up a hill a bit?
    Best of luck!
  • I'd consider renting for a while - what one person considers acceptable another won't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure