Worth buying Fundsmith at this point?

Options

Comments

• enjoyyourshoes
    enjoyyourshoes Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    An anonymous web chat will not necessarily be considered 'best advice'.

Might be worth considering professional advice, MSE main site gives advice on how to find independent financial advice.

On here you will get polarised views which may not be of help !

Do your own investigations and balance any decision on your own risk profile and take the 'long view'.

No such thing as a quick win.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • rockingdane
    rockingdane Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks,
    Dane
  • stringer_bell
    Options
    I have an S&S ISA, SIPP and a general investment account, I hold 3 global funds as core of these

S&S ISA - Scottish Mortgage INV trust
    General - Lindsell Train Global Equity
    SIPP - Fundsmith Equity
  • rockingdane
    Options
    Are you happy with the returns so far?
    Dane
  • stringer_bell
    Options
    Are you happy with the returns so far?
    Dane

Yep, SMIT +14
    lindsell train global equity + 21

held them both for 6 months, and fundsmith is -1 after a few days
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just invested in one fund so far VLS 60 , started late in life but decided to diversify, got around 8K in VLS...am keen on fundsmith but unsure, so wanted some experts view on it.

You have a very small amount in a decent multi-asset fund. You dont really have enough to go into single sector funds. You just start breaking asset allocation which is the whole point of using a multi-asset fund like VLS. Plus the fundsmith equity fund is higher risk than VLS60. Effectively, you are introducing management decisions but the point of VLS is to reduce management decisions.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • rockingdane
    Options
    thank you,
    was keen to invest in my wife's name as well as she doesn't have a penny in S and S ISA...perhaps VLS 60 or maybe 40 is a good option. She is 40 but not a risk taker.
    Dane
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are a looking at lower down the risk scale then also look at the L&G multi-asset funds. They are more attractive at that end of the scale....IMO
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • trooper147
    Options
    Hi All...

I've been holding Fundsmith for a while and benefited as the fund has increased due to the drop in £ after the brexit vote. I'm kinda thinking that now may be a good time to swap funds and try to get a fund which may benefit as the £ (hopefully!) recovers.

Does anyone know how i can go about this?

My logic is that I've been investing in a UK based fund which invests in the US, hence have benefited from a drop in £. If i invest in a US based fund which invests in the UK, if the fund does OK over the next year and the £ recovers a bit, I may be good? I'm not sure if it's actually possible to invest in US funds anyway...?

thoughts anyone? :)

related info.
    there's a good article on the telegraph website if you google..... 'Questor fund tip: Fundsmith boosted 13pc by Brexit' (sorry, i can't post links)
  • buffman
    Options
    The solution is to switch into a (currency) hedged class of a GBP fund with a similar focus. The problem for me is finding such a fund. The Questor article mentions MFS Meridian Global Equity fund but I do not think that it can be put in an ISA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure