PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

refreezing chicken

Options
Hi
Today I defrosted raw chicken joints and made a casserole. It was lovely. Theres half left and I would like to freeze it for another day. Is it ok to refreeze this chicken?

I'm sure the answer is yes, but my other half tells me you shouldnt refreeze a chicken!

Also how should i warm it up next time round? I don't like using the microwave.

thanks.

ps. just to add a money saving element to this post, I bought the chicken and used the breasts for another dish and froze the rest of it for a casserole. I find this more economic than buying those pack of 2 chicken breasts, which seem really expensive compared to buying a whole chicken.
No links in signatures by site rules - Forum Team 2

Comments

• mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can't refreeze raw chicken but once it has been cooked you can freeze it again. You just have to make sure it is red hot when you reheat it. :)
    Mink
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    is that the same with all meats, so long as its cooked you casn refreeze it?
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it is. You should cool the cooked meat down as quickly as possible ( ie dont leave it in a warm oven ). Freeze as soon as it is cool enough to go into the freezer and make sure it is thoroughly reheated through when you want to serve it .
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you actuall can re freeze raw meat !!!!

take a look here

near the bottom of the page

http://www.nbc4.com/answerstoaskliz2002/1789275/detail.html

Old myth: you can't re-freeze meat after it has been thawed. The truth: If it has been thawed in the ice box (refrigerator) and has NEVER reached a temperature ABOVE 40°F you can re-freeze it.

from...http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Cooking/Meats/meats.htm

and
    http://www.dalesnet.co.uk/cooking.htm

But as for re-freezing raw chicken I wouldnt risk it as the above sites except the last one are american and they dont have salmonella over their in their chickens

;D
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks for that cathy, thats a great link. spent ages flickin thru it.
  • FieryBlondeScot
    Options
    i wondered about this too. i was in my local asda the other day and they were marking down their fresh meat. i bough a fresh chicken with garlic butter or something on it reduced from £3 to £1 and the sell by date was for the following day. i stuck it straight in the freezer. mind u i was not sure if i should do this and what the rules are bout deforsting and cooking it as i am not a kitchen person at all.... ::)
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If it's a whole chicken, I think you need to defrost it first (seemingly, the slower, the better - in a fridge, say)before cooking but if it's chicken breasts, you can cook from frozen.
    If you want to defrost quickly........put whatever (either bagged or wrapped in cling film) into a bowl of cold (never warm or hot) water.
    I usually defrost the Christmas turkey by putting it unwrapped, into a huge tupperware style box and leaving it in the garage. Or, if it's a whopper, I use a coolbox.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That's an interesting site, Sheel. It's amazing what you can find on the net.
    In fact, I spent so long looking, I almost forgot to put our sunday chicken in the oven!
    Almost needed the microwave recipes ;D ;D
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yeah, thanks for the site, sheel. was really interesting, ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure