Broker Fee for declined mortgage application

selfemployed121
selfemployed121 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 15 December 2017 at 12:38AM in Mortgages & endowments
Hi, I need your assistance:-
I used a mortgage broker to apply a mortgage . Unfortunately, the lender declined my application due to defaults, which occurred nearly five years ago. The broker is not refunding the fee as he is blaming me for the inaccurate disclosure. However, the application was made on the premise that fee will be refunded if my application is declined.
Can anyone suggest what options are available to me?
Company:- Freelancer Financials
Mortgage Adviser: [Removed]

Comments

• what does it say on the terms of business you signed. Does it say their fees are refundable if your mortgage is declined. Ours say that non disclosure may mean loss of fees.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    What does the fee agreement/terms of business/illustration say about fees?

Why would you not tell the broker about adverse credit, it must have come up as a question in some form or another.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Firstly, I don't think it's at all appropriate to put the broker's name on this forum. Secondly, did you declare defaults? Brokers can only guide based on the information that they were provided with. Thirdly, is there anything in the terms of engagement regarding this? Was it an 'impression' that it may be returned, or fact?
  • Neutrinno
    Neutrinno Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 December 2017 at 12:30PM
    Not very fair to name and shame/slander the broker in question without providing the full details of the terms you agreed to, I think you should edit your post. Plus it sounds like you have gave the broker inaccurate information regarding your credit history, he could of wasted a lot of his time on your case because you haven't disclosed your previous credit issues.

It would be sensible to raise a complaint with the company before posting their details here.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Not all clever for you to name the individual when it is you that actually did wrong here but remain anonymous.
    Can anyone suggest what options are available to me?

it all comes down to what your contract/fee agreement says.

A very common model is that the broker will refund the fee if they cannot get the mortgage. However, if the mortgage is declined due to non-disclosure on your part, then the fee is not refunded.

If the fee agreement states that is their position then they are within their rights to not refund. The agreements should always state any refund terms.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Did you/Were you asked to produce a copy of a credit file before any lender recommendation was made, or did the broker take you at your word you have a clean credit record?

Is the broker working on an alternative?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Also how much are we talking about fees wise? If the case has passed an aip and then gone to full application with this only coming to light after weeks the client may have spent many hours on this case. If it is a declined aip then obviously much less time has been spent.

Did they ask you if you had any credit issues and you said no? I would expect the broker to ask.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • Why you say so!
    It was mentioned in our discussions and I was assured that fee is refundable if mortgage is declined. I was under impression that broker will check that lender has accepted me initially and then send all documents. What service has broker provided me for his fees? When I was doing application, he was assuring again and again that fee would be refunded and after that he is asking me to read the small print.
    That is a fact and I am very right to put his name here on this forum...
  • Why did you pay for broker advice???

Did you get an agreement in principle and then your application was rejected when they did a more complete check on you?
  • OP, is there any evidence in writing that you have informed broker of the defaults? Or is it basically you word against his?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure