Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Options

Comments

• savingfortomorrow
    Options
    lessons learned i was going to suggest going into primark and with the wealth coloured tops hold them towards yourself. I learned many years ago yellow and orange toned colours look rotten on me. I like vivid jewel colours and bright shades. You might find a shawl or drapping a cardiagan or even a leather jacket could give a different look to items you have already.
    Did you try changing lipstick colours to give a more brighter look '- some cheap ranges like essence and maybeliine are fashion forward.

welcome angeljenny i hope you enjoy the fabbing process

sugarbaby while it must be tiring for you, your brother must appreciate all your efforts. I admire all your energy.

I put on a new dress and tried my best today but what a day. It felt if i tried to laasoo the moon it would have more chance of success. A total bad day and some my fault, luck was not with me and i got a lot of abuse. It makes you feel belittled and less that your true worth. I wonder why I try but that was the day that was and tomorrow will be a different day and hopefully better.
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    maman re bra in tkmax every time i have to grab the full rack of bras and them into a fitting room as the sizes vary a huge amount; I find that there is a lot if variation between brands. I used a new padded bra... it is so effective the coat could not fit on the bust! (bad day)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    SFT. Hope you have a better day to day.

My big problem at the moment is the dreadful tiredness. After yesterdays exertions I was drained last evening and could hardly function.

I had planned to both go swimming today and then food shopping, but because I was so shattered yesteday I have decided to do the food shop today and save the swimming for another day. It's perhaps best if I just scale back for a while.

So frustrating though. I just hope I feel a bit more energitic for my holiday because it's a pretty full on itinerary. I might have been better with a fortnight just lazing in a beach instead of dashing round the Baltic capitals. :rotfl:

Interesting chat about bras......I havent been measured in years. What's the betting I've got it all wrong too.

I have booked a massage and facial for next week at a new salon. I have finished Physio for now so that will save me some money.

So I have decided to have a massage every so often just to try and stop the muscles knotting up too much. (had terrible leg spasms last evening so must do stretches today). I havent had a professional facial in years. Really looking forward to it.

No real plans for the weekend, just hoping to enjoy the forecasted sun. I have plenty of books to read so I'm going to indulge myself, reading, hopefully eating al fresco, enjoying a bit of early summer.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Ps Fab Friday today. :D
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LL - you may find an energetic holiday energising :)

Re. the legs - if it's restless legs then make sure you're getting enough salt/magnesium/potassium and iron in your diet (I get them as a side effect of iron deficiency). Also make sure you exercise enough (mine are much better behaved if I walk 12k steps/6 miles a day). If all else fails, try flight socks.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I'm another not surprised that M&S got it wrong. My best two fittings have been in independent shops. I think M& S have gone downhill across the boards. One is a department store and I was disappointed on my last visit as they seemed short of staff so the assistant was finding it hard to cope with me and other customers at the same time. I said I'd go back but I haven't. Cutting back on staff seems a sign of the times.:( The other is a shop that just does lingerie and swimwear in a nearby town so I think I might go there soon.

I think you could become addicted to dancing indie.:D I'm delighted that I've joined this new group as the dancing is so exhilarating ( the other group had got so stale).

M&S don't seem to stock much that really interests me in their clothes these days - am having to re-think where I do my shopping, especially now I've lost weight and have a bit more choice. Also having to think through what to buy as this is a holding position rather than final destination. I am buying 12s on top and 14s on the bottom and I think I would look good at 10 on top and 12 on the bottom so want to buy enough to celebrate success so far and to not be in danger of running out of clothes, but not so much I feel really disgruntled when I shrink out of it. At least most of my larger clothes had got a reasonable amount of wear before I started to lose weight this year.

I am buying quite a bit in Oasis - they have nice tops that work for nights out with friends and I've found some good trousers for work. I like White stuff for casual wear - not much black and beige and boring in there. Kettlewell still provide a lot of my tops. Jeans I used to get in M&S but now I know I can fit into proper brands like Levis I'd rather go there as the denim is better quality - have got some of White Stuff''s crops and jeggins too and they are really comfortable.

Work dresses I am struggling - I used to like phase eight but they seem to do more occasion wear now. I have a few onjenu dresses but their prints haven't been ones that I've liked so much in recent time, will have to have another look as they get new things in all the time. Am going to try and hold off on dresses for the summer though. I have some trousers from Oasis and some old linen skirts from Hobbs that I hadn't worn for a while as they had got too snug and I think between those I should be able to last until I've gone down another dress size. At least not being client facing I can live without a suit for the summer. I probably will get one once I've settled at a size I want to stick. Although thinking about it, I have a couple of trouser suits tucked away somewhere that stopped fitting before I moved to London so I should dig them out as they might fit now.

I adore Emily and Fin dresses for weekend wear - I have some that are getting a little loose on top but I think I might be able to take the ones with back zips in down the size seams. In any case, they do a once a year huge sale in Spitalfields where they bring out all their back stock and last time they charged only £25 a dress which is a big discount. So I will wait until that to get any new weekend dresses. I could live in separates for much of the summer.

I think I will need some summer cardigans as my knitwear is looking a bit droopy now and maybe a lightweight jacket and then in the summer get a few lighter t shirts and shorts for when jeans get too hot - but think will explore some cheaper shops for those - I think Sainsbury's is good for the price.

Anyway, my bank balance is telling me I've spent enough on clothes over the last few weeks so I must restrain myself a bit for the rest of the month. Maybe a couple more bras (though I am struggling with the new ones, wondering if they have gone too small on the band - it leaves a deep red mark on the side of my rib cage when I take it off) and I am working in Edinburgh at the end of the month and staying in a hotel with a pool so I might get a swimming costume. But I can delay summer ts and shorts anyway and check out charity shops for budget boosts. At least they stock more in my current size than previous, though lack of colour still a bit of an issue.

What kind of dance do you do Maman? I did go to Ceroc on Wednesday but compromised by not staying too late. There weren't that many people to dance with anyway - quite a few incredibly good people turned up for the freestyle but just wanted to dance with each other. They did look amazing though, was enjoyable watching them and imagining what it would be like to dance like that.

42nd Street was amazing - I know it's hard work for the dancers, but it must be fun getting a standing ovation every time you go to work.

LL good thinking getting a colour review before you invest in your wardrobe once you've shifted the weight you want to lose. I knew a bit about colour before I had mine done but I was still mighty surprised to find myself an autumn instead of a spring as my skin is quite pale and my hair even under the highlights I had at the time wasn't that dark. I am not sure we are always our best judge of which colours are the best for us, and I would have carried on with the highlights if I hadn't been told to reconsider.

savingfortomorrow good tip re TK Maxx for bras... they are so pricey usually. I need to look at sportswear there too - my work out leggings are getting lose. I have bought some Maybelline lipsticks too - the lip stains with the balm you put over the top - they do last longer than my regular lipsticks and they don't seem too drying.

I bought an expensive neck serum and a facial massager in Space NK yesterday - bit worried I am getting a little loose skin under my chin with the weight loss. Hopefully it will do the trick!

Right, time for a quick shower and then knuckle down to some work. I am out tonight for dinner so I can get fabbed up then but comfort will rule till then.

Have a fab Friday all x
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Indie when I was wearing office appropriate dresses, quite a few were M&S, Principles and Hobbs, with a couple of Planet ones too. I agree about Phase Eight, and nearly all of their shifts have round necklines which are not flattering on me :(

Am in Caffe Nero for my weekly hot choc fix...skinny indigo jeans, navy & white striped long t-shirt, white Converse and grey pleather jacket, with my bright orange Carvela bag :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Greenbee. It's not restless legs it's the long abductor muscle that plays up. My Physio gave me some stretches for it, but I'm afraid it's my fault I'm not always as diligent as I should be.:o. Mea culpa.
    I've just recently started taking magnesium so hopefully it will improve soon.

And yes you may well be right about the energetic holiday - I might end up feeling more energised rather than tired. You are definitely right about the walking. I'm nowhere near 12k steps yet but I'm building up. Walking more is definitely helping.

Re. Nice shops. don't get me started on another high street rant.:rotfl: M&S seem to have lost the plot.

All I can say is.....don't they want our money.:rotfl: dont they realise that more mature women have more spending power than the youngsters.

They ignore the grey £ at their peril. But....,.in true MSE we want quality and style. So much of it isn't just as dull as ditchwater, it's shoddy.

I do need a few decent bits for my holiday. I didn't want to buy any more larger clothes but I'm going to have to. It's frustrating I have Some really nice clothes just hanging there in the wardrobe.... if only I could shift some weight.

I did pop into Bon Marche yesterday. I know, I know :rotfl: but actually they did have a few decent pieces. Some nice Capri pants which I wear instead of shorts and maybe some white jeans. I have enough lightweight linen trousers but they might not be warm enough for the Baltic. It's so much easier to pack when you know you are more or less guaranteed the weather. Either hot or cold us pretty straight forward, but May at northern lattitudes can be unpredictable.

Right I'm off to Aldis.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Indie - as you are in London maybe go to Rigby & Peller for a fitting. I do this when I find I've changed shape significantly so I can see how things should fit. The bras are expensive, but I've never had a bad fitting there.
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find M&S really vary on the sizes and lengths which is frustrating. I must have tried ten pairs of same size jeans on before I got some that fit. I was going to buy another pair but the black ones I am a different length (really?!) and the nice blue ones have been tipped by Glamour as one of the best straight jeans so of course they have sold out in my szie at £35 a pair. I'm going to try the 8 as the 10 is fairly loose on my waist. I struggle anyway as I really do not suit slim fit or skinnies, and I'm a 30 leg. Most places seem to do 32 as standard.

I'd prefer levis but can't find any in stock in a 30 leg from somewhere it is easy to send them back if they don't fit me. I wouldn't have a clue on the waist size either.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Indie - as you are in London maybe go to Rigby & Peller for a fitting. I do this when I find I've changed shape significantly so I can see how things should fit. The bras are expensive, but I've never had a bad fitting there.

I might do that, thanks. I recall getting a fitting there years ago and almost falling over in shock when they tried to sell me a £60 bra but if it's comfortable maybe it's worth it. I have to confess I am wearing my M&S one round the house today. It might not be supportive enough but the stiffness of the new Freya one is almost unbearable.

Am feeling rather pleased with myself today. I am wearing a pair of cropped trousers I bought in GAP many years ago. They didn't get much wear before I grew out of them but this morning I tried them on out of curiousity and they fit - first time since 2002. I have two pairs, a stone one and navy. Not really smart ones I would wear on a night out, but perfectly decent for day wear and might even service for hiking, certainly do me for seaside day trips and pottering about. I also found the trousers suits I mentioned do fit too. So those with my new Kettlewell tops, Oasis trousers and old Hobbs skirts should get me through summer at work :-)

Greenbee I need 30 length in jeans too and it's hard to find - one advantage of M&S is the shorter length. I am going to take my new jeans to the dry cleaner to be shortened - washed them first to be on the safe side although as I wash at 30 degrees I don't think they should shrink in the wash anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure