PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Comments

• scottishminnie
    scottishminnie Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 April 2015 at 9:48PM
    Mrs LW - sorry to hear about Olaf. He was much loved and cared for though and I like to think of him being in the sunshine. Our much loved Jack Russell is buried in the sunniest spot in the garden as he used to move round to lie in the sunshine. Good grief, the tears are tripping me right now I really need to get a grip.:o

Candlelight - I was given a Camellia last year which has plenty new shoots so hopefully I will also have flowers soon.

FTM - glad the babies are thriving. Not so good that you have the bug though. My father is on day 5 and is really struggling. He thought he felt better yesterday and went out to spread slurry only to come back pretty quickly as he felt so bad. Honestly, I'm not sure it was the best choice of activity given his state!

VJs mum - sounds like you had a great time. There is so much to do that another trip is always an option:)

Well the bathroom is finally finished - Yaay. The Fitters left yesterday so now I just need to clean the tiles to my standard and get rid of the annoying things like little bits of silicone and so on. I also need to buy some new fluffy towels. I'm finding towels don't seem to stay absorbent for as long as they did years ago. I was given loads of towels, most of them pretty cheap ones, as wedding gifts and they were still in good shape 7 years later when we moved to our current house. I only seem to get 3 years or so now before I have to cut them up for dusters.maybe I should just revert to buying cheaper ones and then it wouldn't matter so much although I hate to contribute to our disposable society.

I sowed some seeds last week and, with the exception of the melon, everything has sprouted in the propogater. I planted 6 courgette seeds, they look quite monstrous now. I think I will need to pot up some stuff at the end of the week. Thankfully the giant meccano set has now been assembled so the staging is ready to go into the greenhouse. I just need to buy a little paraffin heater as I've no heat or power in the greenhouse.

Kate - those ladies will be fat and feathered in no time.

Hoglet, Nellie, AOT and all our other friends - hope you are well

It's high winds and torrential rain here tonight , I can hear it battering on the windows. Glad to be inside and warm and cosy.:)
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi everyone

MLW - I was so sorry to hear about Olaf. I do like to think of him resting in the sun, that's a lovely image.

Life continues on here - I'm taking thia afternoon off to go to my cousin's graduation. I'll have a look around the shops first too as there are a few bits I'm a bit in need of.

We have a quiet weekend planned, which I'm really looking forward to, I seem to have been flat out recently!

love Hoglet x
  • Thanks for all your kind sympathy, I feel a bit better today but sad I couldn't fix him, poor little man. DD will not have another piggy now and she's freecycling his indoor cage which is sensible too.

FTM I hope you and Fern are feeling better today, such nasty things tummy bugs, it really knocks the stuffing out of you doesn't it? I hope Olivia and Esme are more stable today and that Annie is feeling a bit more level too, it's so very hard though when you want to just have them at home and be 'normal' mum and babies. She WILL get there and they will grow and thrive and go home, it will just take a little time and the hospital won't let them do so until they can be sure the babies are safe to let go from their care. Hope you've this lovely day up there FTM, sitting out in the sun will do you both the world of good, Lyn xxx.
  • Hello all,

We have had another lovely day although it has been somewhat cooler.

Went to see my sister and BIL today. He had a mild stroke a few weeks ago, he is still off work but gradually getting there. His memory isn't as good as it was but he seems to be in good spirits.

DD went to see her Consultant on Wednesday, he actually wasn't there so she saw his Registrar who wanted to do ANOTHER arthroscopy on her other knee after she had had x rays. She has told him no, not at this point, and I don't blame her, she is beginning to take control. To be honest she has had so many and it doesn't seem to have helped at all, and in fact scar tissue builds up after each op.

We are taking DGS to the Bank tomorrow to change his account over to just his name. We have saved for all 3 DGC since they were about 2, and then the account is given to them when they are 18, so 2 down and 1 to go.

FTM I hope everyone is feeling better, I think it was almost inevitable that you would have it as well. How are the babies and Annie? Have you been able to see them yet or are you waiting until the weekend.

SM I imagine you must be so pleased your bathroom is finished, and looking quite posh I am sure.

Hoglet, that sounds rather exciting being a Moderator, albeit on another site. What is the weather like over in NZ, is it mixed?

AOT how are you? Have you been to the clinic about your falls yet? I hope you feel a little better now that the slightly warmer weather is here. I do love how the days are drawing out and it isn't dark here until about 8.30, roll on summer

Lyn I expect you and He Who Knows are busy in the garden and on the allotment now, things do seem to be growing at a pace at the moment. I am glad Nell was alright about dear little Olaf. You did everything you could for him but you couldn't see him in pain, could you? Our pets do take part of our hearts when they leave us.

Hello to everyone else, hope you are all well and Kate hope the chickens will have a few more feathers soon.

Have a good weekend

Much love

Candlelightx
  • Hi CANDLELIGHT yes, it's the beginning of the growing season and we're pottering, the polytunnel has climbing french beans, peas, lettuces , beetroot, a cucumber and a courgette plant all being grown on and still has parsley and lots of kale to use from last year too. I'm trying to be inventive with leeks at the moment as we've got lots left standing in the garden beds that will go up to seed soon if I don't use them up. Luckily we like them, but I'm not sure for how much longer!!! The garden is beginning to come to life too, the apple trees and the damson and fig are beginning to put out leaves, the redcurrants are covered in tiny flowers and the loganberries and blacklerries are leafing up as are the raspberries and strawberry plants are putting new little leaves in their centres. All looks good but needs maintenance. You can't see the upstairs windowsills for pots of seedlings too, love this time of year and all the different greens, nature is amazing!

FTM hope you and the family are now recovered from your bug and that Annie and the twins are thriving. Hope you get to see them very soon if you haven't sone so already. Hope everyone else is fine too, I'm off to bed in the not too distant future, slept very badly last night, it was very warm and I kept waking up hot and bothered so I'm hoping for better tonight, it's decidedly cooler and I've put on my 2 and a half tog duvet which should be more comfortable. Catch you all tomorrow, Lyn xxx.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Lyn You can make a lasagne with layers of leeks instead of lasagne sheets. It's delicious, I would love one but DS does not like leeks so I can't be bothered just for me. Just follow any recipe for lasagne but substitute leeks.
    I put a layer of thinly sliced potatoes on the top, before putting the last layer of white sauce on.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,952 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I make lasagne with a layer of courgette, a layer of aubergine and a layer of carrot - all very thinly sliced lengthways with a veg peeler. Layer the mince mixture and the White sauce in between as per usual and the cheese on top.

It holds together really well and tastes yum. Not course you could do only one or two of those veg, but I like the three.

:D
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Thanks NURSEMAGGIE that's a really good idea. I'm talking 4 rows of them here though!!! I made a lovely pasta for supper a few days ago, I sweated 2 leeks and an onion in some olive oil until they were soft and unctuous and added in some chestnut mushroom slices until they were cooked. Then in went 2 tablespoons of leftover soured cream and half a pack of soft garlic and herb cheese and a glug of white cooking wine. That with a dusting of grated cheddar was very nice indeed. I think I'm going to make leek and potato soup for lunches for the next few days but this year I'll listen when He Who Knows says 'How many rows?' entirely my idea to grow so many. I know what will happen though, we'll run out and I'll be saying 'why didn't we put more in?'.
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi everyone,

Sorry I am still here, just kind of flat out. Last week we had a burst of Antartic winds and it was freezing - we dug out the electric blanket, winter duvet and extra blankets, and now we are having above average temperatures for the time of year. Changeable doesn't even cut it!

I was very pleased with myself at the weekend as I went in search of mattress protectors and a homeware shop had one brand, any size, at $18 (9 pounds) so I got one for the spare double bed and one for our king size. I also got a desk lamp reduced to $10 (5 pounds) and a pretty box, that I'll use as a work in progress basket in the office, for the same price.

The house search hasn't really taken off - we just seem to be too busy, sounds so pathetic doesn't it. We are still keeping our eyes on what's online tho.

Candlelight, yes the moderating thing is quite fun. It's a happy little group (actually it's quite large, over 2000 members) but I hadn't realised how much work it takes to keep it running smoothly and happily. There are other moderators too and the work they put in puts me in the sahde so I try to pull my weight as much as I can.

The cats continue on, Alfie has got fat, no 2 ways about it, and he needs to go the vets for his booster jabs. We do give him treats, but it's not helped by next door feeding their cats outside so he goes round and polishes off what's left.... he is a monster. We had a thunderstorm on saturday morning (poor DH got drenched refereeing rugby!) and the boys came and hunkered down in the study with me, they weren't happy at all, poor things.

Well I tihnk that's it from us, msut dash,

love to you all,

Hoglet x
  • Hi everyone,

Lovely day here, we have been to see DD who is fine.

Not a lot happening at Candlelight Towers at the moment. Half of the back garden was strimmed yesterday by Himself and I dead headed a few things, and noticed we have our first poppy head ready to burst out of it's bud. The garden looks so pretty at the moment, masses of bluebells, the forsythia is beginning to go over, but the lily of the valley is coming into bud and the camelia looks gorgeous. Hoping to finish the lawns tomorrow, Himself says he hasn't got "much get up and go" at the moment.

Lyn I hope you have had a lovely time with the Zera child

FTM I hope Annie and the babies are doing well, and that you are all quite recovered from the tummy bug

Hoglet you seem to be so busy and I am pleased the cats are OK. Flora is a bit fat around the tummy as well, I have tried to cut down on the food she has, but she seems to want little but often. I suppose it doesn't help that she is a house cat, but I dare not let her out because our road is so busy.

SM I hope you are OK, try not to work too hard.

Have a good day all and see you at the weekend

Much love

Candlelightx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills