Why are vets not regulated?

Options
Am amazed they are not, and only found that out today. Vet charges are extortionate. Yes, I have insurance, but even so, they
take their cut too...mine charges £99 for a new claim. Was voted the best pet insurance too (wasn't the reason I chose them) recently. Any insurance you choose will not cover dental work.
We all love our pets, but come on, when they get ill and need to be seen, I feel we are being fleeced.

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    PJ62 wrote: »
    Am amazed they are not, and only found that out today. Vet charges are extortionate. Yes, I have insurance, but even so, they
    take their cut too...mine charges £99 for a new claim. Was voted the best pet insurance too (wasn't the reason I chose them) recently. Any insurance you choose will not cover dental work.
    We all love our pets, but come on, when they get ill and need to be seen, I feel we are being fleeced.

Compare vets fees against private medical treatment. Similar types of expense for vet and private hospital hence the charges.
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Vets are registered http://www.rcvs.org.uk/registration/check-the-register/register-categories/
    And you can raise concerns http://www.rcvs.org.uk/concerns/

But I doubt anyone will take much consideration about pricing complaints though, vets need to make money to stay afloat and do their job, you're able to check prices beforehand and pick an alternative vet if needed
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pets on the whole are a luxury, if you can't afford to look after a luxury don't have one.
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    There's general concern that most vets don't charge enough: there was a survey last year that showed 15% of practices have negative profitability, ie are paying to stay in business.

And I suspect the £99 is a processing fee for the practice, and your excess for your policy. Unless it's a high end referral practice.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure