PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moisture and damp in a Victorian house

Comments

• Also, get a damp checker on ebay and check yourself, costs under £10. Just search moisture meter. Then you can check tons of different walls and get a real idea what may or may not be a future problem.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Also, get a damp checker on ebay and check yourself, costs under £10. Just search moisture meter. Then you can check tons of different walls and get a real idea what may or may not be a future problem.

These meters have some use, where you already think that you might have a problem in a specific area because of other evidence, but arbitrarily sticking these on the wall surface, is *not* any way of diagnosing damp that is coming through brickwork. It is the brick that needs to be tested, not the surface of the wall, wallpaper or paint.

In this weather, the exterior walls of any unheated Victria. house will have condensation on them and will measure a reading because the meter only measures conductivity allowed by moisture. It doesn’t mean there is even a condensation problem, let alone a damp problem.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Also sometimes salts in the brickwork can make a damp meter read off the charts, when in fact it’s dry, so test with a hygrometer too. We are moving to a house with damp issues, mainly due to drains that need fixing, guttering issues, cement exterior render and cement pointing. Dont believe these damp companies they will cause more harm than good! Keep the building breathing, repair all the issues like guttering/ high ground level etc and use the right materials such as lime mortar/plaster.
  • Some houses are damp, and some aren't. Our current house (late Victorian) isn't, but we've had problems in the past in a modern house.

It may or may not be damp, but the fact that it's Victorian has nothing to do with it.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Definitely get a damp surveyor in.

But likely the moisture has been caused by the property not being heated and vented.

I purchased a vacant, smelt terrible for a while. Had been vacant for one winter, no venting or heating.
  • Doozergirl wrote: »
    These meters have some use, where you already think that you might have a problem in a specific area because of other evidence, but arbitrarily sticking these on the wall surface, is *not* any way of diagnosing damp that is coming through brickwork. It is the brick that needs to be tested, not the surface of the wall, wallpaper or paint.

In this weather, the exterior walls of any unheated Victria. house will have condensation on them and will measure a reading because the meter only measures conductivity allowed by moisture. It doesn’t mean there is even a condensation problem, let alone a damp problem.

Thanks for tips, i guess the trickier the damp problem the less use they are. Just saying i have great results with mine, 6 properties checked now and it got them all spot on. But yeah with some very old potentially damp property i guess you need to check everything deep in structure. I would not buy anything like that personally.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for tips, i guess the trickier the damp problem the less use they are. Just saying i have great results with mine, 6 properties checked now and it got them all spot on. But yeah with some very old potentially damp property i guess you need to check everything deep in structure. I would not buy anything like that personally.

What did they reveal, what physical evidence then presented itself and how did you rectify the issues?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • It is a fantastic house, although I don't get attached to houses.

Yes it was purchased by some builders who have done it up. So new decoration inside and throughout.

The floor under the carpet is original and suspended, so I'm guessing no one has used concrete.

The previous owner was clever, in some areas.
    The new double glazing has excellent vents on all the windows which actually work.
    The new roof is real slate.
    The front and back of the house were painted, presumably to protect it, The side walls were not.
    I think all the pointing was re-done too (but not with lime mortar so a mistake there)
  • newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 December 2017 at 8:34PM
    (I had already read that chemical DPCs were bad for period properties hence why I am posting on here)

I'm pretty sure all the skirting boards are original.

I am going to buy a moisture meter and inspect the walls myself, inside and out on the exposed bricks. And also look for condensation.

Does it matter which one you buy?
  • PokerPlayer111
    PokerPlayer111 Posts: 343 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2017 at 9:25PM
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    What did they reveal, what physical evidence then presented itself and how did you rectify the issues?

Ok so i will explain if you are interested, its not near expert level stuff though lol and you will find many holes to pick in the logic. But i would say its much better than just checking with you eyes or hands. Some property i've checked out recently:

Property 1 = my mums property, = flat in building.

Known damp issues on 2 walls inside, it was pretty bad, mold etc. Measured 42% on the spikey damp checker. The damp guys came along and tanked the entire rooms. It, still actually measures 42% on the damp checker and she then had problems come back through the tanking already.

Property 2 = my own rented property it read the walls perfectly, the damp area it spots, (which we were told was salts coming through the paint) - its not its damp. All other walls it read dry and we've had no problems.

Property 3 = This was 1 i went to view, freshly painted renovated, i check all the walls, on 1 wall on the inside it read 20% iirc. I went out on the outer wall and go over 40% on the outside brick and this was on a dry but cold day. Anyway turns out they had a drainage problem on that part of the wall/outside and "the problem was now solved a while back" - yet it still read higher than any other wall in the house by some amount, all other walls under 10% etc, even on outside. So that stopped me buying that house.

Property 4 = Oldish terrace, the estate agent told before we went in it did have a damp spot under stairs in corridor but when i checked the damp meter reading was decent all over under the stairs, was very confusing. I ended up finding the real problem though and the estate agent had been giving wrong info, was above the stairs in a corner, damp meter read very high but nothing was viewable. Turns that previous people were about to buy this property until their survey revealed this damp spot which the spikey damp checker for £10 could have picked out for them.

I got a couple more stories but i found a bone dry house and put offer in. I just dont like chance of mold and i also have stock at home so need a dry place. :) . Also my mum has had a real hard time with her place, i dont want to deal with something like she has.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure