Discharged :)

Options

Comments

• LEK
    LEK Posts: 83 Forumite
    edited 19 July 2017 at 11:22AM
    Options
    Just a quick update...

Wrote to all four of my previous creditors alerting them of my recent discharge, three of them have acknowledged & also stated that they will update their records and the relevant ones will also alter my original default dates to reflect on my original BR date, as well as settling or partially settling the accounts so pretty happy about that most importantly. I also posted out copies of my discharge certificate to all of them as well.

Moving forward I also decided to apply for a couple of credit building credit cards last week to try and get straight onto repairing my credit file further. Firstly, Vanquis referred me and said they would get in touch due to them having to carry out further security checks. Secondly, Capital One initially referred me for extra checks, but to my amazement then sent an approval email a few hours later complete with a starting credit limit of £200.

Vanquis rang two nights later after the initial application and spent a good half an hour on the phone answering a lot of questions, to which eventually led to them accepting me for a card as well with a starting limit of £250.

Not bad going at all really, though I've not heard nor had any postal correspondence from Vanquis since the follow up phone call the other night. Capital One have already sent me my PIN and set up my online account. Capital One's card is a lower interest rate so I may just stick with them moving forward and eventually cancel the Vanquis one if it's still going ahead.

Liam.
  • BobbyEwing
    BobbyEwing Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi
    Did both credit card companies ask for proof of discharge as you applied so close to your bankruptcy ending?
  • LEK
    Options
    BobbyEwing wrote: »
    Hi
    Did both credit card companies ask for proof of discharge as you applied so close to your bankruptcy ending?

Nope, neither of them asked for proof from me. I applied for both cards the following day after the discharge. I did a new ClearScore credit report just before applying for both of them and it already showed me as discharged so I imagine when both companies did the credit checks on me, they would see that I am discharged.

For further insight, I also did the "soft search" eligibility checker for both cards before applying to see what chances I had. Both of them said I would be approved if I applied.

Liam.
  • adyj73
    adyj73 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Well done Liam. Now you can just count down the next five years until the BR disappears off your credit file forever.
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You say accounts settled or partially settled? I thought debts were wiped in bankruptcy?? And they would be written off?
  • spruk
    spruk Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations on the discharge, I'm discharged in three weeks and can't help but count down the days.

All the best for the future.
  • LEK
    Options
    Have all your debts wiped off to then go back into debt a year later. Seems logical.

Perhaps you should look on the positive outlook of this rather than attempt to somewhat criticise me based on my financial past. At the end of the day you don't know anything about me, nor do I know anything about you... I like to think that it can stay that way. As already explained by another member on here and I shouldn't really have to spell out the obvious, I've merely only gone for a credit card in order to start repairing my credit file. Seems pretty logical to me I reckon ?? :think:
    spruk wrote: »
    Congratulations on the discharge, I'm discharged in three weeks and can't help but count down the days.

All the best for the future.

Thank you mate :) And all the best to you as well for when you are discharged as well, the last three weeks for you will hopefully fly by.

Liam.
  • jonesy1973
    jonesy1973 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Good for you mate and good luck for the future rebuilding your credit file and moving on. As for the negative bile being spouted by @potbellypig, he is either a troll or a "glass is half empty" kind of guy.
    :cool:Embrace The Chaos!:cool:
  • Potbellypig
    Potbellypig Posts: 775 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jonesy1973 wrote: »
    Good for you mate and good luck for the future rebuilding your credit file and moving on. As for the negative bile being spouted by @potbellypig, he is either a troll or a "glass is half empty" kind of guy.

I'd like to call it experienced. 18 months ago LEK was up to his eyeballs in debt he couldn't afford to pay back. That's all been cleared and now he would like to go back into debt under the guise of 'rebuilding his credit'.

Not everyone on the internet will share the same opinion as you. Doesn't mean that they are a troll just becuase you don't agree with them.
  • cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    Options
    But if LEK just puts monthly expenses on it and pays in full each month then he will have made a good decision.

I was near to being BR, some good fortune allowed me to not have to go BR. However my actions since that time have been to slowly rebuild my creditworthiness with one credit rebuild card. Since then I now have 2 high street credit cards - at the moment one with a small balance - less than £300 on a 0% balance transfer that should be paid well before the offer ends and one that is used for fuel each month and then paid in full. I have zero other debt, just satisfied defaults from when I was in trouble. I am now in the process of getting a mortgage with my wife with a high street lender.

My advice to LEK. Ditch Vanquis (if it arrives just cut up the card and send back with a note saying you have decided not to take them up on their offer after all) and just keep Capital One. Put no more than half the credit limit on it (or what you can afford to pay back each month if less), and make sure it is paid off in full each month. This will cost you nothing as you won't pay any interest. By putting no more than half of the credit limit on it, you're showing that you are not excessively using the credit.

Do NOT be tempted by any other form of debt at this time. It really isn't worth it.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure