Access NI .... Confused :-S

Hi all,

I am currently temping for a short while. My recruitment agency (at the request of the client) is getting me Access NI cleared. So Im thinking that once this post is finished, I now apply for those jobs that are advertised “Access NI Clearance needed” (which there seem to be a lot of!) But as the agency has applied and not me as an individual, so I don’t think I’ll get any confirming documents? Has any other one had experience in this?

Also - Am I getting confused with the other another security clearance scheme in NI that only employers can apply for, (the name’s escaped me!)

Thanks for any help!! :-)

Comments

• jjd
    jjd Posts: 216 Forumite
    Not sure if things have changed but approx 3 years ago I applied for a few jobs, each job required an individual access NI application. I now have employment with two different places, and I have separate access NI clearance forms for each position.
    I had asked at the time if I could use the same form but was told no and Access NI told me that they had to do a separate check each time.... even if they were two weeks apart. It seems like a bit of excessive paperwork and maybe they have sorted themselves out by now!
    I would give them a ring, although they were unable to assist with my request they were reasonably helpful on the phone.
  • Rach39
    Rach39 Posts: 827 Forumite
    But if clearance is specific to each job why do adverts for posts state "Access NI Clearance required"? How can you possibly have it when applying if it's specific to the job?
    Life's a box of beads - rainbow coloured and full of surprises!:D
  • I think that means any appointment will only be made final subject to a satisfactory Access NI clearance, not that you need one to apply. :)
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think that means any appointment will only be made final subject to a satisfactory Access NI clearance, not that you need one to apply. :)

I wish recruitment agencies would take note! I have been advised by some of them that I was not eligible to apply for jobs they were recruiting for unless I had a current AccessNI clearance at the time of application. It costs £30 (or so) - about half a week's JSA, and there was no guarantee of even getting picked for an interview.

There is a lot of confusion about this subject though. I know that when your certificate is sent to your employer you also get a duplicate. Of course these certificates are out of date the day after they are printed.

The thing about them being job specific is true, unless there is some sort of generic all encompassing one available which I've never heard of before.
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have an Access NI cert and as far as I'm aware its not job specific:o

I needed it because I work with children in the Health service. All processed and paid for by NHS thankfully, I just had to fill in all my info and our HR dept. did the rest.
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • You'll find it only covers you for your current contract. If you moved to a different trust, even to do the exact same job, you would need a new one.

At least that's how it's been explained to me. Ridiculous duplication of time and cost.
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You'll find it only covers you for your current contract. If you moved to a different trust, even to do the exact same job, you would need a new one.

At least that's how it's been explained to me. Ridiculous duplication of time and cost.

Ahhh OK, thanks for that, no intention of moving so shouldn't affect me. You really wonder why it's called access NI when it only covers you in your current job :o As you say it is keeping someone in a pointless job.
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • Lol - This has to be one of the most stupid ways to waste money ever!!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I work part time in a school, I "volunteer" for activities in my son's school, I am also an after school registered childminder and I volunteer at a church youth organisation.

I have 4 seperate little certificates filed away for each job!!! All at £30 odd a time - thankfully not paid by me but each of the organisations I work / volunteer with. My childminding one is paid by Social Services.

No sign of it changing anytime soon - has been talked about for years but the goal posts keep getting moved!!!!
  • Ohhh ok. So access itsnt something you can carry over, agree this is such a waste of time and money duplicating the searches over and over again.

Think I was getting it confused with "security clearance to CTC level"
    which is another thing which lasts x years regardless of job (and that only employers can request) Darn! that would of been valuable to get.

Thanks!!
  • Lol - This has to be one of the most stupid ways to waste money ever!!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I work part time in a school, I "volunteer" for activities in my son's school, I am also an after school registered childminder and I volunteer at a church youth organisation.

I have 4 seperate little certificates filed away for each job!!! All at £30 odd a time - thankfully not paid by me but each of the organisations I work / volunteer with. My childminding one is paid by Social Services.

No sign of it changing anytime soon - has been talked about for years but the goal posts keep getting moved!!!!

An enhanced certificate will only have information up until the day it was printed, therefore any crime you commit afterwards will not be on said certificate. Any future employer will obviously want an up to date certificate, the last thing we want is for a previously unconvicted sex offender who has recently been convicted, using an old disclosure to get a job. The VBS scheme was meant to sort a lot of this out with up to date info on each applicant, but things have been scaled back.

Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport