Spectacle frames: Are designer names worth the extra?

Options
Normally, I avoid the Designer section when looking at spectacle frames. My reasoning is that I am probably paying extra just for a "label".

But after a recent trip to the optician, I am no longer sure. Some designer brands such as D&G, Jaguar didn't impress me. They seemed to be cheaply made, with a brand name added on.
But others such as Police and Ray-Ban looked to be nicely designed, with well-made frames that would last.
I took the plunge and ordered some Police frames at £200. I will wear them every day, so time will tell if they are worth the extra.

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Generally no but with one or two notable exceptions IME.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Ime the main difference is that designer ones tend to look nicer. The lenses will be the same and made by the same person, and that's the only part where quality is relevant.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • mike004
    mike004 Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    > The lenses will be the same and made by the same person, and that's the only part where quality is relevant.<

I tend to disagree. If you are wearing specs for 12hrs a day, then how they look and how comfortable they feel are important.
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The quality of the frame is important !

Generally the designer ones will be a certain quality as poor quality would damage the brand.

The best quality frames are not branded. Silouette frames for example are expensive but I have patients wearing them 10 -15 years later with no problems.

A basic frame will probably last 3-4 years with reasonable care but will not be 5x cheaper!

The quality of Raybans are actually relatively poor in my opinion! but they sell very well due to the percived quality and brand.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have Ted Baker prescription sunglasses and Vision Express’ own brand normal glasses. I much prefer my prescription sunglasses and wear them all the time as they are much more comfortable and look better. I have issues with light sensitivity so sunglasses are better for me anyway but the frames are great.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just go by the style I like best, having tried about 40, of course.

At the moment I have a Specsavers own and a Twiggy pair.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 December 2017 at 6:21AM
    Options
    I've always shelled out for a designer pair, not so much for the label but more for the style. I always try on loads, like the entire store loads. I'll take a few pictures (I can't see anything without my glasses on and cannot wear contact lenses) then I'll come back a day or two later, repeat the whole thing again....It takes me the best part of weeks to make up my mind.

I end up taking notes on specific brands who's shape I like. What I find is that they change the frame style over the years but the shape doesn't seem to change. I know for example that the Prada styles I liked, the Chanel styles I didn't. I know the Ted Baker styles I liked, the own brand Vision Express (can't remember their designers name!) I didn't. It just cuts down on time if I have a clue where to start looking when I need a new pair. It's a rule of thumb more than an absolute, I'll always try anything, but so far I've stuck with that method for well over 10 years and it's proven true for me, I seem to end up with a short list of the same brands each time.

I tend to look for frames which will last me years. Yes I pay a lot for my frames (I have to pay a lot more for my lenses trust me!) so I expect my glasses to last me upwards of 3 years, my last pair managing 4 before I broke them. Hence why it's so important that I feel comfortable in them and I like how they look.

I save up for new frames and lenses and then also put the rest on credit, it's worth it if I don't look at my frames x months down the line and wish I'd chosen something else. Saving a few pounds in the short term seems worth it but in the long term when I've done that with other things, I've always regretted it thinking the cost per wear really didn't warrant the saving.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    I tend to look for frames which will last me years. Yes I pay a lot for my frames (I have to pay a lot more for my lenses trust me!) so I expect my glasses to last me upwards of 3 years, my last pair managing 4 before I broke them.

I like frames that last too. Up until recently, I was wearing the same pair that I got in 1980. They have just been retired and are now my spare pair. My current pair are the same style, although in a slightly larger size, and from the same maker. I can’t see any reason why they shouldn’t last as long.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    I don't necessarily buy designer frames just because they are designer frames - but as my glasses are the only item of 'clothing' that I wear every single day, with every single outfit and to every single occasion, they have to be right. And if the right ones happen to be designer ones, then so be it. Current ones are Ted Baker.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure