The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

HB and inheritance

2»

Comments

• Its interesting you say that all income and capital are taken into account at the time of ther claim because as a self employed family, the council asked us for accounts for the financial year up to March 2012. Why do they look at this period when its irrelevant?

I think I could show that in April we had no intention of claiming HB, we moved to a bigger house and have already paid over £12k in rent (2 x £6300). There is no way I would have moved house if I thought I would now be in this position but are they going to believe me? They must get loads of applications from people who are out to beat the system.

We bought a new van and paid for lots of training courses for my OH and so presumably this would show that we intended to support ourselves?

We havent transferred the money to kids accounts or anything like that but we have used some to top up wages because of the reduced hours since OH accident. How will they calculate this?

I know this situation looks bad but we have tried to better our lives and our kids and didnt forsee this happening and to be honest I find the whole thing really stressful.

Thank you to everyone who has given advice so far, its really appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport