Update! Santander First Home Saver Account: 5% on up to 50k savings (up to 35 only)

Comments

• adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Now that it's 3%, I shall be using my full isa allowance as my account is currently 3.5% and need to withdraw. It is not online so do I just go in with some ID and ask to withdraw a cheque? Do I need anything else? Also, as the interest is annual, will i face a penalty as it is due in Jan and looking to withdraw today.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Now that it's 3%, I shall be using my full isa allowance as my account is currently 3.5% and need to withdraw. It is not online so do I just go in with some ID and ask to withdraw a cheque? Do I need anything else? Also, as the interest is annual, will i face a penalty as it is due in Jan and looking to withdraw today.

I would take a letter/statement from Santander - they sometimes get funny about people having 'proof of account ownership', even if they have ID that clearly shows who they are.

No penalty for withdrawing early.

They may be able to make a faster payment directly to your ISA, save dealing with a cheque.
  • I called the other day and when I told them I wanted to discuss the Home Saver they transferred me to someone who could manage that account.

After asking various questions I was told that yes, despite not receiving any letter about the change, the account had changed to 3%, as of the the date mentioned here. No conditions were mentioned for this despite the above mentioned.

When I asked about it being accessible online. They attempted to see if it was possible to add it online now, which it wasn't. I was then told that;

On the 30th November 2012. The 3% would end and it would change to a normal saving account with a rate of 0.x% At this point by no later than 5pm the account would then be accessible online automatically, and if it wasn't to call back.
  • Eponym
    Eponym Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I asked about it being accessible online. They attempted to see if it was possible to add it online now, which it wasn't. I was then told that;

On the 30th November 2012. The 3% would end and it would change to a normal saving account with a rate of 0.x% At this point by no later than 5pm the account would then be accessible online automatically, and if it wasn't to call back.

They have to give 30 days notice of changes to T&Cs I believe so they would have had to tell us already if that were the case.
  • fp04
    fp04 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hello Team FHS,

Just to add my voice to the chorus of 'not-online', I called up to try and add it to my online accounts, but it's not possible. Ho hum.
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Eponym wrote: »
    They have to give 30 days notice of changes to T&Cs I believe so they would have had to tell us already if that were the case.

Anyone know if this is true? Is it going down to <1%?? If so, I'll be whipping out my cash ASAP!
  • Well I never received a letter explaining the changes to this account either.
    I went to my local Santander a few days ago to ask about the account and this is what I have been told.
    • The account is no longer available to new customers
    • The interest rate is currently less than 0.1%
    • Partial withdrawals are not allowed. If i want to take any money out then I need to close the account
    My personnal feelings are that the staff dont know because the company is not giving them access to proper information. The staff member I spoke to was pleasant and quite helpful, he managed to print off details of my account balance and my personnal details from there system, but then couldnt actually find any info about this account. He searched for a good 10 mins whilst I was stood waiting.
    I can't make a reasonable savings decision because I have received no letter, and I do not believe what I have been told in store.
    There is too much misinformation being banded about.
  • [/LIST]My personnal feelings are that the staff dont know because the company is not giving them access to proper information. The staff member I spoke to was pleasant and quite helpful, he managed to print off details of my account balance and my personnal details from there system, but then couldnt actually find any info about this account. He searched for a good 10 mins whilst I was stood waiting.
    I can't make a reasonable savings decision because I have received no letter, and I do not believe what I have been told in store.
    There is too much misinformation being banded about.
    It is a shame that the member of staff could not find the right information, but it's good that he tried. I think you can trust that the letter was correct, and the details of it are shown in this thread.
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't think it helps that there is a home saver special issue 1 and a home saver issue 1 !!!
  • Hi,

I want to transfer a lump sum back into this account by internet banking but the trouble is, since I cancelled the Standing order I can't find out the sort code and account number. I have found the earlier quote below and was wondering if someone who had the account still set up as a payee could confirm for me whether this is correct? (Thought this would be easier than asking Santander, who probably wouldn't have a clue with this account....)

Thanks
    CLONNEN wrote: »
    For paying the standing order from a non-Santander account use Sort Code 090000 Account No. 00050005 and use your Reference No (appears on your paperwork as account number). It consists of a letter of the alphabet followed by 8 digits followed by the first three letters of your surname. eg. If you are called John Smith you might have reference R12345678SMI

Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport