Returning Christmas presents to sender?

Comments

• pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Phone them and ask if they want the back.
  • cyantist
    cyantist Posts: 560 Forumite
    pearl123 wrote: »
    Phone them and ask if they want the back.

As we have been actually blocked on all social media accounts, rather than just unfriended/unfollowed I doubt they'd pick up anyway. I would be very surprised if our phone numbers havent been blocked as well. Her attitude has been childish and quite upsetting so I don't really want to try calling.
  • Open them, you never know it might just be bits of tat and smellies, in which case no need to feel guilty about either binning or charity-shopping the gifts.

Trouble is, if you open it and find it's actually something useful.. hm, what're you going to do then..
  • cyantist
    Trouble is, if you open it and find it's actually something useful.. hm, what're you going to do then..

Indeed: and I think most of them are for my daughter and I know kind of what it is and it would be useful
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So a few weeks, back you were best friends and now you dislike each other to this extent?
    Blocking phone numbers and removing from group chat?! How old are you guys? Seriously. Maybe they did something really terrible in which case fair enough but is it really that serious?
    If this were me I'd use the season of goodwill to make amends. Be the bigger person and reach out to them.
    But if they did kill your cat or open a credit card in your name, donate the gifts to charity.
  • cyantist
    So a few weeks, back you were best friends and now you dislike each other to this extent?
    Blocking phone numbers and removing from group chat?! How old are you guys? Seriously. Maybe they did something really terrible in which case fair enough but is it really that serious?
    If this were me I'd use the season of goodwill to make amends. Be the bigger person and reach out to them.
    But if they did kill your cat or open a credit card in your name, donate the gifts to charity.

I'm not sure if it's unclear from my posts - but my husband and I have not blocked or unfriended anyone, nor have we left any group chats.

That is what they have done, after falling out with us and saying they don't want to be friends anymore, and I whole-heartedly agree with you that it is exceptionally childish.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I'm guessing none of this is your daughter's fault?

So let your daughter have her presents, and assuming you have their postal address, she can write and thank them for the gifts.

You could then just open yours and regift them to someone who would appreciate them, but you should still WRITE (pen and paper) to thank them.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    if you keep them they will assume that all is well between you. Return them, then they will know where they stand.
  • cyantist
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    I'm guessing none of this is your daughter's fault?

So let your daughter have her presents, and assuming you have their postal address, she can write and thank them for the gifts.

You could then just open yours and regift them to someone who would appreciate them, but you should still WRITE (pen and paper) to thank them.

In a way it's entirely her fault (it's complicated)... but she is just a baby and has obviously done nothing wrong and I'm sure she would appreciate the presents. While she can't write and thank them we'd be happy to send a thank you card on her behalf.
    Judi wrote: »
    if you keep them they will assume that all is well between you. Return them, then they will know where they stand.

Given they have told us they don't want to be friends anymore, and have blocked us on several outlets, I don't think us keeping them will make them think everything is ok!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    cyantist wrote: »
    In a way it's entirely her fault (it's complicated)... but she is just a baby and has obviously done nothing wrong and I'm sure she would appreciate the presents. While she can't write and thank them we'd be happy to send a thank you card on her behalf.

Given they have told us they don't want to be friends anymore, and have blocked us on several outlets, I don't think us keeping them will make them think everything is ok!

I'd accept the presents graciously and send a thank you on her behalf. Then just leave it. If they want to take your behaviour over the present as an olive branch then you can discuss it further.

I have to say that all this social media blocking does sound very juvenile although you seem to find it fairly normal . I'd think twice about getting too friendly again with such immature people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure