Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 28th Feb 17, 7:13 PM
    • 227Posts
    • 1,693Thanks
    sstevo19
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - March 2017
    • 28th Feb 17, 7:13 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - March 2017 28th Feb 17 at 7:13 PM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to bingbon for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for March and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    Last edited by sstevo19; 28-02-2017 at 7:16 PM.
Page 11
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 20th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 29,462 Thanks
    dolly84
    My finish 5 by Spring list:

1. Soap & Glory Gloss Stick in Plum Jam
    2. Witch Concealer stick
    3. Benefit Dandelion Blush
    4. No7 Crème Touch Powder in Candlelight
    5. Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Rosegold

Not long to go with these items now, as soon as March 20th is here I will call them done. There is barely any powder left now and the blush is taking a lot of work to get enough on my brush.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    Today is the last day for this project. I still have a thin ring of the No7 Powder and it never seems to get any less. The Dandelion blush has product in all four corners and two of them are still quite thick. I was going to call it a day with both of them but I will carry on using them but start a new project to Finish 5 by Summer.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • pirateyqueen
    • By pirateyqueen 20th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    pirateyqueen
    1 UU, Lidl shaving foam. WMBA, did the job!
    No more goo hoarding!

2017 UU: 18 IN: 2 TA: 0 Total: 62/78 2016 UU: 53 IN: 17 TA: 0 Total: 36/72
    2015 UU: 74 IN: 43 TA: 3 Total: 32/64
    2014 UU: 114 IN: 67 TA: 7 Total: 38/92
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 20th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 29,462 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have an in

Alterna Bamboo Smooth Kendi Dry Oil Micromist
    - this is a slightly different version to the one I have been using as it comes in an aerosol not a pump but other than that it seems pretty much the same and you get a lot more for your money.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 20th Mar 17, 4:08 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 33,810 Thanks
    VALM
    Another UU
    22 15ml tube of Elemis PCMC HG. More in stash. Am taking one of these tubes away with me. Will probably use a L'Occitane Divine Cream sample until then.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 20th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 33,810 Thanks
    VALM
    Here's my Finish 5 by Spring

Benefit No Pressure eyeshadow thrown away. Laura Mercier Rose Gold Caviar Stick swapped in.

Smashbox Full Exposure pallette. Am really hoping to finish one of these by the end of this challenge.

Kat Von D eyeliner. Still going strong. Love this product. Am amazed at the amount of product in this deluxe size.

Benefit Dallas blush. It is a real effort to keep this in rotation as it feels like I am making no difference to the pannage whatosever.

Lush Lemony Flutter.

My result is still the same. I'm fed up of using the Smashbox and Dallas powders. The eyeshadow has a bigger pan in it but the Dallas powder is like the bunny that advertises batteries!!

The eyeliner is still ongoing which I'm surprised about as a couple of times it has felt like it's drying.

Will probably be including a couple of pencil eyeliners and a lip crayon in my next challenge.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • bingbon
    • By bingbon 20th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    bingbon
    Happy Birthday Houseplant! Hope you've had a lovely time!

Asset - I know I'm echoing others but just wanted to say: I know it's hard but it really doesn't do you any good to dwell on the money you've spent. It's gone. There's no way that's going to change. It's better to concentrate on what you can do with what you have. If the clutter aspect of it is getting you down, it might be better to cut your losses and GA what you can. If there is a womens' refuge near you, they are always grateful for unused toiletries down to toothpaste, sanitary towels and deodorant because these women leave their homes with literally nothing. My local one has a charity shop you can take stuff to which then passes on to the refuge but also collects because, obviously, they don't give out the address of the refuge.
    If it's the money side of it that is really bothering you then eBay and boot fairs are the way to go but you have to work out if it's worth your time and effort. I have eBayed some stuff but a lot of the time, I'm happier to just let it go somewhere it will be used - it gets it out of my house and off my mind.

Don't feel like you're alone in the way you feel though - clearly there are plenty of people around with similar habits! For example... me?!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2017. Jan stash: 490
    • bingbon
    • By bingbon 20th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    bingbon
    Couple of UUs:
    11. DW Home Teakwood Myrrh Candle WDBA if I can. This was a TKMaxx find though so it might not be available.
    12. L’Oreal Elvive Nourish and Shimmer Shampoo WMBA. It's not my favourite Elvive but I wouldn't rule out buying it again.

Also some INs. All haircare. Got the AB stuff cheap in Asda and the L'Oreal stuff in Savers for more than half what it sells for in Superdrug.
    7. Alberto Balsam Blends Volume Boost Conditioner
    8. Alberto Balsam Damage Repair Intensive Mask
    9-10. L’Oreal Pure Sleek Shampoo and Conditioner

Think I'm getting a bit paranoid about my hair - as I do from time to time. Seem to be losing a lot at the moment which could be seasonal but also I stopped taking my supplements (multivit with iron, B vits, vit D, selenium and evening primrose oil) about 6-8 weeks ago and now my skin is desert-dry, my lips are cracking and my hair is brittle and seems to be shedding more. I know that lots of people pooh-pooh supplements and I agree that some are a complete waste but if my skin, hair, nails etc getting worse ties in with not having taken my supplements, surely that proves they did something? Will get back into the habit of taking them again and see what happens.

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2017. Jan stash: 490
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 20th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One sample UU:

Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream sample WDB. I loved this. I will definitely buy a full size tube once I've got no hand creams left. Very nourishing and a nice smell too.
    • catherine/kate
    • By catherine/kate 20th Mar 17, 8:27 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    catherine/kate
    Ooh, forgot it was the end of 5 by Spring. I had some success and made progress in everything even if it wasn't finished:
    1. Sunsilk straightening balm
    2. L'occitane cherry blossom perfume - used about 1/3
    3. No 7 brown eyeshadow - major pan showing now
    4. Sanctuary spray oil - used 2/3
    5. Cherry handcream

I'm in for 5 by Summer and here's my list:
    1. Sanctuary spray oil (rollover)
    2. No 7 Beautifully Balanced cleanser
    3. Amargan hair oil
    4. Body Shop coconut body butter 200ml
    5. Garnier Intensive 7 day handcream

All are LHJs and stash lingerers that I've been making good progress on. It would be nice to look back in 3 months time and see them gone.
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 20th Mar 17, 11:05 PM
    • 5,886 Posts
    • 32,723 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Hello everyone!

Pff...sorry I've not been round much but things have been rather busy to put it mildly.

OUTs:

1 x Corsodyl Daily
    1 x Mitchum Advance Control deodorant stick

INs:

5 x Corsodyl Daily
    3 x Mitchum Advance Control deodorant stick

I hope you are all well.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: read 11/25, Bought .
    No More Buying DVDs: 38/25; In: 7
    NMB Toiletries GA/TA: 66; In: 78 GRADUATED!
    ~Proud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• VALM
    • By VALM 21st Mar 17, 4:36 AM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 33,810 Thanks
    VALM
    Hello everyone!

Pff...sorry I've not been round much but things have been rather busy to put it mildly.

OUTs:

1 x Corsodyl Daily
    1 x Mitchum Advance Control deodorant stick

INs:

5 x Corsodyl Daily
    3 x Mitchum Advance Control deodorant stick

I hope you are all well.
    Originally posted by InaPickle
    Nice to see you Pickle xx

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 21st Mar 17, 4:43 AM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 33,810 Thanks
    VALM
    5 By Summer
    1. Kat Von D Tattoo liner in Trooper. Once this has gone I'm going to also attempt to UU Urban Decay 24/7 eye pencil in Zero

2. Urban Decay eye pencil in Vice. Not sure I can UU two eyeliners but want to use this more.

3. The Body Shop Amazonian Lily perfume. I just don't reach for this and may use it as room spray.

4. NARS Rakugian lip crayon. Is stumpy now so want to UU to the point where I can't sharpen it anymore.

5. UD The OC blush from the Gwen Stefani palette. Is better suited as a bronzer on me. Have hit pan and want to UU completely.

What's the end date on this challenge?

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 21st Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 29,462 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have a uu

Samy Fat Hair 0 Calorie Thickening Spray
    - WMBA but I do prefer a cream thickening product. I have had this a long time and it is good to see it go in the recycling.

VALM - would it be best to finish the 5 by Summer challenge on June 21st? That way each challenge gets 3 full months.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 21st Mar 17, 10:57 AM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 29,462 Thanks
    dolly84
    Another uu

Philosophy Spiced Gingerbread Cookie Shower Gel, Shampoo & Bubble Bath 500ml
    - I used this for all 3 purposes and it worked well, more in the stash of this scent and a ton of others too, I need to work through them as they are taking up a lot of room.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 21st Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 33,810 Thanks
    VALM
    Another uu

Philosophy Spiced Gingerbread Cookie Shower Gel, Shampoo & Bubble Bath 500ml
    - I used this for all 3 purposes and it worked well, more in the stash of this scent and a ton of others too, I need to work through them as they are taking up a lot of room.
    Originally posted by dolly84

I've recently opened up the Philosophy Fresh Cream shower gel which I love. Don't actually own any other Philosophy ones other than this.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 21st Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    sstevo19
    I've been bad, I felt like crap after a bad day on Friday, so I have some INs to report:

Caudalie Gentle Cleansing Milk 100ml
    REN Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk 50ml
    REN Evercalm Anti-Redness Serum 10ml
    REN Evercalm Global Protection Day Cream 15ml

And these came with a free gift from Escentual, a DHC sample pack which contains:

DHC Deep Cleansing Oil sample
    DHC Face Wash Powder sample
    DHC Eye Bright sample
    DHC Velvet Skin Coat sample

I've also started using one of the cleansers in my stash, but it's left my skin feeling terrible, thank god I tested it on one part of my face. But I'm going to re-purpose it as either a hand wash or body wash. I don't want to waste it, and it's a lovely scent.
    • abbe89
    • By abbe89 21st Mar 17, 5:43 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 966 Thanks
    abbe89
    March is going a bit better for me in terms of using up!

UUs
    2 x Mitchum Deodorants - HG. I seem to have lots of half full cans, but I think I'm at the end of them now.
    2 x Sensodyne toothpastes - HG. 1 at mine and 1 at my partner's place.
    1 x Dentyl mouthwash - WDBA. There's a bit of a weird fascination with seeing all the stuff you're swilling away!
    1 x Shea Butter moisturiser - bought from a craft fair a while ago. Works really well on my stress eczema which flairs up every now and then. If I see them again, I'd probably buy some more!
    1 x Soap and Glory foot cream. WMBA. Smells nice, but doesn't make a real impact on my feet.
    1 x Body Shop Vitamin E face spray. WNBA. Not entirely sure what I bought this for, but I used it to freshen my skin. Didn't make any difference, so won't buy again.
    1 x Body Shop Frosted Apple shower gel. I love the smell of this, wish I'd picked up some more at Christmas. WDBA if I could find it!
    1 x Victoria's Secret body spray. I can't remember the scent name, but I like these for a quick spray in the mornings!

Throw Aways
    These have all been in my dressing table for ages and had gone a bit off!
    1 x Body Shop nail oil - smelt like mouldy flowers!
    1 x Body Shop rose body butter - smelt really really bad, I wouldn't have even put it on my feet!
    2 x Piz Buin suncreams. I've had these for maybe 3 years, and after a recent scare with a mole I need to be more careful so as they loose effectiveness over time I've binned them!
    1 x Lush soap - I'm not a fan of bar soaps, don't really know why I bought this. It was orange, but no idea what variety. Dried my skin out, so I've chucked it!
    1 x Nair facial hair remover - again it's been open for ages and had gone a bit clumpy so it's gone!

Also had a clear out of my make up. I don't have that much, I've never been a big make up hoarder, but still through away 6 items - all been hanging around for at least 5 years. Including a foundation which was as mismatched with my skin as it could be - I'm super pale and this looked almost David Dickinson when I tried it!!

8 Ins so far this month, but all essentials.
    1 x Herbal Essences S&C - the ones I have in my shower only have 2 washes left in them.
    1 x Mitchum Deodorant - The one at my partner's ran out so had to pick one up or smell like a boy all weekend!
    2 x Mouthwashes - on buy one get one free and I'd used the last one in my stash.
    1 x Benefit They're Real mascara - have really been eeking out the one I have but there's practically nothing left!
    1 x Nivea in shower moisturiser - on offer, and I'm lazy at moisturising after showers so this helps!
    1 x Boots sensitive hair removal cream. As the weather is getting warmer, I need to get my legs sorted haha!
    SPC 2016 number 058. Target £250....bring it on!
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 21st Mar 17, 6:54 PM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 10,173 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    My 5 by Summer

1 - UD Gwen Steffani Lipstick in Ex Girlfreind
    2 - UD Gwen Steffani Lipliner in Ex Girlfriend
    3 - UD Lip Gloss in Walk of Shame
    4 - Boss Ma Vie Perfume
    5 - Benefit Gimme Brow
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 21st Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 10,173 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    Not happy with my skin at the moment, its very dry and my hands are cracked and bleeding due to this cold spell. Hoping spring weather will come soon and my skin will heal.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 21st Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One sample UU:

Paula's Choice Resist 2% BHA Pore-Refining Treatment WPNB as I like the 2% BHA Liquid more. But this was nice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,937Posts Today

5,660Users online

Martin's Twitter