The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Can we do anything about toxic posts?

Comments

• IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's a culture thing. People learn pretty quickly what goes and I'd say that there is an excess of pointless nasty comments.

It's not necessarily about moderation - plenty of fairly robust forums I've been on are well behaved - but once a culture sets in it does require hard moderation to modify - or fellow members to make it clear enough what is acceptable for it to lose interest for the trolls.

The only real fix is to try and behave properly and set an example, however, the forum membership is very mixed and has a high turnover so it would be hard to modify.

I think the main point I'd make given the particular mix of users here is that people should try and ignore commenting negatively on other people's answers but instead try and beat them with better quality answers. Where there is a lot of opinion and speculation, you are never going to win the day simply telling people they are wrong and berating them for it, far better create a positive atmosphere of simply providing better answers and letting the readers work it out - that's what the user thanks system is for in the end. (I'd also recommend that people avoid thanking posts that are anything but constructive, helpful comments).
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I read and sometimes contribute to a Jaguar owners forum as I have a much-loved xj8

A Jag? This is a money saving forum! You should be driving a Yaris. If you can afford a Jag you shouldn't need to save money. This reminds me of a time a Jag cut me up. Can I have compensation? The police are amazing. The police are terrible.

Are you Dark Matter?

You mean like that?!
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Or the regulars that accuse every new member of being dark matter

It'll be the end of dark days when that matter'a resolved.... ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Herzlos wrote: »
    It seems almost every thread has some smart arris chipping in with something totally irrelevant like digs at the choice of car/brand when the post is about finance terms.

The name of the site is Money Saving Expert. Buying a car you can't afford on PCP is pretty much the polar opposite of what this site is about. The problem with PCP and people buying expensive cars on them is they don't actually seem to understand what the total amount they're paying is and for many we seem to get posts 2/3 years in that they can't afford that BMW M3 they got on PCP whilst working on NMW and want to get out.

I will never ever apologise about banging on about PCP because it is a crappy deal. There are no upsides to it other than for the manufacturer and the dealer.
  • There may be some posts on here which could be taken as rude(mostly when the OP of a thread refuses to either take advice or supply enough information to get good advice) but I think the bigger problem are the trolls who continually get PPR`d and come back.
    There is one posting on Motoring who has had at least 6 different user names that I can think of.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Personally I just skim over the irrelevant posts in any thread.

Not sure my definition of toxic agrees with yours though.

Ignoring it is easy enough to do but I wonder how many first time posters are put off by it - we see a huge number of one-off questions with no follow up and I can't say I blame them.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    *People who don't accept answers or good advice that does not meet with what they wish to hear.

*People who simply refuse to understand the advice given, by which I mean that they don't read all the posts and have to be redirected back to Post # xxxx in order to read, digest and understand. Which they cba to do, but continue to ask the same questions.

*People who answer by talking in terms that the OP obviously struggles to understand. These are the (thankfully rare) self-appointed "Experts".

Is that what you mean?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Herzlos wrote: »
    It seems almost every thread has some smart arris chipping in with something totally irrelevant like digs at the choice of car/brand when the post is about finance terms. As I understand it this sub forum has a bad repution for toxicity already, which is a shame because there's a lot of good advice hidden amongst the snark and gloating.

Can we do anything about it or should I just find a better place to talk about cars.

I don't think there is a problem with people not sticking exactly to the subject at hand if they want to give their opinion considering this is a open discussion forum. But I certainly wouldnt call any posts toxic, but I can accept that people have a different opinion to me which some people struggle with.
    Merlin139 wrote: »
    2 choices:

Scroll past,

or

Anytime you get a post that falls into the category you are referring too add them to your ignore list. View profile and add to ignore list under user lists. You will know they have posted in future but it says they are on ignore list.

I don't see why anyone would use the ignore list feature. If someone is posting unrelated spam to advertise a website / service etc or if they are purposely being offensive then they will soon be banned and pays removed.

So if you have to put an active forum member on your ignore list you must be a pretty sensitive person or be one of the people who have a problem with people who have a different opinion than you.
  • tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »
    The name of the site is Money Saving Expert. Buying a car you can't afford on PCP is pretty much the polar opposite of what this site is about. The problem with PCP and people buying expensive cars on them is they don't actually seem to understand what the total amount they're paying is and for many we seem to get posts 2/3 years in that they can't afford that BMW M3 they got on PCP whilst working on NMW and want to get out.

I will never ever apologise about banging on about PCP because it is a crappy deal. There are no upsides to it other than for the manufacturer and the dealer.

I think Herzlos point is the other way round in this case (although your example applies when buying expensive). Someone wanting advice for buying a reasonable priced car. In the post I know has led to this thread, someone wanted advice for buying a Renault/Nissan. Perfectly fine cars, i've got one and its the best car I've ever had. Also perfectly reasonable, decent price. Someone had a enquiry, yes PCP isn't ideal, but advice could have been given. Instead of help they were greeted with comments such as "Renault are terrible" and the "only car they make i'd consider is the GT-R".

I suspect that didn't particularly aid them, moneysaving or not. Although you never know. They may have turned to the dealer and said i never thought of that, please cancel my Micra order and take £80,000 off me please.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tho wrote: »
    I think Herzlos point is the other way round in this case (although your example applies when buying expensive). Someone wanting advice for buying a reasonable priced car. In the post I know has led to this thread, someone wanted advice for buying a Renault/Nissan. Perfectly fine cars, i've got one and its the best car I've ever had. Also perfectly reasonable, decent price. Someone had a enquiry, yes PCP isn't ideal, but advice could have been given. Instead of help they were greeted with comments such as "Renault are terrible" and the "only car they make i'd consider is the GT-R".

I suspect that didn't particularly aid them, moneysaving or not. Although you never know. They may have turned to the dealer and said i never thought of that, please cancel my Micra order and take £80,000 off me please.

As it was my post I feel I should respond to this. At the time I posted it looked like the OP in that thread might have to walk away from the purchase that they intended to make (although that seems to have resolved itself now). So I took the opportunity to point out my view that it gave the OP a chance to look elsewhere (and I never said "Renault are terrible", even though I think they are, those are your words). I still think it was a moneysaving post, if the OP buys and then in 6 months regrets that decision and sells then they'll have lost a lot of money.

If you like Renault/Nissan cars that's perfectly fine, I don't like them so I'm not sure why you feel I can't express that view too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure