Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 9th Feb 17, 9:06 PM
    • 639Posts
    • 215Thanks
    virgo17
    Freeserve to close email service from May
    • 9th Feb 17, 9:06 PM
    Freeserve to close email service from May 9th Feb 17 at 9:06 PM
    Realise that this might only affect a small percentage but the old Freeserve email service is to close on 31st May. This includes freeserve, orange.net, orangehome.co.uk and wanadoo domains.

This service was very useful as it allowed any username before the @ symbol, allowing users to set up any address for any purpose and filter it on receipt.

eg. 123@me.freeserve.co.uk or 321@me.freeserve.co.uk or 231@me.freeserve.co.uk etc etc..

Details here:-

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/email/email-closure?intcam=ON_EE_E_Orange_email_closure_infomr email_textlink-2017-01-11
Page 2
    • greyfox
    • By greyfox 21st Feb 17, 10:11 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 2,363 Thanks
    greyfox
    Thanks. I had a nasty feeling that the auto reply would only work until May. I'll have to make sure that I tell my contacts in good time.

I'm actually keeping a pen & paper list of the websites as I work through them. They aren't all on my e-mail contacts list &, in any case, I don't keep the full list on webmail & prefer to keep it on my client (Windows Mail) a/c. I can see your method would work for people who do, though.
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 21st Feb 17, 11:38 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    emptybox
    The auto-reply will stop as soon as the service is withdrawn.

Best thing to do is turn on IMAP in the freeserve account, and pull everything into the new goggle account.

As you update each website with the new address you can search for the website in the emails and tag it as "changed" or something like that.

So as Gmail picks up emails from the old email account, you can quickly see what sites need to be updated or ignored.
    Originally posted by S0litaire
    As far as I'm aware Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve has never supported IMAP for it's email.
    That's been one of the annoyances, having to use POP3 for that address.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 22nd Feb 17, 12:39 AM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 2,042 Thanks
    S0litaire
    It does support IMAP. <-- nope D'oh!!

That's how I've been pulling emails from freeserve.account to my.gmail. <-- nope been getting it via pop3

Double check the settings <-- and get some sleep!!!

...i think.... <-- i didn't
    **EDIT**

D'oh should no try and think when it's nearly 2am!!

yup its pop3 only
    lol
    Last edited by S0litaire; 22-02-2017 at 8:52 AM.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 22nd Feb 17, 7:03 AM
    • 639 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    virgo17
    Got my email from Orange yesterday, advising that the service will close at the end of May.

They are recommending Gmail as an alternative and have even included a link to a tutorial they have written:-

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/email/email-closure?intcam=ON_EE_E_Orange_email_closure_infomr email_textlink-2017-01-11
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 24th Feb 17, 12:49 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    emptybox
    I've changed all my emails addresses now, although I still haven't had an email from EE informing me of the need to change.
    I'll monitor the Orange address just to check if I've missed anybody.

However a couple of places are still sending me emails on the old address, even after I've expunged it from my account.

One of those is my power supplier, which sent me an email about the forthcoming price rises which included personal info about my electricity usage.
    The old address must be lodged in their database even though I've checked that I can log in with the new address, and it's in my account info.

I suppose an old fashioned telephone call may be required to get them to change?
    • paulstar
    • By paulstar 25th Feb 17, 2:55 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    paulstar
    ... I still haven't had an email from EE informing me of the need to change.
    Originally posted by emptybox
    I've just had an email from EE to one of my addresses notifying the email closure (I have several Freeserve etc email addresses - the first was set up in 1998). Looks like they are phasing the sending of notifications. EE have confirmed (on the EE Community forum) that they will be emailing all Freeserve etc email addresses regardless of whether you're an EE customer.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 27th Feb 17, 9:44 PM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    Annie1960
    Interested to read this thread for nostalgic reasons. I had dial-up freeserve internet access from my first home computer (a Tiny that cost much more than computers cost today). I remember considering buying shares when they floated on the French stock market, but decided against it when I read their financial forecasts.

I then moved to ntl dial-up, until I got BT broadband in 2006. I still recall the dial-up sound.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 20th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    harz99
    I already have a gmail account to move my fsmail.net account to trouble is I don't find gmail anywhere near as useful as the old fsmail.net account.

Is there any other free email provider that offers a similar page layout to fsmail.net, where all your inbox emails, folders, contacts list, junk/draft/delete etc. can be seen at a glance on one page for easy access please?

Suggestions very gratefully received.
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 20th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    Can anyone get into their Orange email today? I've been trying all day - just get an "Oops. Sorry !!" message
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 20th Mar 17, 2:29 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    emptybox
    Can anyone get into their Orange email today? I've been trying all day - just get an "Oops. Sorry !!" message
    Originally posted by DonnySaver
    I've been having trouble for the last two days.
    My Android Mail app won't connect at all.
    I tried Thunderbird on a Linux box and it also has trouble fetching any Orange mail, although it has occasional success.

Perhaps they are already starting to shut the servers down?
    Or perhaps they've got so many people trying to migrate their messages to Gmail that it's stopping the system working properly?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 1,823 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    DoaM
    Or perhaps they've got so many people trying to migrate their messages to Gmail that it's stopping the system working properly?
    Originally posted by emptybox
    That seems like a reasonable possibility to me. They're unlikely to invest in infrastructure to help people with such activities, so the servers may well be struggling.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 20th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    RumRat
    I already have a gmail account to move my fsmail.net account to trouble is I don't find gmail anywhere near as useful as the old fsmail.net account.

Is there any other free email provider that offers a similar page layout to fsmail.net, where all your inbox emails, folders, contacts list, junk/draft/delete etc. can be seen at a glance on one page for easy access please?

Suggestions very gratefully received.
    Originally posted by harz99
    Try using an email client like 'Thunderbird' or 'em Client'.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 20th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Working again now! (17.43)
    • harz99
    • By harz99 20th Mar 17, 9:28 PM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    harz99
    Try using an email client like 'Thunderbird' or 'em Client'.
    Originally posted by RumRat
    Thanks, but wouldn't I still have to use gmail if I did that?

I'm really looking for something like like the current fsmail that allows me to create eady to access folders and is simple to use and see, which gmail isn't.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 20th Mar 17, 10:22 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 1,158 Thanks
    RumRat
    Thanks, but wouldn't I still have to use gmail if I did that?

I'm really looking for something like like the current fsmail that allows me to create eady to access folders and is simple to use and see, which gmail isn't.
    Originally posted by harz99
    Yes you would use gmail or whatever mail you wanted, but, the look and feel of your emails on the desktop would be customised to how you wanted it.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

1,741Users online

Martin's Twitter