PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 August 2017 at 6:57PM
    I ran over the L1dl ..... no food in there!!! But they did have fish fingers, so currently making a 3 fish finger bread roll with salad cream :)

EDIT 7.55: Eating it now :)

Spotted on the board outside that they have some storage benches from 13 August ...so I am now going to check the size/weight limits and price.... I've got just to spot for one of those.... or more than one, depending on size/price and how they work.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,061
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This CFO is getting complicated. I seem to have a lot of food and not too much choice. I need to start looking at different ways and recipes to cook the things that I do have in the freezer without creating more leftovers to go in the freezer. I'm not sure this is going to be that easy :(.
    I know the feeling I think although families tend to fall back on the same recipes it magnifies when you are CFO especially when you batch cook. I've not worked out a solution yet:(
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    Caron How did you make your vegetable bake it sounds good.
    No recipe as such. I sliced onion, courgette, red pepper, mushrooms and runner beans popped them in a deepish dish (mines's about 20cm x 15cms x 5cms), sprinked with thyme, a crushed garlic glove and b;ack pepper, topped with a layer of thinly sliced unpeeled potatoes (I used 2 medium ones), mixed a tin of mushroom condensed soup with 1/2 a can of milk and poured over it. I baked it at 140C (fan) for just over an hour (That's what I had the pork at) and ten minutes before the end sprinkled some grated cheddar over the top. It's made enough for 4 side portions or 2 main meals and should freeze ok. I had a sneaky taste last night and it tasted good.:)

Good evening everyone,

Lunch (looked a bit of car crash but was really tasty) of LO cabbage (nuked for a minute), cherry toms, cooked beetroot and pork pie. :)I decided I did have room for crumble so had just pinged 1/2 of it (it was only a small one ) when my Dad popped by so he went home with the other half to have after his dinner. Dinner is belly pork, stuffing, LO gravy and some of the veggie bake.

I had unexpected visitors early evening of my friends with the labradoodle:D, she's been poorly as she had an infection after being spayed but is recovering well and was very pleased to see me so lots of lovely hugs :D. My sister & I are going to stay with them on Saturday night which will be lovely, they are making fish/seafood tapas and they are great cooks so we will be in for a treat. I'm making trout & smoked salmon pate as we all like that:). No doubt a few wines will be consumed which is probably just as well, because I can't manage the stairs I'll be on the bed-setttee in the living room so will no doubt be joined by pup (she's huge!!!) during the night;)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    I know the feeling I think although families tend to fall back on the same recipes it magnifies when you are CFO especially when you batch cook. I've not worked out a solution yet:(
    I'm not so sure that there is a solution :(. If there is most of us seem to have overlooked it :)
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    I'm not so sure that there is a solution :(. If there is most of us seem to have overlooked it :)

Marry well :)
    Somebody wealthy enough to take you out every day/night for meals ... and/or a celeb chef who brings lots of leftovers home for nuking.

:)
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    PN :rotfl: Genius idea I love it!!
  • Hollyharvey
    Forumite
    edited 7 August 2017 at 10:45PM
    Marry well :)
    Somebody wealthy enough to take you out every day/night for meals ... and/or a celeb chef who brings lots of leftovers home for nuking.

:)
    I did :) The first husband wasn't much use, he wasn't wealthy and eventually left me for a younger model, something he keeps doing and is now on wife number 4 :eek:

The second one is an architect and quite well off. We did eat out a couple of times a week because we were both working full time, in jobs where we left home at 6.30 to 7.00am and got back about 7.00pm. He always cooked Saturday unless we were entertaining and then I cooked. We used to have a take away delivered one day a week as well. Looking back, it's a shame that marriage didn't last :(. He was a good cook as well. We had three freezers as well :).
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Well I'm awake very early for some reason but am happily still in bed with a coffee, radio 4 and a book so not all bad.

No idea what lunch will be today as I'm living dangerously and waiting to see what I fancy at the time. Yesterday I ended up having peanut butter on crackers with sliced ripe banana on top and it was great :) It may become a fad for a few weeks. Tea is keema and naan bread.

I have added Lidl fish cakes to my shopping list after reading all about them on here and am already thinking that they would be nice with potatoes and a veg or beans but even better on a muffin with sliced tomatoes and salad cream :D I haven't had a fish cake in years, I did have a crab one in a restaurant about 2 years ago but that doesn't count.

I'm also fancying making Caronc's baked bean burgers for a change too so will try those in the next few days. Thank you for the veg bake recipe I've added it to my file.
  • Hollyharvey
    Forumite
    I'm on a freezer emptying quest, so for dinner tonight I've got a haddock fillet out and I'll have that with some new potatoes and steamed veg.

I'm also eating my way through a tuna mountain so lunch is a tuna mayo sandwich with some salady bits that I've found lurking in the fridge :)

I had some scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast this morning, and then a Greek yoghurt and raspberries mid morning because I had breakfast shortly after 5.00am so was hungry again. I wish I could sleep :(.
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    I'm on a freezer emptying quest.

In all honesty, don't under-estimate how hard it is to eat your way through it .... if you start now you might discover it takes until Xmas to actually get through it....

It goes down so slowly!

As I bought/ate fish fingers yesterday, of course I've just had fish fingers today. This time with chips/mushy peas.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,061
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good afternoon everyone,
    I had an unsteady start today the day :(so had to head back to bed, consequently I'm not long up and functioning. I was really ready for my lunch which was a pork & stuffing sandwich and cherries, a flat peach and an apricot. There is still a couple of portions of pork & some stuffing left so I'll freeze that later. Veggie bake later with either sausages or IKEA meatballs, I'll see what I fancy nearer the time:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure