SQA Exam results out today, but what do they mean ?

Standard grade
english...what constitutes a pass ?

Comments

• The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Technically, anything above a 7 is a 'pass', but really most employers and universities will be looking for English and maths at grade 3 or better.
  • scottishf
    scottishf Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Thanks......so what are the grades percentage wise then.....i'm taking that a 6 can't be that high a percent...yet it's a pass ?
  • scottishf wrote: »
    Thanks......so what are the grades percentage wise then.....i'm taking that a 6 can't be that high a percent...yet it's a pass ?

There are different level of paper that are sat:

Credit: if you pass this paper you get a 1 or 2 (for people who are better academically)

General: if you pass this paper you get a 3 or 4

Foundation: if you pass this paper you get a 5 or 6 (but this level really is very basic) so a 6 probably means getting over around 50% in this paper but failing the General.

At least that is how it used to work.
  • The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    scottishf wrote: »

Yeah, as above really, unless they have changed it. It's been a few years since I sat a SG paper.

A 5 is the highest grade available to those who sit the Foundation paper, but fail the General. A 6 would be somewhere between 50 and 70% I think.
  • marko2002
    marko2002 Posts: 135 Forumite
    This really is as clear as mud for my wife and I, daughter has her results but none of us are able to determine whether she's actually passed, failed, or whatever it is they call it these days, probably credit or something. What the hell was wrong with the "pass" "fail" method, A B C D, etc - my god, talk about throwing a spanner in the works with these results - if anyone can help point us in the right direction for a guide on "Grades", "SCQF Levels" and "SCQF Credit Points" I'd be most grateful - tried the SQA site but it's probably easier to get a quantum physics degree than navigate that load of nonsense!

Cheers in advance :)
    Marko
  • ajwolf
    ajwolf Posts: 22 Forumite
    I wouldn't worry about SCQF levels/points etc. I've completed Standard Grades, Highers, Advanced Highers and I'm now at university and no one has ever asked about these.

The most important thing is the grade. I assume your daughter got her standard grade results today?

In that case the above advice is correct. She should have a number next to each subject ranging from 1 to 7. 1 is the highest, 6 is the lowest (1-6 is a pass) and 7 is a fail. Grades 1 & 2 are Credit level, 3 & 4 General level and 5 & 6 Foundation level.

Your daughter should have sat papers at two different levels for each subject either Credit and General or Foundation and General. Basically you're entered into two levels so if you fail the higher level you hopefully have a safety net and might have passed at the lower level. If you fail both levels you get a 7.

I've had a look at my certificates and I realise there is a lot of stuff on it which you don't really need right now (e.g. SCQF stuff). You really only need to be looking at the 'Grade' column to determine how well she did.

If that hasn't helped I'm happy to answer further questions.
  • What exams did your daughter sit?
    Assuming this is the first set..

The important bit is the actual results for English, Maths etc.
    She might have sat Standard Grades (results will be numbers: 1,2,3,4 etc with 1 being the best. Or Intermediates which are graded A B C.

The stuff that is confusing you is probably to do with modules from her courses and core skills - this is not of much interest to most employers or anyone usually. (saying that it has been a while since I sat these sort of exams so things may have changed)

Perhaps she should talk to one of her teachers if still confused.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure