Mouth and Foot Painting Artists - beware!!

Comments

• pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    kermitfrog wrote: »
    obviously i wasn't being my usual cynical self.

;)
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    wighthelen wrote: »
    So has anyone any suggestion as to which real charity I could send my 'luck money' to?
    one that doesn't pay it's CEO or Chair over the odds for doing their job!!!
    CHECK THIS OUT
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Haven't got any for a few years now, probably because I always kept them and didn't send any money. :o
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • gnimia
    gnimia Posts: 199 Forumite
    fannyadams wrote: »
    one that doesn't pay it's CEO or Chair over the odds for doing their job!!!
    CHECK THIS OUT

Given that the data from this is about 10 years old (going by the named Chief Exec of the charity I work for, I'd suggest this isnt a great list to base a decsion on at all.

Its the Salary Survey for 2003!!! for gawds sake!
  • My mother-in-law has received a pack of the Foot and Mouth Painting Christmas cards, which may not seem unusual.

Except she went into a Care home in April of this year and we DID NOT do a change of address so where did they get it?

After speaking to them on the telephone, I was told She must have provided a change of address, and they had been sending them since 1999

My mother-in-law went into a home because she is suffering from Dementia, with a memory which is virtually none existent, how did they get her address?
  • My mother-in-law has received a pack of the Foot and Mouth Painting Christmas cards, which may not seem unusual.

Except she went into a Care home in April of this year and we DID NOT do a change of address so where did they get it?

After speaking to them on the telephone, I was told She must have provided a change of address, and they had been sending them since 1999

My mother-in-law went into a home because she is suffering from Dementia, with a memory which is virtually none existent, how did they get her address?

Maybe from an out-of-date electoral register???

However, I have received the foot and mouth artists cards and begging letters several times in the past. I treat them the same way as any unsolicited goods. Just keep them and never send money.

I have a personal rule NEVER to donate to any charity that sends me unsolicited begging letters with (or without) pens, coasters, cards, diaries etc etc.
    If they can waste donated money on sending this stuff out then I consider they have more than enough money to spend on their charitable beneficiaries already.

I would also NEVER donate to any charity that uses commercial chuggers or cold-call me on the phone or knock on my door.

If everyone did likewise it would end these practices.

I do donate to charity but I do choose which ones I feel will make best use of my hard-earned money and ones to which I have an "emotional" link.
    :A Goddess :A
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    There was a lady near Brighton who did some of these paintings. She was a nasty piece of work, ungrateful for all the help she got and always complaining in the hope of getting compensation.
    We helped a lot of people in the past and this one was the exception that proved the rule that they were all very nice and grateful for any help we could give them.
  • gnimia wrote: »
    Given that the data from this is about 10 years old (going by the named Chief Exec of the charity I work for, I'd suggest this isnt a great list to base a decsion on at all.

Its the Salary Survey for 2003!!! for gawds sake!
    Perhaps - but since the Intelligent Giving website seems to have gone, where else do we look?

Trawl through charity accounts at the Charity Commission website?

Try and get the information from the charities themselves? They're not always willing to release that information...
  • ruready
    ruready Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well that was fortuitous. I was just going to send them a cheque for the cards and a book they were offering, because although I didn't think they were a charity (I think their letter did make that clear) I did think they were a group of artists selling their own work.
    The impression I get from this thread is that it's more a business, and that the actual artists don't get a fair whack of the price?
    I'll choose a charity I love to send my money to, I think.
  • Buick
    Buick Posts: 500 Forumite
    I just googled mouth and foot painters and this thread came up!

I was going to write to the MFPA (mouth and foot painting artists) and ask for some cards but having read this I'm not so sure. Shame, because I had thought of it as a good organisation and I've always admired the artwork of the artists.

I rang them today to make enquiries about the cards on their website but no-one answered. Hopefully they're not going to start calling my home number now :eek:

Note to self: ALWAYS withhold your phone number unless it's friends/family!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure