PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi CANDLELIGHT I heard from DD1 and He Who Knows at lunchtime just as they were driving back from the Husky Sledging and what a lovely morning they had!!! First they were on the chariot with one dog pulling, then 2 and finally 3 and having a whale of a time making like Inuits and zooming round the field at speed, they loved it. Then back to base for bacon sandwiches and coffee for lunch cooked over an open fire and a cuddles session with 2 nine week old puppies who will join the teams when they are big enough. DD and OH were the first people they'd met other than the owners, to say my two were smitten is putting it mildly. DD is going back for more training and wants to do proper Husky Sledging in the winter on snow. She's a real outdoors type, I blame myself for ever letting her join the Brownies, down hill ( and up mountains) all the way from there!!!

Well done you on all the preserving, I love it and seeing all the jars lined up in the storeroom makes me have a real sense of 'gathered in for the winter'. It is nice too to be able to share it out at christmas. I do with all the neighbours here and the girls come home and go raiding if they want to, lovely!

All the growing and sorting and preserving and freezing has become so much part of life that we'd both be lost without it now, and it gives us a real purpose in life now we're retired, stops us ever being bored and feeds us a good diet at not much cost other than our time, can only be to the good eh? Lyn xxx.
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    LYN it sounds as though DD and He Who Knows have had a wonderful time this morning, and I would think they are both in love with the puppies. Little did you know when you sent her off, all clean and shiney, to Brownies that it would lead to her being so adventurous. She sounds as though she really enjoys her life.

I am really pleased with all the preserving I have done, for very little expense really. Thank you so much for all your advice and help.

Much love
    Candlelightx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 August 2014 at 3:10PM
    Options
    Bless you, you're so very welcome, Lyn xxx.

Just heard from He Who Knows who's taking a break from sawing up logs for DDs woodburner and she is in the kitchen making 3 types of chutney this afternoon, such diverse lives we all lead?
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    LYN obviously takes after her lovely Mum

Candlelightx
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Candlelight - yes we are all well, bless you for asking. We had a taste of summer on Sunday when the temperature must have been around 20 degrees and it was possible to sit in the garden with a book and a cup of tea with no jumper required. Back to rain for the next 3 days tho!

MLW - I love preserving too. I get a great sense of satisfaction from turning a glut into useful things, we have a lot of chutney left from last summer - it's a bit runny but very tasty. We are overwhelmed by lemon curd at the moment too. Very yummy!

I have signed up for a course which I'm hoping will lead to some extra part time work - the sort that can be done from home in the evenings and weekends. I'm sure I will be much busier but it's something that I would love to turn into full time work so I am testing the water before giving up the day job. Fingers crossed!

Cats are more or less behaving themselves although we have acquired a phantom indoor puddle-maker. We think it's fluffy tabby from across the way (the one we think gave Alf his abscess) so it could be a microchip cat door to stop that. This weekend Alfie gifted us half a rice cake he'd half-inched from someone's kitchen. That boy!

Not a lot of news from us... We are saving our energy (and money) for our trip to watch the All Blacks v Australia match this coming Saturday. Hopefully it'll be a more enjoyable match than last week's.

Take care everyone

Hoglet x
  • scottishminnie
    Options
    I'm very interested in all this talk of preserving. I think I may have to do some unplanned chutney making. I have literally hundreds of tomatoes in my greenhouse and they are the most beautiful shiny green but they simply won't ripen. I'm at a loss to know where I'm going wrong but I'm getting to the stage of thinking I need to find another use for them as I don't want to waste any.

We've had quite a lot of apples falling from the trees over the weekend due to the shocking winds so it's apple crumble, apple tart, eves pudding etc etc in this house (and my mothers and my brother in law's!)

I need some input from you all - I have lots of what I call flat (square sliced) sausage in my freezer. I usually make stovies with it however was wondering if I could defrost it and "reshape" the sausage meat to make a sort of sausage plait, rolling it up in puff pastry. What could I add to the meat to bulk it out a bit and make it a bit more interesting? Windfall apples and green tomatoes came to mind!

I'm looking out of the kitchen window and the neighbouring farm have been harvesting wholecrop today. They are close to finishing however its now pitch black and all I can see is a semi circle of lights on top of the chopping machine. It's bizarre seeing it in the dark, looks like the aliens have landed :) I also can't believe how quickly it is becoming dark in the evenings. I'm going to have to start off my list of "autumn" chores.
    Hubby has a huge workshop so I'm hoping I can get in there during winter evenings and tackle some small things which need painted and sanding and refinishing the garden furniture.
    I suggested buying him a whiteboard for his workshop so he could have a list of jobs on it - he was less than enthusiastic. He doesn't share my obsession of lists and plans for everything!

I had a spot of doggy sitting yesterday for my mothers two terriers. Took them for a walk in one of the huge silage fields behind the farm. All was going well until they spied a cat. The cat was mid way between a tree and a telegraph pole. Sadly it chose to run to the pole and scaled it at top speed followed by 2 yapping terriers clawing at the bottom. Unfortunately the pole was fairly smooth and I was horrified to see the cat slowly sliding back down despite desperate efforts to climb up again. The dogs were so close to getting it when I got there and somehow I ended up in a heap with them climbing over me and the cat hissing somewhere overhead. Thankfully it managed to escaped relatively unharmed. There was a little bit of fur floating around mid air but it could have been so much worse. The walk was brought to a swift conclusion after that and we retreated back to the safety of the garden to play with their frisbees and balls.

I'm heading south on business tomorrow so off to check the weather forecast and plan what to wear. There is quite often a wide difference in temperature and I always worry about looking like I've arrived from the frozen north - even if I have!

Speak soon.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi SM I make a sausage plait with sausagemeat, a chopped onion, a chopped apple nd a couple of tablespoons of brown/BBQ sauce all mixed very well together (I use my hands and squish it all together in a bowl) then cooked in puff pastry. It's one of the familys favourites and nice hot or cold.
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi SM!

I remember my mum making green tomato chutney from the non-ripeners every year, I think it was a Delia recipe if my memory serves me correctly. Somewhere I've come across a green tomato ketchup receipe, might have been a Hugh F-W but couldn't guarantee it. I flung a load of green ones into my chutney this year but it was a mishmash with red and yellow ones too.

I'd dsay green tomato chutney and sausage plait would go well together :-)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I make green tomato ketchup as well as green tomato chutney. Recipes available if any of you would like to have a play?
  • jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    I made tomato and onion relish..wow now that smelt amazing all day..

How did you make your relish please ftm?
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport