Glasses....anyone buy from Selectspecs or eyewearcentre?

Options

Comments

• mbrijun
    mbrijun Posts: 49 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 August 2010 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Dear moneysavers,

UPDATE:

The local Boots opticians discovered that the PD (pupillar distance) value is set incorrectly on the glasses received from SelectSpecs. I have faxed them a letter just now.
    =====================================================================================

I placed an order with SelectSpecs on July 31 and it arrived on August 9 - from Hong Kong! I was quite impressed by that. So delivery is not really an issue. Also they have a tool on their site which shows which stage the process is in.

I was ordering the glasses for my wife and she requires quite thick lenses as her prescription is -5. It does not seem that she will be able to use the glasses made because they make her dizzy in seconds. I will have to take them to my local optician for them to give a second opinion.

I hoping that SelectSpecs can make things right in this situation. I will let everyone know if this was a happy or a tearful ending.
  • joaniemerc
    joaniemerc Posts: 615 Forumite
    Options
    So I'm taking it that Select Specs is not in Margate, Kent as stated on their website:(

The website lists their Head Office address as:

SelectSpecs.com UK
    PO Box 102
    Margate
    Kent, UK
    CT9 1YU.

I'm just about to send my own frames off to have the lenses fitted - not sure what to do now.
  • punksluck
    punksluck Posts: 96 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2010 at 3:31PM
    Options
    ..I think the PO box says it all!

Edit: in case you're interested, someone's just posted a voucher code for reglazing glasses in the other forum: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2652413
  • mbrijun
    mbrijun Posts: 49 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    joaniemerc wrote: »
    So I'm taking it that Select Specs is not in Margate, Kent as stated on their website:(

The website lists their Head Office address as:

SelectSpecs.com UK
    PO Box 102
    Margate
    Kent, UK
    CT9 1YU.

I'm just about to send my own frames off to have the lenses fitted - not sure what to do now.

the worst that can happen is that they would send your frames to HK and you would have to wait for a few weeks. The fact that one of their labs is in Hong Kong is openly stated on their site.

Yesterday morning I sent them a fax to Margate and got a reply within 2 hours. They gave me a returns authorisation number and asked to send in the glasses for inspection as I suspect the PD value is incorrect.

From what I have seen so far these guys are trying to do a good job.

Pros:
    1) the order arrived within 8 days;
    2) an RMA request answered within 2 hours - not bad, but maybe due to the fact that I faxed them instead of emailing;
    3) they do provide their landline number - however it is burried in T&Cs;
    4) when emailing they do not hesitate to state their full name at the bottom - a good sign.

Cons:
    1) I ordered one of their budget frames. Frankly, it is not an example of fine engineering. Although it looks OK, but noisy plastic hinges and biggish bolts/nuts destroy the whole visual appeal. Perhaps it is best to stick to designer labels?
  • SelectSpecs_company_representative
    SelectSpecs_company_representative Posts: 159 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi guys,

Our head office is in Westgate on Sea, near Margate and we have 2 labs in Hong Kong for our budget ranges. All designer items and reglazed are glazed locally. We realise we only list a PO Box address at the moment as our head office address but we're in discussions to change this to our 'physical' address at the moment.

joaniemerc, when you place your order for a reglaze you will also be given our physical address if you want to send your item to us by a courier, we would then process and glaze your item locally.

punksluck, if an item goes missing in the postal system and the customer does not receive their order, we ask customers to contact us and we will dispatch a replacement. All paid for orders are always dispatched upon completion so we're not sure of the reasons behind why these customers are complaining on consumer forums.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

James
    SelectSpecs.com
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Select Specs. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • joaniemerc
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification, James.:beer:

I will post my frames off to you.
  • Firebird
    Firebird Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have ordered two pairs of prescription glasses on two separate occassions recently from Selectspecs and both orders arrived from Hong Kong within two weeks with no problems.
  • louisa220
    Options
    I have had nothign but trouble with Selectspecs.com. I think they are a bunch of con artists. My glasses took a month to arrive (even though they take payment instantly) and when I complained they replied once and ignored emails after that. Once I had finally received them they were not what I expected. I paid for them to be thinned and they were not thinned at all, the lenses were so thick it was unbelieveble! But there is no number to call so I emailed them and yet again they have ignored me! I am having to go through my credit card company and claim the money back that way. I would advise anyone against using them! They should be shut down!
  • midlands_jim
    Options
    I ordered two pairs of glasses from selectspecs and two weeks later I am still waiting...not looking good is it?
  • SelectSpecs_company_representative
    SelectSpecs_company_representative Posts: 159 Organisation Representative
    Options
    I ordered two pairs of glasses from selectspecs and two weeks later I am still waiting...not looking good is it?

Hi Jim, what was your order number, I can check this for you. If your order has shipped out already it should be with you shortly.

Kind regards,

James
    SelectSpecs.com
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Select Specs. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure