Santander bank student account 2012/2013: We want your feedback

Comments

• I enquired about the Santander student account at my local branch on behalf of my 18 year old son, about to start uni. I explained he already had a different santander account and asked if he would still get the £50 if he switched to the student account. Two members of staff agreed he would, but when he went along to open the account, he was told he didn't qualify because he already had a Santander account! After this, I made the same enquiry at another Santander branch and was again told that having an existing Santander account would not prevent this £50 bonus being paid. It seems very misleading to me.
  • My son went in to open a student account today. Was told that the £50 is no longer available (it is advertised on-line) and his account application was rejected by the computer! Head office later said that the offer WAS still on - the branch told my son that 'loads of people had been disappointed it had ended too!) Branch didnt know why his application was rejected - he has no debts and a number of savings accounts and a young persons account with another bank and suggested that he get an experian credit report!! They said they will contact him in a couple of days if they have successfully appealed on his behalf with the people who approve the accounts! If this is typical of their service I think we will forget the £50!
  • So far so good with Santander, I applied first with the Co-op 3 weeks later i had no reply so phoned and told them to close that account being in need of a student account and already being with Santander i decided to go into a branch and talk to an adviser to see if i could get my existing current account changed into a student one, the guy told me just to fill out a new application so that i get the £50 but he would make sure the account would be added to my existing ones therefore getting around the existing customer problem. I checked me accounts today and my student account is already set up after 3 days which is nice to see and gives me some comfort knowing that i have an account for uni now. All i'm waiting for now is the overdraft to be increased to it's full amount, I deposited the £500 yesterday so hoping that the overdraft will be increased very shortly but so far so good with Santander much better than the co-op in my experience.
  • Riog
    Riog Posts: 57 Forumite
    My daughter opened a student account application over 2 weeks ago, sent id
    after 7 days and still no answer. Does it normally take so long for approval and set up of these accounts ?
  • f3lix
    f3lix Posts: 955 Forumite
    My son went in to open a student account today. Was told that the £50 is no longer available (it is advertised on-line) and his account application was rejected by the computer! Head office later said that the offer WAS still on - the branch told my son that 'loads of people had been disappointed it had ended too!) Branch didnt know why his application was rejected - he has no debts and a number of savings accounts and a young persons account with another bank and suggested that he get an experian credit report!! They said they will contact him in a couple of days if they have successfully appealed on his behalf with the people who approve the accounts! If this is typical of their service I think we will forget the £50!
    My daughter was also rejected and awaiting appeal. No idea why.
    £50 offer was still available but will/would not be paid until December
    i tHink, therEfore I'vE goT a BLOODY heAdAche
  • Really disappointed I was already a Santander customer so thought it would be best to stick with them and get an extra £50. But because existing customers have to upgrade their accounts as oppose to open one we don't get the £50! Could of really done with the extra cash as a fresher, and I haven't noticed on the adverts new customers only so very disappointing. I've emailed Santander but not expecting much from the response.
  • Scotty2012
    Scotty2012 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 September 2012 at 11:58AM
    I have wasted a morning trying to open an student ac with Santander. After completing most of the online application i couldn't select the relevant year for opening my current account with another bank. For some reason Santander will only let you select up to 2007 ( I opened mine in 2010 and previous bank accounts have now been closed down) there appeared to be no way of getting round this so I phoned their customer helpline (which is actually a technical helpline that transfers you to customer services). The customer services guy was as helpful as he could be be he couldn't understand why I couldn't select the relevant date either. He suggested I visit my local branch which I did. The girl behind the counter said as long as I had my acceptance letter and it stated the length of my course there would be no problem. That 'no problem' lasted for about a minute until the next lady spoke to said I needed a UCAS number. I dont have one of these as I applied directly through the university. She wasn't happy about this and went off to make several phone calls. On her return she told me that because my course was a post graduate course I couldn't have a student ac whether i had an UCAS no or not. When I told her that's not what it said on their website she just shrugged her shoulders. This was my first contact with a Santander bank and I'm not impressed. They do offer a separate PG a/c but they didn't mention that in the branch - More fool them.
  • I have been trying to open a Student Account with Santander on behalf of my daughter and obtain the "automatic" £250 overdraft for weeks now. First, Santander took weeks to acknowledge receipt of her course confirmation and ID documents and then wanted copies of further identification documents. Account was opened then when she enquired about overdraft, she was told she had to go into branch to set this up as it is a "Student Account", although the Welcome Pack she received stated that the £250 overdraft was automatic and there is an allowance up to £1,500 when additional funds are paid in. I personally have my mortgage and loads of other accounts with Santander and am very angry about their blatant lies in the promotional material and have complained about this appalling customer service and my daughter has now asked to close the account. Annoying because she is off to uni on Saturday and I started the process weeks ago so the overdraft would be ready for when she went but this is now not going to happen.
  • flower24
    flower24 Posts: 1,719 Forumite
    I have also had a really bad experience with Santander. I already had a current account with them, and went into my local branch 3 weeks ago to change it to a student account. This was apparently done there and then and I was told my overdraft would increase once £500 had gone into my account. This happened and my overdraft didn't increase, my account hadn't even been changed to a student account.

This was done for me, and I was told again £500 would have to go into my account for the overdraft to increase. Again this didn't happen, and it took numerous phonecalls and a visit to my branch to be told apparently once £500 has been paid in to the account it triggers the increase to the overdraft, but can take up to 2 weeks. This was a week ago and still no change. If it hasn't occurred by the end of next week I will be opening a new student account and closing my Santander account.

Every single person I have spoken to about this has had a different answer, I'm not convinced they know their you know whats from their elbows!
  • Riog
    Riog Posts: 57 Forumite
    esgt1967 wrote: »
    I have been trying to open a Student Account with Santander on behalf of my daughter and obtain the "automatic" £250 overdraft for weeks now. First, Santander took weeks to acknowledge receipt of her course confirmation and ID documents and then wanted copies of further identification documents. Account was opened then when she enquired about overdraft, she was told she had to go into branch to set this up as it is a "Student Account", although the Welcome Pack she received stated that the £250 overdraft was automatic and there is an allowance up to £1,500 when additional funds are paid in. I personally have my mortgage and loads of other accounts with Santander and am very angry about their blatant lies in the promotional material and have complained about this appalling customer service and my daughter has now asked to close the account. Annoying because she is off to uni on Saturday and I started the process weeks ago so the overdraft would be ready for when she went but this is now not going to happen.

Three days in a row i have been told on the phone my daughters account would be opened the following day and still nothing.
    Its been 3 weeks since we applied and she is going to Uni next Wednesday with no bank account, shocking from Santander to say the least.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure