Rip off equine insurance.

My sister sadly lost her horse to colic, she had the previous year rented him out to a young woman.A contract was drawn up and signed by both parties.The insurance company refuses to pay out for the vet bill and taking the horse away, their reason being that whilst the horse was being rented there was no evidence of any booster shots.Try as she may, the young women refuses to receive any contact or give evidence of dates of inoculation.Therefore you could guess that the horse did not receive the due booster shots. What can my sister do? Has anybody else come across this problem before?. I'd be grateful for advice.

Comments

• BargainGalore
    BargainGalore Posts: 5,243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Your better posting this in this part of forum for a proper response.

Pets & Pet Care <==click or Insurance & Life Assurance
    <==click
  • My sister sadly lost her horse to colic, she had the previous year rented him out to a young woman.A contract was drawn up and signed by both parties.The insurance company refuses to pay out for the vet bill and taking the horse away, their reason being that whilst the horse was being rented there was no evidence of any booster shots.Try as she may, the young women refuses to receive any contact or give evidence of dates of inoculation.Therefore you could guess that the horse did not receive the due booster shots. What can my sister do? Has anybody else come across this problem before?. I'd be grateful for advice.

Very unusual to rent a horse so was it (a) leased (b) on loan (c) used as a riding school horse?

If its E&L then you may as well give up now as they never payout but in case its someone else- did they know the horse was no longer in your care? Insurance can also wriggle out of paying as the small print usually requires a full worming & dental history too..

Have you got the passport? Was the horse at a yard in which case the yard owner may have records? the vet would be able to confirm IF you get permission from the young woman (by young, i am assuming over 18 as any younger and the contract would have to be with a parent)

I've both loaned & loaned out horses and best practise as an owner is to buy wormers etc & arrange the vet yourself for vaccinations.

unless the horse had flu or tetanus, it may be worth your own vet writing a report to the insurance company as i've had some claim rejections overturned once the vet had made it very clear that the claim had nothing to do with exclusions etc

Sad for all concerned but colic is a common cause of death in horses :(
    If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, its just possible you haven't grasped the situation ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure